DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Decision between Fx1E and Fx7E (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/79414-decision-between-fx1e-fx7e.html)

Yow Siang November 12th, 2006 04:05 AM

Decision between Fx1E and Fx7E

Hi Guys,

What would you advice...

Fx1E - US$2799
FX7E - US$3499

Is there any real advantage with the newer model? have heard the newer model has better focusing and wider dynamic range..
Any advice would be appreciated.

John M. Graham November 13th, 2006 07:25 PM

Yow,

I personally would buy the FX1 over the FX7. In fact, I did. I just recently purchased my FX1. I was considering waiting for the FX7, but I felt that the FX1 would be the better camera for me. I like the better low-light performance, and the look and feel of the FX1. I love the LCD placement, and how it feels in my hand. I also do video work with two guys who have FX1's and Z1U's, so I wanted a camera that would mix perfectly.

The FX7 is pretty cool... it's lightweight, more compact, better dynamic range... but that's about it... It doesn't have progressive scan like the V1U or all the other professional features...

To me, it seems like a dumbed down, simpler-looking FX1. It looks a lot like a consumer cam. Especially since it has that light silver color (yuck!). That mic on the FX7 looks pretty cheap too if you ask me.

Oh, and I like the zoom ring a lot on the FX1. I used to own the VX2100, which has the same zoom ring as the FX7, and it doesn't compare to the one on the FX1.

AND LASTLY, the FX7 costs MORE! The FX1 is definitely the better deal.

Yow Siang November 13th, 2006 08:56 PM

Hi John,
THank you for sharing your thoughts i think i know where i should put my money in now. just a quick question, what is the different between the zoom ring?

Quote:

Originally Posted by John M. Graham
Oh, and I like the zoom ring a lot on the FX1. I used to own the VX2100, which has the same zoom ring as the FX7, and it doesn't compare to the one on the FX1.

Joe Lawry November 14th, 2006 02:07 AM

The zoom ring on the Fx7 spins indefinately. where as the fx1's zoom ring is like a broadcast zoom and has a start and stop point however still control the zoom via servos..

Boyd Ostroff November 14th, 2006 10:07 AM

I think there are advantages and disadvantages to both kinds of zoom rings. Neither camera has a true "manual" ring, they both just provide data to servo motors.

True, the Z1 and FX1 have a zoom ring with a peg and manual stops. At first this seemed like a really good idea to me. But I like to do very slow subtle zooms, and the Z1 zoom ring is useless for that. If you like to do fast zooms you will probably like the FX1 better.

I only played with the V1 briefly, but I think the zoom ring is more like my VX-2000. That camera will give me nice slow, even zooms by continuously rotating the ring slowly. You really can't do anything close to that with the Z1/FX1 zoom ring, although the rocker switch will give you extremely slow zooms (after lots of practice).

But there's another fundamental difference. On my Z1 I can zoom out full wide using the ring, then flip the switch and use the zoom rocker for awhile. If I zoom halfway in with the rocker, then switch back to the ring, the camera will instantly zoom back full wide to match the position where I left the ring. However, since the V1 ring spins continuously this won't happen.