Sony FX1 and videoprojector connectivity at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 21st, 2006, 05:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony FX1 and videoprojector connectivity

Hi,
I know a good videoprojector has this connectios: DVI, Component, VGA and SVHS.
I'd like to purchase Sony FX1 and I'd like to know how can I connect my camera with my videoprojector. If I have to use Component or SVHS connection, it would be a great frustration. I think I will see a bad image.
Can you give me some info, please?
thanks
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:15 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Adriano and welcome to DVinfo! The component video connection should look very good. It's analog, but it's high definition. Unless your projector has a native resolution of 1920x1080 then it will downscale anything which the Z1 sends it. Is it a native 16:9 projector? If not then the projector is going to letterbox the image as well. So more likely than not, the Z1 is going to be sending it a higher resolution image than the projector can actually deliver anyway.

A few years ago I used some large 10,000 lumen Barco projectors on a 45 foot wide screen for a production of Il Trovatore. We connected the video decks to the projectors with component video and it looked great.

But if you really want a digital connection, then you could capture the video on a computer which is connected to the projector with a DVI cable, and play the video that way. I have used a system which does this very well for our operas as well - the Catalyst Media Server from High End Systems. But of course now you're getting into a lot of $$$ :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:38 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi dear Boyd, I have a Benq PE7800.
Can you tell me if it is a native resolution of 1920x1080?
Can you help me so that I can understand fine?
Thanks a lot.
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:46 PM   #4
Major Player

I have just noticed Benq PE7800 has a native resolution of 1024 x 576 and video format HDTV
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:50 PM   #5
Major Player

Benq PE7800 specifications:

Compatibility: HDTV: 1080i, 720p, 576p
576i
EDTV/480p: Yes
SDTV/480i: Yes
Component Video: Yes
Video: Yes
Digital Input: DVI-I (HDCP)
Personal Computers: Yes
Display: Type: 0.6" DLP (1)
Color Wheel Segs: 6
Color Wheel Speed: 5x
Native: 1024x576 Pixels
Maximum: 1280x1024 Pixels
Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (WSVGA)
Old December 21st, 2006, 06:38 PM   #6
Wrangler

That is a PAL standard definition native widescreen projector. So if you plug your FX1 into the component inputs the projector will detect the 1920x1080 resolution and reduce the image size to fit 1024x576.

So I think you will get a nice image from the FX1, although the projector won't be able to show the full amount of detail captured by the camera.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 01:56 AM   #7
Major Player

I'm sorry but I like to know well. Therefore I will see an enough bad image, about an half of pixels. Do I make a mistake?
thanks
Old December 22nd, 2006, 08:13 AM   #8
Wrangler

Adriano, the specs on that projector indicate that it can accept the 1080i signal which the FX1 provides via component video. So you will see the entire image and it will fill the screen - it should look fine. However, the projector doesn't have as many pixels as the camera. So the internal electronics in the projector will scale the image smaller. It will be as though you took an image into Photoshop and reduced the size by 50%. It will look like the original, but it won't have as many dots in it and therefore you won't see as much fine detail.

That is a standard definition projector and you want to use it with a high definition camera. On your camera's menu you could choose IN/OUT REC > COMPONENT. If you pick 1080i then the camera will be sending high definition video to the projector. If you choose 576i it will be sending standard definition video to the projector. Using the projector you describe, both of these should look about the same.

But I can't tell you how good this will look because I don't have a projector like that! The best thing for you to do is to try hooking up your camera to the projector and see if you like it.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 09:13 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Adriano, the specs on that projector indicate that it can accept the 1080i signal which the FX1 provides via component video. So you will see the entire image and it will fill the screen - it should look fine. However, the projector doesn't have as many pixels as the camera. So the internal electronics in the projector will scale the image smaller. It will be as though you took an image into Photoshop and reduced the size by 50%. It will look like the original, but it won't have as many dots in it and therefore you won't see as much fine detail.
Dear Boyd, thanks a lot for your interesting reply. If my projector will scale the image smaller, I think I have to put the projector farther from the cloth screen. Do I make a mistake? This would be a trouble for me.
thanks
Old December 22nd, 2006, 10:00 AM   #10
Wrangler

I'm sorry Adriano, I'm just not reaching you somehow. Perhaps you have a friend who is more fluent in English who could help you understand my responses?

The image will fill the screen. You don't need to put the projector any farther away. It just won't have as many dots in it as a high definition image. You really should try hooking up your camera to the projector (ANY projector) and you will SEE what happens YOURSELF!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1