Which should I buy? A HDR-FX1 or a Panasonic DVX100B? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 02:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Which should I buy? A HDR-FX1 or a Panasonic DVX100B?

I just finished a project and am I'll have close to $3000 in one of my accounts. I wanna upgrade. Should I go for the 100B or the FX1? Now I don't have HD editing software or a HD monitor. Should that really matter? And if so how much am I looking to invest after I spend the cash on the FX1 to get all the neccesary programs/equipment? I'm trying to go HD as I already use standard def cams. Is it worth the investment? Also how does the HD 60i/p look converted to HD 24p using DVFilmmaker or any other conversion software? The fact that the FX1 doesn't offer true 24p bothers me but I'm finding solice that DVFilmmaker (which I own already) says it converts the footage to 24p.
James A. Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 06:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

James,

I'd say that it all boils down to how much you want 24p and XLR inputs. If you must have a true 24p that you can edit easily straight from the camera into your NLE, then get the Panny.

If you want 24fps from the Sony then you have have extra time and patience to convert it properly using software like DVFilmmaker. I haven't used 60i HDV in DVFilmmaker yet, but I have converted 60i DV to 24p, and it just doesn't look the same as true 24p. The motion is choppy.

I narrowed it down to both of those cameras too before I bought my FX1, but HD was more important to me, as well has having a true 16:9 image (yes, I know its 1440 x 1080 but they're non-square pixels).

Last edited by John M. Graham; January 3rd, 2007 at 07:33 PM.
John M. Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #3
Major Player

Wait a bit longer, save a bit more money and get a canon XH A1 or a sony V1U, test them both out and see which you like, those are your best bets.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 04:45 AM   #4
Major Player

I agree with Evan.

The newer tech that he cites is a smarter long/short term choice. The A1 is probably your best bet for value - it's HD, is cleaner/better res than the FX1 and has XLR.

If is *only* between the FX1 and Panasonic, I'd choose HD (FX1) and shoot with enough light to keep the noise down.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1