Stills from my new film, having issues. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 18th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #1
New Boot

Stills from my new film, having issues.

I began shooting my new film with the FX1, the first film using my new cam. (editing with Sony Vegas 7d).

I have noticed when playing back my 60i HDV render on my 32" CRT via HDV, that I am getting some sort of, maybe, color sampling issue (I hope thats the right term for this)? The best way for me to describe it is basically like viewing your desktop, for example, at 16bit instead of 32bit...It downgrades the image and the resolution isn't as "tight", Brightness to darkness is more "blocky". It happens mostly around shaded areas where light fades from bright to darkness on the edges. In the stills below, I really dont see it. But when playing back, I do. I even see it some when I am viewing it on my 20" LCD monitor. The stills are some examples of where I seeing this stuff.

In still 1: In back of my actress, a lamp sits on an end table. I see the issue as the light fades to dark on the wall and ceiling. http://www.electricvertigo.com/Upload/8Butterflies1.jpg

In still 2: VERY little in back of the actress.
http://www.electricvertigo.com/Upload/8Butterflies2.jpg

In still 3: In this shot, headlights from a car run across the living room from the exterior. Again, I see this as the lights approach and as they go away (darkening the room).
http://www.electricvertigo.com/Upload/8Butterflies3.jpg

In still 4: On the bottom right hand of the screen is where I see it as well, as the light fades to dark on the wall.
http://www.electricvertigo.com/Upload/8Butterflies4.jpg

I hope you guys could give me some advice on this, or maybe if you are experiencing the same thing.

Thanks!
-Nick
www.electricvertigo.com
Josh Parra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #2

How are the stills captured? as jpgs or pngs? Additionally, you may need to crush the blacks as a result of the additional compression.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #3
New Boot

Re

Thanks Doug. They were captured as jpg . I usually do crush my blacks, so your saying crush the blacks even MORE when I export to 60i?

Last edited by Josh Parra; March 18th, 2007 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Tyo-o
Old March 18th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #4

depends on the target delivery medium. I wouldn't use JPG anyway, and I'd probably crush the blacks, or at least be sure that you're broadcast safe. I do tend to curve off the blacks in *most* instances, again depending on the delivery target.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #5
New Boot

Re

Oh. Well, the issue isnt the stills, though. I just used those to show where I see it. Its the video during playback on a screen. I do clamp via broadcast standards for the blacks. It's the "blocky" darkness/brightness issue.
Old March 19th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #6
New Boot

I think that's just to be expected with HDV's compression.
Matthew Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:50 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Ferguson View Post
I think that's just to be expected with HDV's compression.
I second that. As lame as it is, HDV doesn't handle dark scenes like yours very well.
Old March 29th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Looks consistent with our Z1 footage in low light too. Those dark but not black areas get blotchy.
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Oh dear...

Hi Josh,

I think you've answered a question I'd posted on the FCP edit forum. And I think I can second what people have been saying here on your post about HDV.

I'm currently in post on an HDV music promo that is exhibiting what appears to be exactly the same problem in shaded areas - especially where shadow meets light and on some items of dark clothing where there is movement involved.

I don't know about yours, but my footage appears fine when played from tape and viewed on the Z1 LCD screen or an external SD monitor via s-video.

However, once into the edit system (FCP in my case) the problems are there - and they continue on into quicktime movies and mpeg2's / dvd's.

So after a week of trying to resolve the problem I think I may be forced to concede that mine (and very possibley your's too) is the result of HDV not handling certain shooting conditions very well.

Which is a damn shame.
Old April 1st, 2007, 07:56 PM   #10
New Boot

Awesome guys, thanks! I guess I will just have to accept it. I am sure that no one else will be looking at it, but I sure as hell will! :)
Josh Parra is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1