Sony FX1 or Sony FX7? Best image quality? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 4th, 2007, 10:02 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Actually personally i feel the test are not very fair because the settings are different. I thought a more accurate test would be using same settings. Then we can gauge the brightness and quality when both cameras are shot at same shutter speed, sane F-stop and at the same gain level.

[QUOTE=Stu Holmes]

http://www.fxsupport.de/12.html

QUOTE]
Yow Siang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:35 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Coontz
I have been shooting with a sony FX7 & FX1 for over 2 years.
Sony FX7 has shipped two years ago? Are you sure? I thought it was news, some mounths ago. Can you give me some info please?
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I think what Jim meant was he has been uses the FX7 and FX1 but for Fx1 he has used it two years already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni
Sony FX7 has shipped two years ago? Are you sure? I thought it was news, some mounths ago. Can you give me some info please?
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #19
Tourist

I've been using FX7 for last ~2 months (about 40-50 hours) and fx1 since it's birth

I have these two as two offset angle cams' and i've been happy with both of them honestly.
However the snapshots in aforementioned .de site are not truely representative of what you'd expect. I think it's fx7- biased. fx1 does better in almost all mid-to-low lightening. fx7 has slightly noticeable resolution edge in full light. but this is not a substantial advantage.

My original plan was to phase out fx1's with fx7's over a period of time. But it's now changed. we'll be keeping fx1s and not procure any more fx7s only because there is not a substantial advantage and added cost would not justify.
we do both day and night shooting.

SC
Sam Choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #20
Trustee

But what about the FX1 vs the V1? Has anyone done comparative tests?

Is the V1 better than the FX7?

It's a fact that low budget filmmakers as we all here are (I think), we should be looking for cameras that perform well in moderate to low light levels.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 09:40 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Fx-7

Anybody HAPPY with FX-7,
I TEST THE CAM IN THE SONY STORE UNDER LOW LIGHT CONDITION WITH A 10W SONY LIGHT , 18 DB IT LOOKED JUST FINE NOT TO MUCH NOISE,
( I HAVE WITH PD-170)
DID ANYBODY SHOOT A WEDDING OR ON EVENT UNDER LOW LIGHT CIONDITION?
Ruben Senderey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #22

Hi Ruben,
Welcome to the community; could you please turn off your caps? It's generally considered that you're yelling at folks when all letters are capitalized.

Carlos, there is a *tremendous* amount of information and opinions on the V1 vs the Z1/FX7 vs the FX1 in low light. At the top of this page is the "Search" function, and using it will turn up a couple hundred posts.

Due to CMOS vs CCD, the FX7 is less sensitive than is the FX1 in low light.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
Carlos, there is a *tremendous* amount of information and opinions on the V1 vs the Z1/FX7 vs the FX1 in low light. At the top of this page is the "Search" function, and using it will turn up a couple hundred posts.

Due to CMOS vs CCD, the FX7 is less sensitive than is the FX1 in low light.
Douglas,

Of course I can do that. Just thought there might be someone here, like you :), who may have compared both CMOS cameras to each other.

What I mean is that perhaps it's not too fair to compare the FX1 to the FX7 but to the V1 instead. Am I wrong?
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Hi Ruben,
It would be really interesting to see some samples of the FX7 in 18db in lowlight condition. Is it possible to post a very short clip?

thanks
ys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben Senderey
Anybody HAPPY with FX-7,
I TEST THE CAM IN THE SONY STORE UNDER LOW LIGHT CONDITION WITH A 10W SONY LIGHT , 18 DB IT LOOKED JUST FINE NOT TO MUCH NOISE,
( I HAVE WITH PD-170)
DID ANYBODY SHOOT A WEDDING OR ON EVENT UNDER LOW LIGHT CIONDITION?
Old January 7th, 2007, 03:43 AM   #25
Major Player

Does anyone recommend me a good Wide Angle Lens for FX7?

Hi, if you use Sony FX7 with a Wide Angle Lens, can you tell me how much the image quality deteriorates? Is it better to purchase Sony or Century Optics?
In your opinion is it benner 5X or 6X?
thanks
Old January 7th, 2007, 10:08 AM   #26
Regular Crew

fx7

Hi, i don't have the cam i was just testing , at the Sony Store
Ruben Senderey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben Senderey
Hi, i don't have the cam i was just testing , at the Sony Store
I have just known if you use Sony FX7 with Wide Angle, it deforms the images a little bit. Is it tre?
Old January 7th, 2007, 11:26 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Moroni
I have just known if you use Sony FX7 with Wide Angle, it deforms the images a little bit. Is it tre?
If you use any wide angle lens on a fixed lens camera also set to wide, it will deform the image a "little bit." Cheap lenses will distort moreso, but the entire purpose of a wide angle in most situations is to see more than the human eye might normally see, hence the concept of "deformed."
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #29
Tourist

Store camera and viewed on LCD on cams.. VERY VERY misleading

My HC1 looks great in low ..even almost dark room when viewed on it's miserably small (and low-res) LCD.

fx1 and fx7 have larger, more pix LCDs but far far far from what you want to evaluate your low-light footages with.
You have to view them on a decent HDTV to see what the difference is all about.

Good luck,

Sam
Sam Choi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
If you use any wide angle lens on a fixed lens camera also set to wide, it will deform the image a "little bit." Cheap lenses will distort moreso, but the entire purpose of a wide angle in most situations is to see more than the human eye might normally see, hence the concept of "deformed."
No, you have not understood my bad english. I have jut read on Internet by a FX7 owner that without any additional wide angle lens on a fixed lens camera, when he shots in wide angle he sees deformed images. I'd like to know more about this problem. Thanks
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1