72mm lens cap at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #1
Trustee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Posts: 1,137
72mm lens cap

One detail I found lacking in both the PD170 and the Z1 is their not having a protection lens cap.

Even if you keep an UV filter on it all the time, you have to keep it clean and protected from dust and finger oil smudges.

The case I adapted for my Z1 fits exactly on the internal airplane baggage compartment. For that I had to cut the case foam into a practical shape.

The sunshade goes into a different hole inside the case, so the filter stays close to the fabric I used. Electrostatic attracts dust to the lens, so you have to brush it away every time you take the camera out.

A lens cap would be handy.

There are several 72mm lens cap available, used on other lenses. From Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Tamron. Going from $13.50 to $6. But I wonder if they would all fit the Z1. Not willing to order one from here and not working, I wonder if any of you is using one.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:22 AM   #2
New Boot
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Prince Albert, SK Canada
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos E. Martinez View Post
A lens cap would be handy.

There are several 72mm lens cap available, used on other lenses. From Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Tamron. Going from $13.50 to $6. But I wonder if they would all fit the Z1. Not willing to order one from here and not working, I wonder if any of you is using one.

Avoid the plastic snap-on or push-on types. They fall off too easily. Get the metal screw-in types. They have the same thread as the lens and will also screw on to a filter. Good camera shops carry them.

Here's one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...etal_Lens.html
George Huczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #3
Trustee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Posts: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Huczek View Post
Avoid the plastic snap-on or push-on types. They fall off too easily.
In my case it would go in and off only when I take it out of the case. A thin nylon or cotton string should prevent my losing it, probably. Push on I don't care much for, but a snap-in might work better.

The question is if snap-ins are universal.

Quote:
Get the metal screw-in types. They have the same thread as the lens and will also screw on to a filter. Good camera shops carry them.
One thing I would like to stay away for are thread-in accessories. I already hate the UV filter, because it's not bayonet. A bayonet cap would be great, but there's not such a thing.

Threaded accessories are not made to take in and out all the time. It tends to destroy the threads and that would be a very bad thing.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #4
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Mays Landing, NJ
Posts: 11,543
Hi Carlos. I have two 72mm lens caps. One is a metal screw-in type, like a filter. Got it at a used camera shop, no idea who makes it.

I also have one that snaps on with push-in buttons on either side. It's just a cheap plastic one that came from a rack of generic supplies at a camera store. Don't know the brand, it only says "Made in Taiwan" on the inside.

But I wonder if it wouldn't be a better idea to get a different bag or case so you can leave the original lens hood attached? That's what I do. I don't use either of those caps on my Z1. Regardless, I think any 72mm cap should fit the camera. My snap on cap only cost a few dollars, so you don't stand to lose a whole lot by trying one.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #5
Trustee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Posts: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
Hi Carlos. I have two 72mm lens caps. One is a metal screw-in type, like a filter.
Screw-in, as I said, is not a good idea for that.

Quote:
I also have one that snaps on with push-in buttons on either side. It's just a cheap plastic one that came from a rack of generic supplies at a camera store. Don't know the brand, it only says "Made in Taiwan" on the inside.
Probably that's the one for me. Just have to add a securing string.

Quote:
But I wonder if it wouldn't be a better idea to get a different bag or case so you can leave the original lens hood attached? That's what I do.
This case has proved quite practical for my kind of work. The problem is I use two hoods: the original one and the matte-box I bought on E-bay. For shooting indoors, the original hood is more practical. For outdoors the other.

Quote:
I don't use either of those caps on my Z1. Regardless, I think any 72mm cap should fit the camera. My snap on cap only cost a few dollars, so you don't stand to lose a whole lot by trying one.
Yes, I will try one and see. If the snap-in you got was generic and worked on the Z1, then most should do. And as you say they are cheap enough.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #6
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Stockton, UT
Posts: 5,648
FWIW, my method of keeping lenscaps handy is to put a small strip of "male" velcro on the lens cap, and a small strip of "female" Velcro on the top of the cam, or in an area on the cam that is convenient. The cap attaches to the body in this manner. I don't like strings/lanyards, as they tend to bang around and make noise.
__________________
Douglas Spotted Eagle/Spot
Author, producer, composer
Certified Sony Vegas Trainer
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #7
Trustee
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Posts: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle View Post
FWIW, my method of keeping lenscaps handy is to put a small strip of "male" velcro on the lens cap, and a small strip of "female" Velcro on the top of the cam, or in an area on the cam that is convenient. The cap attaches to the body in this manner. I don't like strings/lanyards, as they tend to bang around and make noise.
Certainly agreed on that. What I do is use both things: the string and a piece of velcro, usually on the outside of the hand support, on the right.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:25 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network