DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Component out 'blacks out' if signal 'too bright'? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/90120-component-out-blacks-out-if-signal-too-bright.html)

James Huenergardt March 28th, 2007 09:16 AM

Component out 'blacks out' if signal 'too bright'?

Hi all,

I have something strange going on with my Z1U.

I had it hooked up to my Dell 24" monitor setting up my Redrock M2 the other day. I had it aimed at my Dell 19" which was displaying a white background.

Well, if I didn't stop down, or use an ND filter, the component signal to my Dell 24" from my Z1U 'wiggled' a bit, then cut out to black.

To get it to display once again, I'd have to cover the Z1U lens with my hand, and it would come back, but only after stopping down or using an ND filter.

Is there some sort of 'throttle' circuitry that doesn't allow a component signal that's too bright? Has anyone else had this issue?

I first noticed this when I was setting up my external monitor to run off my component cables. I thought there was something wrong with my Component to VGA adapter, but now I've seen it straight out of the component to my Dell 24".

It doesn't do this on the LCD, just the component out. Although I haven't tried it with S-Video or RCA out yet.

Thanks,

Jim

Daniel Browning March 28th, 2007 11:35 AM

Interesting. I don't know if it's any help, but when I hook my XH-A1 up to an old projector with component input, it will change brightness every few seconds. If I change it to 480i output, it's fine. (Something about the 1080i signal?)

Ben Winter March 28th, 2007 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Huenergardt (Post 650101)
Hi all,

I have something strange going on with my Z1U.

I had it hooked up to my Dell 24" monitor setting up my Redrock M2 the other day. I had it aimed at my Dell 19" which was displaying a white background.

Well, if I didn't stop down, or use an ND filter, the component signal to my Dell 24" from my Z1U 'wiggled' a bit, then cut out to black.

To get it to display once again, I'd have to cover the Z1U lens with my hand, and it would come back, but only after stopping down or using an ND filter.

Is there some sort of 'throttle' circuitry that doesn't allow a component signal that's too bright? Has anyone else had this issue?

I first noticed this when I was setting up my external monitor to run off my component cables. I thought there was something wrong with my Component to VGA adapter, but now I've seen it straight out of the component to my Dell 24".

It doesn't do this on the LCD, just the component out. Although I haven't tried it with S-Video or RCA out yet.

Thanks,

Jim

Never seen this. And I've definitely pointed the thing at a very bright sky while framing with a component-fed monitor.

Boyd Ostroff March 28th, 2007 02:27 PM

I've never seen this either, and I would suspect it might be the monitor which is doing the blanking...

James Huenergardt March 30th, 2007 12:36 PM

I'll have to try it on my HDTV as well.