Damage on Z1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old July 19th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Damage on Z1

I dropped my Z1 on ground and came to know that it cost me lot of money to repair. Sony technian informed me that the PBC board of i link was damaged. It cost me $1,000 to replace this board. Luckily, recording and playing back functions are normal. Only problem is I could not output the 1080i video from i link port of my Z1 to my PC.

I consider it too expensive to replace the i-link board. In my recent job, I put the tape (shot by Z1) in HDR-HC3 and captured the 1080i video to PC through its i link port.

My question is : is there any video quality difference when I use i-link port of HDR-HC3 to caputre the tape shot by Z1?

If no, I would buy a used HC3 at around $400. That way, I saved $300 and got and extra camera.
Peter Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #2
Regular Crew

There is no quality difference since basically its a file transfer of your video footage via iLink to your computer.

What you lose out on is either PAL or NTSC playback, unless you buy another HC3 of a diffferent format. Perhaps the PAL version of the HC3 can play back NTSC footage? If so, I'd get the PAL version.
Ian Holb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 01:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have a PAL HC1 and it downconverts and outputs trough FireWire (I.Link) both 1080i50 and 1080i60 or PAL25 and NTSC 29.97.

I usually use this camera to transfer to computer footage recorded with my FX1 and quality is identical as it's just transmitting digital data.
Pedro Paiva is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1