Timecode burn from Z1U? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 2nd, 2006, 06:22 AM   #1
New Boot

Timecode burn from Z1U?

Hello all,

I am trying to solve a problem with people out in the field with Z1U's being able to get footage with TC burn out of a Z1U.

I can't find any option to turn on output of TC display while going into a laptop via firewire.

I don't need full resolution stuff, as this is just to have the footage with the TC as a reference. So, we're not talking about a full editing set-up, but a lap-top and a Z1U, and I'm trying to find a way to get the footage into the laptops with TC burn (no matter where in the world they are) before the tapes get back to the edit bay. However, being in various countries doesn't mean I can say "run out to Fryes Electronics and pick up a ***".

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to do this easily?

Thanks a lot!

-RR
Rachael Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 10:18 AM   #2

There is no way to send a window burn that I'm aware of. Various softwares will allow you to insert a window burn, or you can use a monitoring software that will allow you to see the incoming as a burn, but that's the only method I'm aware of.
The T/C is embedded in the stream, and the Z1 and Sony decks will allow you to see the data code at any time.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 11:30 AM   #3
Inner Circle

This software on your laptop will allow you to do what you want , I think?
http://www.enosoft.net/enosoftdvprocessor.html

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2006, 11:39 AM   #4

The Enosoft software is very clever stuff, been playing with it for a bit, but it's DV-only. It can't manage the HDV stream.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 12:12 PM   #5
New Boot

Could it handle it downconverted

Thanks Douglas spotted Eagle and Ron. I appreciate your info.

I'm not shooting with this camera myself so I'm not totally familiar with it (I'm shooting HD XD mostly), but can't you downconvert in the camera and output SD? In that case, would this software not be able to handle it?

Just wondering.

-RR
Old December 2nd, 2006, 12:44 PM   #6

If you set the cam to downconvert on the fly (1394 output) then yes, Enosoft can handle it. The nice thing is that with the Z1, you can record HDV and output DV at the same time.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 01:09 PM   #7
New Boot

I thought so! Thanks!

I just downloaded it. I will get someone with a Z1U to try it, and I will report back how it goes! It looks like it will do the trick.

It looks like there are some other very useful features there too.

Ron, do you know the cost of the full software?
Old December 3rd, 2006, 07:56 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Its in beta at the moment but their only other product is $14 . It seems a very useful piece of software. Like a DV Tools without the monitor etc. I have been looking at it as it will record more than one DV stream at a time too or sync more than one PC.

Ron
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 04:55 AM   #9
New Boot

I tried the Inosoft DV processor with my HD XDCAM (as I don't have a Z1U in front of me) and it worked wonderfully. It's really simple, and I was able to get TC burn no problem. It output an AVI file which I can also import into all kinds of programs to be able to trim it down and such.

They do have another program, which I downloaded but haven't tried yet. There are instructions on the site for how to get TC burn, but it seems far more complicated than with the DV Processor.

I haven't heard back from the guys that have Z1U's yet, but if it works with my camera then I am certain it will work with the Z1U.

Thank you all for the help.

-RR
Rachael Rowan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1