Z1 low light/night shot examples? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 8th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Z1 low light/night shot examples?

I am on the fence right now about the Z1 and Canon's A1. One big deciding factor will be the low-light capabilities. Does anyone here have any examples of footage shot on the Z1?

I found two examples over in the A1 forums that look very nice, but I want to see what the brand leader in low-light performance has to show.
Colin Ard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #2
New Boot

got my Z1E 1 1/2 weeks ago. So I couldnt capture very much footage, but I´ll try to upload some night/low light footage tomorrow. I´m pretty satisfied with the results i achieved yet, but I dont have a possibillity to do a side by side comparison with the A1
Benni Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 08:00 PM   #3
New Boot

Here's some stuff I shot with my Fx1, so it'd be pretty close to the results you might get.

www.hornermusic.com/alex/parkingramp.mov

The only lighting I was using were car lights.
Alex Horner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 11:21 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Alex.

I am wondering if the black stretch function on the Z1 would have a noticeable effect.
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:08 AM   #5
New Boot

I had my gain all the way up , and for what I had for lighting, it turned out pretty good.
Alex Horner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #6
Major Player

Colin, black stretch does make a noticable difference. I always leave it on. I'll post a frame if I get the chance tomorrow.
Old December 11th, 2006, 03:25 AM   #7
Inner Circle

If you go to Youtube and search for "agus35monk" or use keywords "agus35" or "Kill Devil Hills" you will find two live music videos shot at the Fly By Night Music club in Fremantle.

The band prefers to use low light for ambience so it is was not too camera-friendly.

Both Kill Devil Hills clips, "Boneyard Rider" and "Nasty Business" were shot direct-to-camera on Z1P/FX1 and the roving camera was a PD150 with AGUS35 on front. The PD150 was chosen for its low light performance to compensate for the 2-stop loss in the adaptor.

The Z1P and FX1 were both set to 0db gain to minimise gain noise but resolution still took a hit. The lighting with reds and blues did not help.The cameras did hang on to the colours however under these conditions. I allowed the PD150 6db of gain.

Another clip you will find there is "the b-movie heroes". Don't confuse this with another unrelated band also named B'Movie heroes. This clip was shot with a mix of direct-to-camera Z1P, direct-to-camera XL1 and XL2 with Letus35 on front.

YouTube resolution doesn't do any favours.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 10:08 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I just finished a nighttime shoot in Buffalo, NY last week during a snowstorm. This is a task I normally reserve for my VX2100, but since I had some extra time to work with, I decided to put the FX1 up to the task. This was the first time I put the FX1 into 'nighttime' revenue service and it did just fine. I didn't have to use gain or any post adjustments. I may start using the FX1 for more nighttime projects, reserving the VX for the worst lighting situations. I'll try to scrape up a couple of grabs to post here.
Dan Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #9
Major Player

This was shot with available light (i.e. two fire poi!) by two Z1s (in front) and an A1 (behind) the guy:

http://www.headspin.plus.com/hosting...ter/index.html

Also: compressed for web (H.264) so not truly representative of image quality!!

I wouldn't call the Z1 the brand leader - that was the PD-170 in this class of camera, but it was 4:3 and SD... :-(
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #10
Regular Crew

OK, so I finally made the decision for the Z1U (instead of the XHA1). I also have an XL2, so after the holidays when I have some time, I will post some comparative footage in various lighting setups to help out anyone else out there.
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #11
Inner Circle

So Colin - first thing to do is menu-dig and get that black stretch turned on. You can toggle it on/off and really see what it's doing even in the low-res v'finder.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Impressive clip!

[QUOTE=Martin Mayer]This was shot with available light (i.e. two fire poi!) by two Z1s (in front) and an A1 (behind) the guy:

http://www.headspin.plus.com/hosting...ter/index.html

Well done,Martin !
I take it the A1 was a lock-down camera with operators on the other 2 Z1 cameras? I would think the A1 footage would be very noisy against the Z1's, being a single chip camera. Footage seemed to cut right in.

Bravo.
Chris Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:53 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick
So Colin - first thing to do is menu-dig and get that black stretch turned on. You can toggle it on/off and really see what it's doing even in the low-res v'finder.

tom.
:) That was the second thing that I dug to find (first was gain presets).
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:25 AM   #14
Regular Crew

both HDV cameras are much less light sensitive then the PD-170...

I think both are rated at 125 ASA!

but I had a lot of luck with adding Gain in the sony camera and being very exceptable even at +18db!.... because of the 1080i and the camera starting out at a very low noise level...

on the feature that i did with the FX1 we often shot down town with available light... (http://www.thegovernormovie.com/)

martin love the little fire starter video...wish I shot that with HVX slow mo...

VP

www.vincentpascoe.com

www.myspace.com/vincentpascoe
Vincent Pascoe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1