FX1 audio problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 11th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FX1 audio problem

I use Beacktek DXA8 for external mic audio but recently it all of a sudden is only recording the audio on one channel (left). Is there a setting that I have messed up on the FX1 or has my Beachtek gone bad? Any ideas?
Dan Measel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Assuming you have a mono mic, your Beachtech should be switched to mono, so it will feed both sides.
Old March 11th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, that is what it has always done over the last 2-3 years. But now it's just showing up in the right channel, regardless of which side the mic is plugged in to. I think my Beachtek has gone bad but just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something on the FX1 that could be responsible before I spend a few hundered bucks (though I doubt it).

The funny thing is even though it is recording in just one channel I suppose I can just duplicate the channel in my NLE and make it the same as recording both channels, but it is super annoying monitoring audio with headphones on & only hearing one side.
Old March 12th, 2007, 05:03 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Maybe the Head phones are bad??
Phillip Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #5
Major Player

I guess it's the first thing you checked, but are you sure the mini jack from the beachtek is pushed all the way into the fx1?
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Yeah, checked headphones and mic jack. Actually tried to use it on my old Vx2000 but it wouldn't work right either, however, a totally different problem which just confused me. The sound was in both ears, but barely could hear it & it was distorted. I haven't used the VX2000 for so long I wasn't convinced that was a reliable test. Especially considering on the FX1 it is perfect volume and clarity, just uniaural. But I guess things are pointing to the Beachtek. That would be the best thing since I have a huge shoot coming up in 3 weeeks and don't have time to fix the camera if it's the problem.
Old March 12th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Okay, just one more obvious question-- and I am sure you have thought of it.. Beacktek DXA8 is battery powered, right ? For phantom ? What mic combo are you using, and could that be an issue ?
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:22 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Yeah, battery is ok. I'm using the same mic and setup I have successfully for almost the last 2 years. Actually, although it has been a long time & I can't remember the details, when I bought this DXA8, the first one they sent had a similar type problem and they exchaged it for this one. I guess I need to buy a new one and see if that's it.
Old March 18th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #9
Major Player

Maybe the cable that runs from the beachtek to the camera has fatigued and broken? You could try wiggling it and see if the right channel cuts in and out. That would be a pretty easy fix, but if it's an internal component it'd probably require a tech to repair it.
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1