HDR-FX1 mic support like Z1 for 3$ at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 24th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDR-FX1 mic support like Z1 for 3$

I bought the HDR-FX1 a short while ago, a big problem with this camera is the mic support vs the light support (not a problem with the Z1 with the side mount) i have a audio-tech ATR-55. here's how i made my side support. Warning!! you have to be good with your hands and tools!!

The FX1 and Z1 have the same frame,

1-Unscrew the grey plastic cap where the mic should go (you will notice 2 existing holes)

2-Bring your camera to your local electronics store and find two screws with the right threads, buy different lenghts (not very expensive)

3-Here's the tricky part, the mic support has nothing to do with electronics, it's actually a plumbing support! that you will find in your local hardware store, for supporting 3/4" diam. tubing. (plastic tubing that is! very important because the outside diam is 7/8")they come with a nail already inserted in them, just pull it out, try them on your mic first, you will need two but buy a bag for a few bucks.

4-Drill holes in the grey cap you unscrewed in step one, aligned with the holes in the camera's frame. drill barely smaller holes than the screws you bought so everything is tight.

5-Drill the same holes in each of the supports, the support in the back will have the hole lower than the support in the front. because the frame is at an angle. Also you will have to drill a bigger hole just 1/8" deep to recesse the screw heads so the mic dosen't touch them (hard to explain!!).

6-assemble and screw everything and voila! it took me a full day to figure it out and to build it so be patient!

I've taken many pictures of everything but i think i can't post them with this thread, too bad it would have been so much clearer, i know kits exist out there to do the same kind of support, but mine cost around 3$ so it's your choice!
Donald Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 01:17 PM   #2
New Boot

Any chance you could e-mail me the pictures you have taken, this sounds like the solution I have been looking for for my FX1.

Thanks
Simon Battell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Me too! I would love to see the step by step pictures.
William N Zarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 03:50 PM   #4
Inner Circle

email me the pictures. I'll host them on my server and post the links in this thread.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 03:57 PM   #5
New Boot

He could just post them on photobucket.com or picturetrail.com for free. I would like to see them also. I'm still trying to get over the fact that Sony wants $77 for a little shoe adapter.
Norman Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 07:34 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Ok Guys i've posted my pictures on this website www.piczo.com/evyproductions/ just click on the camera and voila!

But the pictures from my cheap digital camera aren't very good... sorry!

If you have any questions just let me know! happy new year!
Old January 2nd, 2007, 01:46 PM   #7
Major Player

That has got to be the FX1 mod of the year! For 3 bux that kick's a$$!
Old January 2nd, 2007, 02:32 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey Micheal, it took me a while to figure it out and to have the guts to drill holes in the grey plastik cap, it also took me a couple of try to get it right (when you buy the clips, they come in a bag with at least a dozen of them), but take the time to think about it before doing this, mostly if you wanna do it the right way, and if you're not used to working with your hands or tools you might wanna buy Sony's version for 80$. If you notice on the pictures the clips are perfect for this because they don't block the mic's button and the mic realy clips well into them (you won't lose the mic if you run or jump with the cam...) I don't have any budget for my movies so i constently think about ways to save money and still have that professional look, by the way i just tought and built a great lighting kit with neon fixtures that i'm gonna post a thread, add pictures and explain how i built it for other videographers out there. I'm not as good as alot of you guy out there (i'm just a beginer) and i learned alot of things from this website already, so if i could give back a little...

Happy new year!
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #9
Inner Circle

80$ for a pice of brass and 4 screws, isn't it not a bit expensive ?
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroud Francois
80$ for a pice of brass and 4 screws, isn't it not a bit expensive ?
Not according to Sony !
The brass spacer is not available without buying the entire top assembly of the camera and the mic mount alone is over $70 from Sony.
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #11
Major Player

The brass spacer is custom made. I researched this before moding my FX-1
you will also need a rubber spacer about $12.99 from Sony depending on the mic that you are using.

Type this in the search on eBay to see pictures HVR-Z1U MIC HOLDER FOR THE HDR-FX1
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes
The brass spacer is custom made. I researched this before moding my FX-1
you will also need a rubber spacer about $12.99 from Sony depending on the mic that you are using.

Type this in the search on eBay to see pictures HVR-Z1U MIC HOLDER FOR THE HDR-FX1
When I ordered the clamp replacement it came with the rubber spacers, but I guess if you would like the larger spacers then you will have to pay.

Is that your kit on ebay Brian ? There was a guy not too long ago selling a similar kit for a lot more.

jeff
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1