xlr shotgun & wirless mic for weddings on FX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 1st, 2007, 05:28 PM   #1
New Boot

xlr shotgun & wirless mic for weddings on FX1

Good day all... (& happy new year)

I have been shooting vid of weddigns etc but want to step it up & I just got my FX1.
I would appreciate some guidance on audio for my set up...

I would like to put a shot gun mic on the cam body and have a wireless mic also.
The wireless would be at the alter, groom or minister to get audio there & sent to the receiver on the fx1 connected to the beachtec unit. Also the shotgun would be connected the the beachtec too.
For shot gun I assume i would look for a Azden with xlr??? and for wireless i was thinking a single sennheiser unit??
Is this the correct route?

any assistance would be appreciated.

thx
Allan
Allan McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2007, 11:05 PM   #2
Major Player

First off, you may want to ask DSE for suggestions - he really knows his audio stuff.

But, for what I use, (with Z1U's/V1U's) - Sennheiser G2 mics for lav purposes on one channel and Sennheiser ME62K6/66's on the other. Shotguns are nice for certain purposes, but you should consider understanding the purposes of microphones and which ones serve what purposes.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 08:36 PM   #3
Inner Circle

My Z1U came in a B&H kit with this Sony Wireless and I love it: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Old January 5th, 2007, 01:30 AM   #4
Trustee

I use an Audio Technika 897 shot gun on one cahannel, and a sennheiser G2 lav on the other, mainly on my Canon H1. When I want the same set on my FX1, I use a plate underneath to mount the G2 receiver, and a beechtek box for XLr inputs. It works great.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Beachtek Plate?

Bruce,

Is that a custom plate you use beneath the FX-1? I'd appreciate knowing where you purchased it...

Thanks!

John Reilly
John Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2007, 06:42 AM   #6
Trustee

John,
I got the plate from a guy who sold me a Firestore FS4 hard drive. It would be easy to make. Its a piece of metal 3" wide by about 14" long. at one end, drill the holes so that the plate fit between the canera(or beechtek box) and the tripod plate. At 8 1/2 " it is bent at 90 degrees 9right angle, so it's rell an "L" shaped piece,that is 8 1/2" long, then 6" high.The verticle part of the plate extends afew inches past the viewfinder end of the FX1. I have velcro on both sides of the vertical part o the "l", and underneath the long section.
I velcro' and bubgy'd my gold mount from my Canon, with anton bauer battery underneat, and my Sennhesiser wireless receiver on the outside of the verical part of the plate.The only problem whn it's on is that you can't put your eye flush against the viewfinder unless you angle it up. But there's no problem seeing the lcd, and when you want to tke the plate off, it's pretty quick.
If you need more info on how o make it, email me oof line, and you can giveme a call.
Bruce S. yarock
www.yarock.com
yarock at a o l dot com
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #7
New Boot

Thanks everyone... really good info.
I was think this route & good to get info from users.
Which Beachtec do you use or recomend, i know they make one for th FX1 but some people use a different model (not sure why).

So the set up is shotgun AND lav receivcer going into the Beachetec via xlr and into the mic port on the cam... correct??

Many thanks for your advice!!!!
it IS appreciated.
Al
Allan McIntyre is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1