Z1U wide angle: 16x9Inc or Century Optics? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old June 4th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Carlos - it looks to me as if RedEye have come up with a new design of lens. They say:

''The Red Eye FX uses a high grade glass with low dispersion qualities, reduced barrel distortion, improved resolution, AR coatings and contrast.''

Now this is interesting, as the 58mm 0.7x and 0.5x RedEye's I tested on a VX2000 were very disappointing in the barrel distortion stakes. They were aspherical high pressure injection mouldings, so the move to glass and hopefully a more complex aspherical surface may well have put these lenses in a different league.

But showing pictures taken into the corner of a room like that is the way to disguise barrel distortion, as any straight line passing through the centre of the frame will be undistorted however poor the correction. I'd very much like to see and test the new 0.5x on my Z1, and put it up against the Bolex Aspheron.

tom
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 06:12 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
Now this is interesting, as the 58mm 0.7x and 0.5x RedEye's I tested on a VX2000 were very disappointing in the barrel distortion stakes. They were aspherical high pressure injection mouldings, so the move to glass and hopefully a more complex aspherical surface may well have put these lenses in a different league.

But showing pictures taken into the corner of a room like that is the way to disguise barrel distortion, as any straight line passing through the centre of the frame will be undistorted however poor the correction. I'd very much like to see and test the new 0.5x on my Z1, and put it up against the Bolex Aspheron.
Yes, that comparison with Aspheron lenses might be great. Pity the Bolex (Switar?) are so expensive and difficult to find.

I supposed the RedEyes were glass, not plastic.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 06:27 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Nothing wrong with plastic lenses. Their refractive index will never match glass, but all this means is that generally plastic lenses are thicker and lighter, that's all. Once the hugely expensive injection moulding tool has been beautifully polished, the aspheric elements pop out quite cheaply.

I've met many who refuse to believe that they already shoot through plastic aspherical lenses in the 12 to 15 element line-up inside a modern camcorder's zoom. As far as aspherical surfaces go, glass is exorbitantly expensive. It may well be less prone to scratching than plastic (though the multi-coating won't be) but deep inside a multi-element zoom that's not a problem in the slightest.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Ken Jan of CTL in Silver Spring who does my editing, thinks so yes. They do offer one that has limited zoom capabilities, but is 10% wider and THAT is what I will use for all my wide shots from now on.

Myles
Myles Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles Williams View Post
They do offer one that has limited zoom capabilities, but is 10% wider
Limited zoom capability, after enduring it with my Century 0.6X, is not something I quite like to live with.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #21
Regular Crew

thats why I like the Century i have, ,as it has full capabilities. But sometimes , for example when I shot this small piece for Speedtv.com I needed more.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...bctid909937486

Myles
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #22
Regular Crew

When I shot this I was jammed in the ceiling ( i aM 6.3) and couldnto get back enough to get a wider view of her. I really needed my old HC3 for this one.

Myles
Old June 5th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #23
Major Player

J11 someones knows about it ,... does the century .6x zoom thru thing gives similar effect when panning or tilting etc @ widest end................................................................................................. ..........
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #24
Regular Crew

I have the Century .7x and I love it. It does make the camera nose heavy but its worth the extra weight...
Greg Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:29 AM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Patch View Post
I have the Century .7x and I love it. It does make the camera nose heavy but its worth the extra weight...
Its diameter is also larger than the .6x. It won't fit my matte-box.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1