Shotgun or wireless mic? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 11th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #1
Major Player

Shotgun or wireless mic?

Hello everyone! I'll be videotaping a guest speaker and a group choir on our church this coming weekend, and i'll be using my newly bought HDR FX1 on SD mode. (HD, hmm...maybe later) For audio I'll be using a Rode Video mic and a Senheisser wireless lapel mic on Beachtek XLR input, my distance to the speaker would be around 30 feet facing him.

My first time to use a wireless mic and here's my question...
Would the Rode shotgun mic do the job alone with acceptable audio performance? or do I still need the wireless mic? I know for the choir definitely the shotgun mic. It would be a whole day event and toggling b/w these two mics into the mic connector of the FX1 is a hazzle.

I need your 2 cents advice. Thank you!
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #2
Major Player

The shotgun mic won't cut it if you are 30' away from the speaker. You should definitely use the wireless lapel mic for professional results.

I would try to find a different shotgun mic with an XLR connector, so you can use the shotgun and lapel mic simultaneously through the Beachtek (provided it has 2 inputs). Then send the lapel mic to channel one, and the shotgun to channel two.
John Dewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I believe you can never have too much audio. The advice about using both is a good one. I would consider hooking the shotgun on a long cord and running it closer to the speaker.

Also, even if you used some external devices for ambient audio, that would be worth your time. If you can plug into the board etc that might help as well.

Remember that what you get in terms of on scene audio is golden. So try and capture as much as possible. I've even found a benefit in the audio on onboard mics.

Again, I believe you can never have too much audio sources.
Old January 11th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I believe you can purchase a mini-RCA to XLR adapter. I recall seeing one the other day on the Rode website, as I contemplated the same scenario (running a VideoMic into an XLR adapter). I'm sure there are other suppliers (maybe FedEx from the west coast?).

-Terence
Terence Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #5
Inner Circle

If the choir and church acoustics warrant it, try and get a stereo mic on the choir. If not for this job, experiment slinging one from a spot above and in front of the group and running the cable to your cam.

There might be more in this later for DVDs for sale for the church.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:30 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Shotgun or wireless mic?

For an adapter cable, take a look at Markertek's part #XLF-H8-10. It has an XLR at one end and a 3.5mm plug at the other with a converter circuit in-between. I use one to connect my old Sony D-7 DAT recorder to a Sound Devices preamp and in the past used it to connect XLR mics to a VX-1000. No phantom power, of course. Always worked fine for me.

Best wishes,
Peter R.
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:32 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence Murphy
I believe you can purchase a mini-RCA to XLR adapter. I recall seeing one the other day on the Rode website, as I contemplated the same scenario (running a VideoMic into an XLR adapter). I'm sure there are other suppliers (maybe FedEx from the west coast?).

-Terence
B&H sells these for 16.99 and with regular mail it takes about 3 days. You have the option to select faster shipping if you so desire.Don't bother with eBay, they're very expensive there.
Norman Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Ages ago, when I first tried a simple XLR to 3.5mm cable it didn't work correctly. There was a distinct hum added to the sound. Apparently the impedances didn't match. Has anyone else had that experience, too? The Markertek cable costs $50 but says it has "on-board electronics for Low Impedance to High Impedance matching." It solved the hum problem for me.

Best wishes,
Peter
Old January 12th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks guys for all your advice, the mini plug XLR adapter is a good option,
anyone knows where I could buy the Roden VXLR or any type of brand here in LA California? I tried EVS and SamAsh but they don't have it.
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Samy's Camera carries the Rode NTG-1 & NTG-2. You might give Ametron in Hollywood (323-464-1144) or Location Sound (818-980-9891) a call, too.

Best wishes,
Peter
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Rhalter
Ages ago, when I first tried a simple XLR to 3.5mm cable it didn't work correctly. There was a distinct hum added to the sound. Apparently the impedances didn't match. Has anyone else had that experience, too? The Markertek cable costs $50 but says it has "on-board electronics for Low Impedance to High Impedance matching." It solved the hum problem for me.

Best wishes,
Peter
Just to clarify so future viewers of this thread don't get confused, the Rode VXLR adapter is to hook a 3.5mm mic cable to an XLR input. The Markertek cable Peter mentioned is to connect an XLR cable to a 3.5mm input (something I didn't think you could do without an XLR breakout adapter). The picture of the Markertek cable looks like the cable run might be unbalanced (that is, it looks like the business end is at the XLR plug instead of at the mini plug), so I'm surprised it doesn't have some inherent hum. But if it works for Peter, then it might be a cheaper option than a full XLR adapter. Of course, there are other advantages to using the XLR adapter.

-Terence
Terence Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2007, 10:27 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black
If the choir and church acoustics warrant it, try and get a stereo mic on the choir. If not for this job, experiment slinging one from a spot above and in front of the group and running the cable to your cam.

There might be more in this later for DVDs for sale for the church.

This is a good option too...I think I will go with this since obtaining the Rode VXLR adapter on my location is impossible right now. Very well Allan, thank you!
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1