DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Capture to Prem 1.5 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/78966-capture-prem-1-5-a.html)

Allan Sealey November 6th, 2006 12:38 AM

Capture to Prem 1.5

Hi Hoping for some assistance. Connected my FX1 with ilink into Prem 1.5 but it won't capture.
Have camera set on VCR HDV/DV auto . Ilink on HDV-DV . AV-Dv off
connect lead to computer first, open program, connect lead to camera and turn it on, but won't capture. Any ideas?
Thanks

Joe Lawry November 6th, 2006 02:01 AM

Try connecting the camera and computer with neither the camera on or program running, then switch the camera on, and once its going boot the program.

Allan Sealey November 6th, 2006 03:45 AM

No capture

Thanks Joe, will give it a try. I spoke to Sony, they said that The FX1 is only compatable with Vegas, but will work in Windows movie maker. The guy wasn't interested in Premier, wouldn't discuss it.
I tried capturing in Vegas and it worked fine, but I don't like Vegas personally and don't feel happy being stong armed into use it.

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 6th, 2006 09:07 AM

That is a load of bunk.
Premiere Pro and PP2 both can capture HDV, and no way would Sony tech support tell you that the FX1 is "only compatible with Vegas." You might have thought you heard that, but I sincerely doubt that is what was said. Premiere ships as an editing app on *every* Sony computer sold, not Vegas.
1. Be sure you don't have down convert enabled on the camcorder.
2. Be sure you've opened an HDV project in Premiere.
3. That's about it.

Allan Sealey November 6th, 2006 09:29 AM

That's what the guy from Sony said today. Said Vegas is the compatable editing software they recommend, then said I could try opening in Widows movie make to see if it worked. I asked about Prem 1.5, but he said he didn't know the workings of it, only Vegas. That was the end of the conversation.
Perhaps the reason why the FX1 is not capturing in Prem 1.5.1 is the version I have is a demo with the upgrade. I know the settings on the camera are right and it captures in Vegas easily.

Douglas Spotted Eagle November 6th, 2006 09:37 AM

1. Saying that Sony told you that the FX1 is "only compatible with Vegas", vs saying that the Sony rep "doesn't know the FX1/Premiere Pro workflow" are two VERY different animals and puts Sony in an undeserved bad light. I wouldn't expect the Sony rep to know anything about Adobe Premiere Pro, particularly an old version. If you're talking to the Sony support group in Austin or SanDiego, I trained those guys in HDV, and didn't show them any workflow other than Vegas.

2. your answer lies in the fact that you have a DEMO version of Premiere. The Demo version doesn't come with an MPEG decoder, because Adobe (and everyone else) has to pay a royalty on every decoder installation, making it unfeasible to offer it in the demo mode. Use a purchased version, your problem will go away.

Allan Sealey November 6th, 2006 07:53 PM

Thanks for the info on the demo prem 1.5. The Sony contact I had was with Sony Australia. The two people I spoke to weren't overly helpful and I came off the phone none the wiser.