Z1U Prices??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Closed Thread

Old November 7th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #1
New Boot

Z1U Prices???

Okay, what's the deal. I'm ready to buy a Z1 any minute now... so I do a search online and find this place: http://www.royalcamera.com/snhvrz1.html

Their price at around 10a this morning was listed $2179.00! I called and the rep said the camera comes with a 90-day parts warranty, no battery, etc.

Now I go back and the price is $2849.00. WTF? Anyone have experience with places like this? Seems like prices change by the minute? Same thing at bestpricecameras.com - this morning= $3799., now = $3599. About 2 weeks ago = $3369. Not kidding, I've got printouts of some of the variances.

Doing a search online, the prices range from this being the lowest to of course upper $4,000's. What's legit to pay??

Thanks all for any help.
Old November 7th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

According to

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1895.html

royalcamera.com is one of the many bait-and-switch scam shops. Before you buy check with

http://resellerratings.com

B&H is your best bet for a decent price with no risk of getting ripped off.
Old November 7th, 2006, 03:16 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Dan.
What do these bait and switch places actually do?
Old November 7th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #4
Inner Circle

> What do these bait and switch places actually do?

Bait and switch means to lure in a customer with a good deal on one product yet try to sell them another, usually with a higher profit margin for the store.

Generally, these places advertise a price for a camcorder that is only available to if you buy it in a kit with a number of overpriced accessories. That is, you are unable to buy only the camcorder for the too-good-to-be-true price.

Sometimes, these places will sell you returned, grey or even refurbished merchandise when you think that you are paying for a new unit.
Old November 7th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #5
Inner Circle

> no battery, etc.

or sell you a unit stripped of accessories so that you *have* to buy their accessories.
Old November 7th, 2006, 05:34 PM   #6
Trustee

As a consequence of several unpleasent experiences over the years, my rule of thumb is: if the advertised price is more than 5%-10% lower than B&H, don't go there. If it's too good to believe then it's probably not gonna happen.
Old November 7th, 2006, 06:38 PM   #7
Wrangler

Please patronize the DVinfo sponsors. Not only do they make this site possible, but they have been hand picked for excellent customer service, competitive prices and integrity. Out of respect for them, we don't allow discussion of other vendors. See the full sponsor list here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/sponsors/
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1