Playback: blue, fastforward: image, what the *&^%? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:46 PM   #1
Kino-Eye

Playback: blue, fastforward: image, what the *&^%?

A friend shot some HDV video using the Sony HVR-FX1. After recording and rewinding, upon playback the LCD screen of camera displays a blue screen with time code rolling. When you are in play and hold down the fast forward button, the original image appears. He was shooting in HDV mode and using Sony Digital HD tape. We've tried playback on both his Sony HVR-FX1 and my Sony HVR-A1U and we've tried playback setting the camera to AUTO, HDV, and DV mode. The "blue/timecode/image only in FF" only happens in the AUTO or HDV mode. Nothing happens in DV mode. Pretty sure original was actually shot HDV.

Any insights into what is happening would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by David Tamés; January 22nd, 2007 at 10:57 PM.
David Tamés is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #2
Major Player

Something went wrong. When you fast forward it only shows the I frames, and those are working. Everything else is not. Something is wrong with the camera.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #3
Kino-Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Lopponen
Something went wrong. When you fast forward it only shows the I frames, and those are working. Everything else is not. Something is wrong with the camera.
Very strange that only I frames are readable and only in Fast Forward. Hmmm, is there no recourse? Subsequent recordings made with the camera are fine.
Old February 6th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #4
Major Player

I have had this happen several times with different HVRZ1u cameras, also have sent tapes off to restoration companies and been told,"It's gone, nothing we can do". Also no one has been able to explain what went wrong; tape problem, head problem, battery problem, CCD problem. It's a mystery. All I can say is use your head cleaner after burning 8 to 10 tapes everytime.
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1