Need to shoot PAL with HVR-Z1U: Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 29th, 2007, 01:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Need to shoot PAL with HVR-Z1U: Questions

Hello to all.

I have a shoot coming up where I will be renting the HVR-Z1U here in the US to shoot for a European client.

I have not used this camera as yet but as I understand it, it will shoot PAL 50I in standard def, 16:9 on DVCAM or Mini DV tapes... correct?

What does the camera provide for external video monitoring? I assume it will output standard def when set to SD for shooting. Does it do any kind of 16:9 into 4:3 squeeze (bars top and bottom) so I can use my existing 4:3 only monitor?

My plan is to set up and light in 60I using my trusty Sony monitor and then switch to 50I for the shoot and use the LCD screen.

Any other advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old March 29th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Correct, the Z1 will shoot 50i any way you want it (SD/HD, standard/wide) on any miniDV tape.

For external monitoring you can choose whatever fits you, firewire, component (ask for the supplied cable if you want to do this, it comes with a special connector on the camera end), S-video, or even composite (again, ask for the cable).

And yes, you can squeeze your pix for monitoring.
Old March 29th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Thank you, Ervin. This will help me tons.

BTW: Nice web site!
Old March 29th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #4
DVi Contributor

most SONY pro monitors will accept both PAL and NTSC signal. which monitor do you have?
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1