French Flag Solution - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 27th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #16
Major Player

Never had a problem on the resale value on my cams I ussally keep them 12 to 14 months. Here's a better picture on the mod
Attached Thumbnails
French Flag Solution-1.jpg   French Flag Solution-2.jpg  

Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #17
Inner Circle

i purchased the matte box and the french flag described above long time ago.
I should say that if the price is good, the material is cheap either.
the screws that locks the french flag are very weak and i do not recommend it for people moving the camera while shooting. You would see to often the franch flag falling over the lens.
that is why i designed the french flag a described before.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 07:19 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Brian Rhodes wrote :
"I have attached a french flag to my original sony lens hood on My Fx1"

Giroud Francois wrote :
"the screws that locks the french flag are very weak... ...often the french flag falling over the lens"

I was considering doing exactly like Brian did with my FX1, but Francois seems to say it's not a good idea, Brian does this problem happen to you? did you modify the screw? can you only film while on a tripod? or is it stiff enough to film while going up and down stairs with that shaky look? without having the french flag falling over...
Donald Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:28 PM   #19
Major Player

I have not experienced this problem. The French flag comes with and allen wrench, I make sure the flag is very secure before I start a shoot. I do mostly wedding so I am moving around a lot; I have never had a problem. The only problem I have had with the French flag is on a windy day its makes the cam hard to hold steady when hand held.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 06:41 PM   #20
Regular Crew

www.flarebuster.com

Never bought one, but toyed with it.
Jeremiah Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #21
Major Player

I've heard of viral advertising, but that takes the cake...looks like it would technically work, but if it fell into just one shot it would be in the garbage. It's nice to have options though.

Brian, I'm sold on your approach. BTW, what adapter are you using for your light and mic shoe?
Old May 8th, 2007, 10:15 AM   #22
Major Player

I am using a J-RODE, I added an extra shoe to the J-Rode for my wireless mike. Jeff is now selling the J-Rode with the two shoe attachments. I placed the shoe in a different location away from the cam handle.

www.thej-rod.com
Attached Thumbnails
French Flag Solution-1br1.jpg  
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #23
Trustee

For glue, I'm a big fan of J B Weld for attaching things that need to stay put, it's an epoxy that can be sanded once it's set.

For a pattern, look at the barndoors from http://www.coollights.biz This is primarily the exact same thing, so if you have a removable lens hood, you could add this to an extra one with epoxy for a minimal cost. I would recommend punching a few holes in the bracket that you're gluing to give the epoxy something to grab.
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #24
Inner Circle

while it is not always important, you should note that the big french flag solution block a little bit the front mic of the camera.
If you are finnicky enough to use a french flag, you probably do not use the this mic.
the second thing is my french flag has less surface in case of wind and can also block light from the side.
and last thing, it is lighter...
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2007, 06:12 PM   #25
Trustee

Here's another DIY matte box...beginnings at the end of the slideshow for concepts for actually making filterholders as well, never followed up on.

http://www.sticktowhatyouknow.com/bt...box/index.html
Old May 9th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #26
New Boot

Hi Guys

Last week, I ordered the matte box from the Ebay seller in India and was a little worried about the build quality until it turned up today. It's surprisingly robust and very well made - it fits the camera like a dream and all I need now is to get some filters for it!

I've tightened up the french flag and given it a good waggle but can't budge it; there's also no unfinished or rough edges so I'm very impressed. Also, I didn't get charged any import tax or vat as the seller stamped the box as camera parts worth $8!

The camera looks fantastic with it mounted on front!

Regards

T
Terry Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #27
Trustee

How much did that set you back Terry? If you don't mind my asking?
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #28
New Boot

Hi Cole

It cost me $140 for the matte box and $15 shipping which worked out to £80 for me. My local camera shop sell just a matte box with no filter holder or french flag for £200 ($380) so this was a bargain!

I ordered it last Tuesday and it arrived today so I'm going to order some more from the guy. I believe that they have a shop in the USA too.

Regards

T
Terry Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #29
Major Player

Cole, I think the DIY wouldn't last very long with someone like myself shooting. I'm surprised my cams work from gig to gig as it is. On the flip side, it would be very light, and cheap enough to make for all my cams. Hmm.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1