DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Interval Recording/Time Lapse on Z1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/85953-interval-recording-time-lapse-z1.html)

Sarah Staar February 8th, 2007 06:24 AM

Interval Recording/Time Lapse on Z1

Can the Z1 do Interval Recording or Time laps ???

I have a job coming up and the client wants me to do a 2 day times laps of stands being set up at an exhibition.

I usually hire the Z1 because my client wants the footage to be in 16.9 DV.

Joe Lawry February 9th, 2007 03:28 AM

No it cannot, your best bet would be to look into a sony 330 xdcam - they under crank nicely and you can just shoot dvcam 16:9 that way.

Phil Bloom February 9th, 2007 04:02 AM

Hi Sarah

XD would be fine, but harder to hire. You could use what I have, an HVX200 with 2 p2 cards. Set the interval for say 1 frame every minute and you would get exactly what you want. You can only record 16 minutes on the p2 cards combined but at 1 frame a second you wouldnt get anywhere near that max capability!

What is the the exhibition?

Phil

p.s. If you dont need HD I have heard the pd170 does timelapse but am not sure

Christopher Witz February 9th, 2007 08:08 AM

you could also use a nikon dslr... I believe the d200 has an interval timer...

Phil Bloom February 9th, 2007 08:41 AM

Chris

How would you get it into a NLE?

Phil

Christopher Witz February 9th, 2007 09:30 AM

on a mac...

import the still photos to iphoto in a new folder....

open imovie .... new 1080i project.... and click on "media"... photos.... choose the folder..... select all... turn off "ken burns effect" slide time to the rabbit (.03 mins [ 18fps?]) .... hit apply..... and violla!

export as a quicktime.... import into FCP.... shift time faster if .03 mins is to slow for you.

hey phil.... looks like your buying a new cam every few months.... congrats on all the success!....

Sarah Staar February 10th, 2007 02:52 AM

HVR-V1E has time laps I think ???

i would like to use the DVX200 but can not hire them for reasonable money £280 per day !!! from http://www.shoothd.tv/index.html I normally pay £75 a day for a Z1....

I could use a PD150 with an anamorphic lens. The hire company i use pro motion hire in London has one.

I think Broadcast services Hire has XD Cam so this might be an option.

I think the new sony camera HVR-V1E has time laps. Any one know where i can hire one from.

Phil Bloom February 10th, 2007 08:50 AM

I didn't think the V1 could do timelapse, thought it was an HDV issue...I could be wrong.

Are there any security issues with the camera being set up for 2 days day and night?

The XDCAM HD does shoot very nice timelapse, there are some examples on my website with some HVX stuff too. I think that price for the HVX rental is very high, although I expect they are supplying you with loads of P2 cards as part of the deal as without them you just have a dv camera. Ask them if they can do you a two day price with one card?

Best,

Phil

Tom Hardwick February 10th, 2007 09:07 AM

I'm pretty sure the V1 doesn't have timelapse, or if it does then it's a 'capture 5 frames, wait the 10 seconds, capture another 5 frames' etc. This looks horrible on screen, so you'll need to capture the footage with a program that simply keeps the first frame of every burst.

What about running into a hard drive in real time? The beauty of this is the footage can be speed ramped in post and played with to your heart's content. My footage of boats going through lock gates required vastly different intervalometer frame rates when the boats were being raised and lowered than when the gates were opening and closing.

tom.

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 10th, 2007 11:05 AM

The V1 has an intervalometer/timelapse, but it's not as intelligent as it should/could be. It has variable time interval/capture length settings.

Gene Crucean February 10th, 2007 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom
Chris

How would you get it into a NLE?

Phil

It would be an image sequence. Just import.

Sarah Staar February 10th, 2007 04:26 PM

VMI hire The HVX200 hire for £120 a day with no p2 cards. Can the hvx200 record time laps to tape in DV mode. The production is not HD but is 16/9

I could record to hard disc i would be a bit worried about this, maybe i could do a time laps to tape and record to hard disc in real time...

10 hours to hard disc, one file, have any of you done this before. What capture software is most reliable.

I have Edius 4 could i use this.

Would DV Rack be better.

I don't intend to film at night ..

Phil Bloom February 10th, 2007 04:35 PM

of course the problem with timelapse if you move the camera at night you are going to have a nightmare getting exactly the same spot...

I havent done HVX timelapse on tape before, it might be possible I guess but I would have to check. Can you hire 1 card from those people at all?

I personally wouldn't go down the computer live capture route, more stuff to go wrong...can you charge the clients for the hire of the hvx and one card for two days. You would get great results. Once you have the timelapse on p2 you do an in camera dub to dv tape.

Shame I cant hire you mine!

Phil

Matt Davis February 13th, 2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Witzke
on a mac...

On a Mac, open the QuickTime Player Pro, import image sequence, save as QuickTime movie (I use PhotoJPEG settings). Job done.

My Pentax Optio 750 (before it was stolen last week) did 7 megapixels, but never needed more than 1600x1200. I could do a nice zoom/pan/rotate into the timelapse, but the limitation was that it could only do 99 images (which is 4 seconds in PAL-land).

A more studley DSLR would do 2 to 8 second exposures, perhaps. Lots of motion blur and light streaks, which is what works well.

Wayne Zebzda February 13th, 2007 05:41 PM

still camera timelapse

There is an interesting article posted on Revostock on shooting timelapse with a digial still camera. It includes sample footage...here's the link.
http://www.revostock.com/ViewArticle.html?&ID=45
Hope this helps
aloha,
wz