DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Advice on B Camera to shoot w/ Z1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/81519-advice-b-camera-shoot-w-z1.html)

Brian Scott Fitzgerald December 11th, 2006 12:21 PM

Advice on B Camera to shoot w/ Z1

I have a shoot in Feb 2007 and I will be shooting in HDV with the Sony Z1.

I want to have another camera for behind the scenes and maybe some B roll.

Small form factor and cost are an issue, but I am more curious how these cameras would look with edited footage. Prefer to have similar quality, small form factor and <$2k.

Post will be from HDV tape to FCP.

I am thinking about the new Sony HC3, but it only has 1 - 1/3" CMOS.

What about a FX1, A1U or Canon's HV10?

Thanks, Brian

Martin Mayer December 11th, 2006 12:26 PM

Sony A1 should fit the bill, in decent light, but NOT IN LOW LIGHT!!!

It is a stop and a half slower than the Z1, and degrades horribly in low light compared to the Z1.

Mike Moncrief December 11th, 2006 12:27 PM

Hello,

The FX1 would certainly match up with it.. The guts and glass are identical.. Now audio may be a problem, as the FX1 does not use pro xlr inputs, but with an adapter like a Beachtek.. it should be fine..The Z1 just has more shooting modes and bells and whistles.

Mike Moncrief

Marshall Levy December 11th, 2006 01:07 PM

Agreed with other postings.

I have two A1U's that I use for certain shots only, but never in low-light as it is extremely grainy and can barely hold focus.

To match a Z1U, the obvious answer would be to use another Z1U. Otherwise, I'd go with a FX1, but that'd be about it. You will see a huge difference between the Z1U and anything else, except the FX1.

I use multiple Z1U's as I never have to worry about extensive correction or otherwise.

Gary Mckinstry December 11th, 2006 04:27 PM

Hi

Agreed, I use a Z1 with an FX1 for second camera. Using the FX1 will save you some headaches and time in post.

Gary

Gints Klimanis December 12th, 2006 06:16 AM

I opted for an FX1 as a backup for the Z1. All other Sony offerings have different sensor technologies, so if you want to interchange footage, the Z1/FX1 is as close as you'll get. You asked for a smaller, mobile? camera, so the XLR inputs won't be an issue if your microphone is on-camera as the connection wire will be short.

A cool bonus is that you can buy an extended warranty from the Sony store even when you've purchased the FX1 from another source. I bought the extended warranty, which covers accidental damage and product replacement. It's only a little more than than the Mack warranty and is transferrable to another owner. Just imagine how much easier it will be to sell your FX1 with that warranty. Also, if you break the FX1 after a couple of years, you'll get the latest camera in that price range as a replacement (or at least so Sony promises).

I tried to get a Sony store warranty for the Z1. The staff tried for a few days to get me the warranty, but nothing came through. At least I tried.

Marshall Levy December 12th, 2006 08:16 AM

I tried to get a Sony store warranty for the Z1. The staff tried for a few days to get me the warranty, but nothing came through. At least I tried.[/QUOTE]
>>>>>>>doesn't surprise me with that because the Z1U is considered a professional camera whereas the FX1 is in the prosumer line, hence the reason you can buy it from Sony stores :)

Chris Li December 12th, 2006 09:37 AM

A1 is classified as a pro camera by sony as well(audio xlr's ), but I'm a little hesitant to use as a Z1 B camera outdoors until I shoot some tests.