Anyone using the Sound Devices mix pre with their Z1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 17th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Anyone using the Sound Devices mix pre with their Z1?

I was just wondering - is anyone using the Sound Devices mix pre (or 302) with their Z1? Just wanted some feedback on whether they worked well together, and if you were able to input at line level successfully? Looks as though it will work in theory, but I would like to know if anyone is using them, and if there is a real improvement in sound using line level. Having the extra channel is an obvious advantage.

Any help is much appreciated,

Last edited by Graeme Fullick; March 18th, 2007 at 01:41 AM.
Graeme Fullick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #2
Panoramic

Sound Devices 302

I use mine regularly, but with a DVX100. I think i will run a couple of tests, based on your questions, comparing my Sennheiser shotgun directly in vs using it via the 302 at line level. I'll post when I do, but it won't be for a couple of days.

The 302 manual is a little thin in describing the process of setting output levels.
Old March 18th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Paul, will look forward to your reply.

All the best,
Old March 18th, 2007, 05:12 AM   #4
Major Player

Hi Graeme,

I've got both a Z1 and the Premix.. they work very nicely together... I set the Ch2 input to line and feed the mixer in, while keeping the Ch1 on mic with an on board shot gun..

You set tone from the mixer, and away you got... the audio is much cleaner this way no hiss at all... in the past running a boom direct to camera, the camera preamps will fine alway sounded a bit hissy in the headphones...

The Premix preamps and limiters work a treat...

Regards
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 05:21 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Gareth,

Just needed to hear this before I looked at getting this mixer. Sounds like it might be the go.

All the best,
Old March 18th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Graeme,

Yes I think it is an excellent piece of kit for the money.. I couldn't quite extend to the 302, which would ultimately be a more versatile choice.. but costs more..

I think basically you need to ask yourself how many mics am I going to need..
With the Premix you can feed two line into one channel while keeping an on board for ambient etc..where as the 302 give you three inputs..

Regards
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1