Sony Unveils HDR-FX1000 , HVR-Z5J - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Closed Thread

Old October 19th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #136
Go Cycle

If I am not mistaken, I think SONY is re-releasing the FX-7 again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Standing View Post
What's astonishing to me is that Sony is not only coming out with more and more prosumer HDV gear, but that they're not retiring the older models, like the Z1, A1 or the V1. How many slices are they going to cut this particular market segment into?

Must be rough on their service centers and parts distributors, to keep track of all the different models!
Old October 19th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #137
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Bruno View Post
If I am not mistaken, I think SONY is re-releasing the FX-7 again.
Hey we got our hands on a LOT of the new AVC-HD (AVC-CAM Panasonic is calling it) that many are touting as "the" low end HD format and quite frankly other than difficulty in accessing it and challenging computer consumption, we see NO IMPROVEMENT in image quality over HDV. In fact, we have imported HDV into 1920x1080 from a Sony non-square HDV file and it looks astonishingly identical to the AVC-HD that was shot side by side with it. The HDV was shot with a Z7.
Old October 19th, 2008, 06:00 PM   #138
MPS Digital Studios

I thought the FX7 was dead and the FX1000 was the newest "consumer" camera.

heath
Old October 19th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #139
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Smith View Post
You must be thinking of the EX series cameras on the rolling shutter thingy. We ran our tests on the Z7U the minute we got it and unless the flash/strobe is directly in the line of fire in the lens AND within 4 feet . . no rolling shutter. Even then, unlike the EX exactly 7 frames were affected all three times it happened out of over 100 flashes from all sorts of still flash cameras including the pro photographer. We had an awful time trying to get it to happen.

So the Z7U isn't the rolling shutter problem camera, that appears to be exclusive to the EX series of CMOS :o)
But still, the problem is there, this will cause problems to matchmove objects at higher velocities (AKA shakeycam matchmoving), so the Z1 still looks mighty to me.

And are these using pixel shift? or are they a lot closer to a native resolution than the cameras before them?
Old October 19th, 2008, 07:22 PM   #140
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
But still, the problem is there, . . .
Actually, there are NO lost frames, just 1 to 3 weird looking frames that when played at regular speed just look like a flash like our DVX100B which we cut the Z7 with. The EX1 on the other hand offered us many frames messed up but I can't really say if there is an issue with "dropped frames" which I think the above quot is referring but there were none.

Hope that helps.
Old October 20th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #141
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight View Post
I thought the FX7 was dead
For the life on me, I can't find the link to the press release right now -- could have sworn it was on this very forum -- but both Amazon and B&H are taking preorders for the FX7 at $1999.... Amazon says the release date is November 2.

I seem to recall the announcement was actually at the tail end of the FX1000/Z5 press release.

Here's the original thread announcing this but no link to the press release... and after about five posts the discussion devolves into the supporters and detractors of the FX7 arguing with one another.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-hvr-...wer-price.html
Old October 20th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #142
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Smith View Post
Actually, there are NO lost frames, just 1 to 3 weird looking frames that when played at regular speed just look like a flash like our DVX100B which we cut the Z7 with. The EX1 on the other hand offered us many frames messed up but I can't really say if there is an issue with "dropped frames" which I think the above quot is referring but there were none.

Hope that helps.
Nope, this is not a dropped frame issue, it's a skew issue due to the rolling shutter scanning rows of pixels too slow.
Old October 20th, 2008, 07:12 PM   #143
Regular Crew

FX7 in Low Light?

We have a z7 for our main HD camera. Can someone tell me which would be the right sony solution in low light HDV? Does the FX7 do that? Or are the 1/4" CMOS just toooooo small?
Old October 21st, 2008, 06:50 AM   #144
Major Player

fX7 in low light

if low light efectiveness is what you're after I'd stay clear of the FX7, dont get me wrong, its great in good/decent lighting, but pretty poor in low light.

Look at the new FX1000/Z5 that sony are releaseing in the next few weeks, very good in low light (I've personally had a shot of a demo Z5)

All the best

James
Old October 22nd, 2008, 04:40 PM   #145
Inner Circle

Rodger, just sold my FX7, and am so glad I did...very poor in low light, it will not match up well with what you are currently running.

Footage was unusable next to the PD series cams. Not that it is a fair comparison, but the FX7 was so far off in so many ways, I just couldn't use it. And while there are those who will argue till the death about this, I found the picture from the FX7 very soft as well.

The 1/4" chips just can't cut it, at least not for me.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 04:05 AM   #146
Major Player

You had a duff FX-7 for sure,recently i did some filming with a friend and his F1, he let me edit some of the footage together the FX-7 footage was sharper with the resolution setting on both cams in the preset centre setting,no way does the FX 7 give soft results,some of the colours leave a little to be desired maybe to my liking,its also not meant for too low light filming.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 10:06 AM   #147
Major Player

I guess it depends on what you're coming from. I've been shooting with an A1U. The low light on the FX7 will be a big improvement for me. I'll miss the XLR, but it's not a big deal for most of my projects. I'll add a BeachTec sometime in the future.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:32 AM   #148
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Wilcox View Post
I guess it depends on what you're coming from. I've been shooting with an A1U. The low light on the FX7 will be a big improvement for me. I'll miss the XLR, but it's not a big deal for most of my projects. I'll add a BeachTec sometime in the future.
Yes you will find an improvement,i meant the FX-7 is not in the Z5 /EX3 league or the new FX-100, low light is not one of my top priorities,good luck with yours.
Old October 30th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #149
Major Player

HVR-MRC1K list price

Sony finally has listed it's list price for the HVR-MRC1K and also a list price for the Z5

Sony Product Detail Page - HVRMRC1K

Sony Product Detail Page - HVRZ5U

Wonder what the street price will be on the MRC1K
Old October 30th, 2008, 11:21 AM   #150
MPS Digital Studios

In my experience, new Sony pro products' street price is close to the MSRP. It drops soon after, or at least depending on how sales go. The V1u dropped from $5000 to about $3800 in a matter of months, early last year.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000