DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   FX1 audio problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/88690-fx1-audio-problem.html)

Dan Measel March 11th, 2007 12:12 PM

FX1 audio problem

I use Beacktek DXA8 for external mic audio but recently it all of a sudden is only recording the audio on one channel (left). Is there a setting that I have messed up on the FX1 or has my Beachtek gone bad? Any ideas?

Chris Barcellos March 11th, 2007 12:24 PM

Assuming you have a mono mic, your Beachtech should be switched to mono, so it will feed both sides.

Dan Measel March 11th, 2007 08:38 PM

Yes, that is what it has always done over the last 2-3 years. But now it's just showing up in the right channel, regardless of which side the mic is plugged in to. I think my Beachtek has gone bad but just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something on the FX1 that could be responsible before I spend a few hundered bucks (though I doubt it).

The funny thing is even though it is recording in just one channel I suppose I can just duplicate the channel in my NLE and make it the same as recording both channels, but it is super annoying monitoring audio with headphones on & only hearing one side.

Phillip Barnett March 12th, 2007 05:03 AM

Maybe the Head phones are bad??

Kyle Ringin March 12th, 2007 05:06 PM

I guess it's the first thing you checked, but are you sure the mini jack from the beachtek is pushed all the way into the fx1?

Dan Measel March 12th, 2007 07:34 PM

Yeah, checked headphones and mic jack. Actually tried to use it on my old Vx2000 but it wouldn't work right either, however, a totally different problem which just confused me. The sound was in both ears, but barely could hear it & it was distorted. I haven't used the VX2000 for so long I wasn't convinced that was a reliable test. Especially considering on the FX1 it is perfect volume and clarity, just uniaural. But I guess things are pointing to the Beachtek. That would be the best thing since I have a huge shoot coming up in 3 weeeks and don't have time to fix the camera if it's the problem.

Chris Barcellos March 12th, 2007 10:36 PM

Okay, just one more obvious question-- and I am sure you have thought of it.. Beacktek DXA8 is battery powered, right ? For phantom ? What mic combo are you using, and could that be an issue ?

Dan Measel March 16th, 2007 12:22 PM

Yeah, battery is ok. I'm using the same mic and setup I have successfully for almost the last 2 years. Actually, although it has been a long time & I can't remember the details, when I bought this DXA8, the first one they sent had a similar type problem and they exchaged it for this one. I guess I need to buy a new one and see if that's it.

Kyle Ringin March 18th, 2007 04:52 PM

Maybe the cable that runs from the beachtek to the camera has fatigued and broken? You could try wiggling it and see if the right channel cuts in and out. That would be a pretty easy fix, but if it's an internal component it'd probably require a tech to repair it.