35mm lens adaptor for Z1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 7th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #1
Major Player

35mm lens adaptor for Z1

Hi all,

I'm seriously considering taking this step - the footage I've seen is just too convincing.

But... I don't know what I need as a minimum - or as a recommended.

I have no preference for type/model/brand as yet so am open to suggestion - but I want to know a few things.

My sister has a Nikon D80 Digital SLR with a very nice DX 18-135mm zoom lens. I know the M2 adaptor from Redrock allows for use with SLR lenses - but I don't know much about still lenses. Is that lens appropriate? And will any of the adaptors allow that possibility?

So can someone list exactly what's NEEDED as well as what is highly recommended for the upgrade? I have a Sony Z1P (and will soon have a V1 as well so I'd love it to fit both).

Thanks,
-- John.
John Hewat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 01:58 AM   #2
Inner Circle

digital SLR lenses probably don't work, since they are smaller than regular 35mm lenses.
usually good old lenses are better, since film required big aperture, you can find easily lenses with 1.2 to 1.8 and they are cheap and have manual control
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroud Francois
...you can find easily lenses with 1.2 to 1.8 and they are cheap and have manual control
Cheap? A couple hundred dollars? I don't know what kind of lenses to look for or how to identify what is what. Could you point me in the right direction?
Old January 8th, 2007, 12:23 PM   #4
Major Player

.... found that the best deal on a 50 f1.4 is the older canon fd lens. Old nikons still fit the new cameras, so they've retained their value better.

the 50 1.2's are soft wide open.... so the 1.4's are the sweet spot.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Interesting thread.. could anyone point me in the right direction.. how would i go about attaching a 35mm lens to my sony fx1?

and overall what sort of cost would i be looking at (lens included). I don't mind paying a pretty pennie for a film look

hope someone can help

Stick

i am a bit of a newbie when it comes to lenses and what not but is this what you are talking about christopher?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-1-4-50-L...QQcmdZViewItem
Stick Tully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #6
Major Player

yep.... that's a good one...

for more info on DOF adaptors...
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=70

they range from DIY to german $8k...
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #7
Regular Crew

thankyou very much, excellent help

http://www.sgpro.co.uk/pages/order/orderframeset.html

looks great but a lot of money, hopefully can get some help producing something like that on my own

thanks again

Stick
Stick Tully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #8
Inner Circle

if you expect decent pictures from an FX1 or Z1 with a DOF+35mm lens, be ready to spend between 600-1000$ anyway.
commercial product are not more expensive, they just let you shoot faster, than experimenting on your own for month.
Old January 11th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroud Francois
if you expect decent pictures from an FX1 or Z1 with a DOF+35mm lens, be ready to spend between 600-1000$ anyway.
On the adaptor, right?

I'd still like someone to point me in the direction of a selection of lenses that are appropriate.

And I'd like to know if all the adaptors can use the same lesnses or are you restricted?
Old January 12th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #10
Inner Circle

yes you are restricted, that is why you should get the adaptor first.
you can choose the adaptor for its price, but you can choose knowing that some more expensive adapter can accept cheaper lense.
Some adapters offer different mount (but you need to choose at the order), other can swap a different mount (like the letus nikon/canon).
anyway good lenses are expensive except for the common ones (50mm).
good zoom lenses are usually very expensive (500$ min)
Old January 12th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #11
Inner Circle

yes you are restricted, that is why you should get the adaptor first.
you can choose the adaptor for its price, but you can choose knowing that some more expensive adapter can accept cheaper lense.
Some adapters offer different mount (but you need to choose at the order), other can swap a different mount (like the letus nikon/canon).
anyway good lenses are expensive except for the common ones (50mm).
good zoom lenses are usually very expensive (500$ min)
Old January 27th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #12
Major Player

I have a z1 and the brevis. And it is in my opinion the best adapter available by far.

www.cinevate.com

John, I have a D80 and that exact lens. It will NOT work (nor will any "DX" lens) for 2 reasons.

1. Lenses made specifically for digital cameras (DX series) project a smaller image because digital cameras use CCD's or CMOS chips which are quite a bit smaller than 35mm film. Think of the film and CCD as one and the same. Going the Nikon route is also nice because there are lots of lenses available that will work.

2. Because the DX series lenses are made for digital cameras, they don't have an aperture ring. Which means that the aperture (f stop) is controlled through the camera. If you want to use a lens on a video camera ala. 35mm adapter, you NEED that ring.

Here is a good place to start.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...rch&Q=&ci=8456

Check the forums at www.cinevate.com for some sample footage.

The only downside I've had with it was how long it took to receive mine. Dennis (the owner of cinevate) is a great guy though and says that the order to ship time is a lot less now. Don't hold me to that though.

I hope that helps a little guys.
Gene Crucean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #13
Major Player

btw, this should probably be the first lens you pick up. http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...productNr=1902

And a list of nikons... http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5
Gene Crucean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #14
Major Player

Thanks a lot Gene,

I'm seriously considering it. Can you tell me if the Brevis just mounts to my Z1 without having to buy anything else? Any step-down rings or anything?

I may also end up mounting in on my V1, which has a 62mm diameter. Are adaptor rings available for that mount as well?

And I'm struggling to identify which lenses are appropriate. In that list of Nikons, are ALL the lesnes appropriate, or only some, and how do I identify the ones that are?

The other thing I can't figure out is what is actually required. The matte box, the rails, the follow focus, the support bars, etc... I'd like to just buy the package but don't know what I'm getting or what it does. I just want the results...
Old January 27th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #15
Inner Circle

I have teh FX1, and I obtained the Brevis achromat to use with my self built adapter. That achromat threads to the front of the Z1, and then the Brevis, threads to that. Obviously, with the V1, you will have to get an step up adapter. I don't think anyone is making a 62mm achromat yet, but I may be wrong.

The achromat is what gives you the close focus capability to focus on the ground glass image that the adapter produces. I haven't checked specs on V1 yet to see if there is a macro focus mode on it, so you can avoid the need for the achromat.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1