Z1 Microphone holder spacer at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old July 25th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #1
Major Player

Z1 Microphone holder spacer

I think I'm losing my marbles!!!

On the Z1 I've had for just over a year I have a rubber spacer in the mic holder into which the Ride NTG2 sits very snugly.

I've recently bought an additional Z1 and NTG2 but have no spacer so the mic is loose.

Now I can't for the life of me remember where I got that spacer - did it come with the camera or the mic or would it have ben 3rd party? If anyone can confirm whether to should have come with the camera or mic I'd appreciate it.

Thank You

Ian
Ian Briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Well this solution may be a little 'shade treeish', but I take the foam liner from my case and wrap the mic in it. I don't know where you would get the spacer from. But if you're in a pinch, you might need to do a Mcgyver.
Old July 25th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #3

The spacer came with early Z1's here in the US, I don't know about the UK.
You can order one from Sony, or more inexpensively make your own from either gaffers tape or a bicycle inner tube.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #4
Major Player

Or cut up a mousepad!
Old July 26th, 2007, 01:42 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I've never thought the Sony spacer offers enough isolation from the body of the camera Ian, whereas the excellent and tough Rycote Softie rubber suspension mount is far better. And it allows me to use the longish ME66 in the Softie yet not have it appear in shot even when I'm using my 0.52x wid-angle converter on the Z1.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 04:22 AM   #6
Major Player

Ok - thanx Guys.

Spot - I guess early UK Z1s must have had the spacer also. Tom - I actually use the Rode shock mount but that has the same diameter as the mic so is still loose.

I'll try some of the suggestions from everyone else.

Thanx

Ian
Ian Briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Ian, just up the road from you at Preston.

I got my rubber holder from Preston's, at Malvern, when I ordered my Rode, perhaps he can get you one.

Peter
Peter Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #8
Trustee

You might find my solution useful:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....0&postcount=18

The existing mic holder with spacers sort of works OK with the very light Sony mic. It relies on the rubber dimples inside the clamp for vibration isolation. Use a heavier mic and / or spacer and you can end up compressing those dimples and loose their vibration isolation. My solution above is working very well on two of our Z1s. So far nothing has broken and they get a regular pounding.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 08:51 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Is this what you are looking for? I have 1 sitting around and do not need it anymore. Let me know if you interested. My email: hantanbl@gmail.com

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s...derwspacer.jpg
John Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 09:04 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
I've never thought the Sony spacer offers enough isolation from the body of the camera Ian, whereas the excellent and tough Rycote Softie rubber suspension mount is far better. And it allows me to use the longish ME66 in the Softie yet not have it appear in shot even when I'm using my 0.52x wid-angle converter on the Z1.
I second this recommendation. Shock mount, spacer and holder all in one neat little unit, such as this (different models exist for mics with different diameters):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tie_Mount.html

A little expensive, yes, but it works really well and you can also use it to mount a mic on a boom.

- Martin

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1