Exactly how much resolution loss in the conversion to 24p? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 19th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Exactly how much resolution loss in the conversion to 24p?

I almost had a Canon XH-A1 but now it looks like I can't get it anymore, I might have deal on an FX1 instead so I'm heavily considering that. The deal breaker for me between the two was obviously the 24p but with the fx1 I can convert with Natress. So my question is shooting in 60i and converting to 24p, just now much resolution loss will there be? How apparent is it on a larger screen? I would be using it for my first feature and I just want a difinitive percentage answer and hopefully testomony from someone who has done the same.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:19 PM   #2
New Boot

I don't know the answer to that that - but I do know that the Canon A1 loses 10 - 15% of it's vertical resolution in progressive mode compared to shooting interlaced. So that's worth bearing in mind when you do find out the answer...
Kieran James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 05:55 PM   #3
Trustee

http://www.dvfilm.com/fx1/index.htm has good framegrabs demonstrating resolution loss (or lack thereof)

I find the loss is negligible with my conversion with DVFilm Maker. This is where my 60i converted to 24p footage has been blown up and projected to a 40' screen, still very sharp and watchable. I'm sure it's no less than 10%, but can't be much different.

I use a 35mm adapter on top of this and still get great, crisp footage, so it can't be that bad.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1