Sony Unveils HDR-FX1000 , HVR-Z5J - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Closed Thread

Old September 4th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
Sony is rolling out cameras faster than lightning! The price of the Z5 is too close to Z7 if they are looking at beating Canon XH-A1. Yeah, I think Z1 is still quite a treasure as it is the last CCD cam left from Sony!
Amen to that, I can't think of any other Sony prosumer HD CCD cams (other than the brother, the FX1)...
Old September 4th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #17
Major Player

IMHO, it looks like the Z5 is an upgrade from the V1 and not the Z1, in spite of not carrying a "V" designation. One other way to look at it is that it is a detuned Z7 with the V1 non-interchangeable lens and no internal CF card recorder. I would guess that the street price will be similar to the current V1 street price. I wish Sony would get away from those servo controlled lenses.
Old September 5th, 2008, 01:54 AM   #18
Inner Circle

According to one article I found both cameras use 1/3" CMOS sensors, so these are effectively CMOS replacements for the FX1 and Z1U with a better zoom range to boot. Also note that the Z5J is apparently dual PAL/NTSC capable like the Z1U, so worth a few extra bucks for that.

If the FX1000 has the sensitivity of the Z7U at an FX1 price, it could be a good tool for event videographers who want excellent low-light performance at reasonable cost. And with the optional CF recorder it offers handy transitional options for those interested in solid-state recording without being forced to give up tape. It's just too bad Sony doesn't put XLR inputs on the FX series cameras.
Old September 5th, 2008, 02:55 AM   #19
Major Player

"They can have my CCD cameras when they pry them from my cold, dead fingers."

hahahahaha

In all seriousness, the Z5J looks like a good buy, but at close to 5K, whew. I think
I would take the Z7 for the interchangeable lenses. In fact, I almost did, thankfullly
i waited. Isn't the Canon XH-A1 close to getting an upgrade as well? Sure will be interesting
to see what they come up with.
Old September 5th, 2008, 05:57 AM   #20
Major Player

Has anyone spotted the difference between the new CF recorder, the MCR1K, and the existing one announced with the Z7/S270? Some of the articles say it will fit onto the Z5, implying it won't fit directly onto the FX1000. Can that be right?

Why are people shedding tears because the new cams are CMOS, not CCD, and swearing to keep their CCD-fitted Z1s and FX1s for years and years? Are CCDs really so much better? I thought CMOS had a few advantages, like less smear from bright lights and greater exposure lattitude for clearer shadows, etc.

These cams look to me like fixed-lens versions of the Z7 to replace the Z1 and the FX1, and I'd expect them to sell for the same sort of prices as the Z1 and FX1 do now (once the inital bruhahah has settled down). I'de also expect a few bargin offers on the last stocks of the old models in the January Sales.

So what will Canon do? The XH-A1 has competed with the FX1 and Z1 by offering better resolution, working (albeit non-standard) progressive modes, balanced and unbalanced audio in the same cam, and a longer zoom, at a price in between the old Sonys. Price cuts first and a new model at NAB '09??
Old September 5th, 2008, 06:06 AM   #21
Major Player

Mark, do a search on the effects of the rolling shutter. For me, one of the main reasons to get the Z7 was for the CF recorder. My FX1/Z1s still deliver incredible pictures. Seriously, would any of your clients notice if you spent big bucks on new cameras? I doubt it. and I doubt they would pay any higher price either. Now that the recorders are out, if something were to happen to one of my cams, i would have to go Canon for the CCDs.
Old September 5th, 2008, 06:37 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
...Seriously, would any of your clients notice if you spent big bucks on new cameras?...
One or two of my viewers noticed when I switched from an XM1 to an XH-A1. I'm very lucky that the only person I have to please is myself, and I won't replace what I've got unless/until it goes wrong. The CF card recorder could be really handy though, to cover the occassional tape glitch.
Old September 5th, 2008, 06:46 AM   #23
Major Player

yep, that would be a noticeable change. I should have clarified that going from one
3 chip HD camera to another 3 chip HD camera, most won't notice.
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:01 AM   #24
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw View Post
According to one article I found both cameras use 1/3" CMOS sensors, so these are effectively CMOS replacements for the FX1 and Z1U ....
The reference to CMOS Exmor is in the official FX1000 product brochure (linked above), so I think you're right... these seem to be the CMOS replacements for the FX1 and Z1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fry View Post
Has anyone spotted the difference between the new CF recorder, the MCR1K, and the existing one announced with the Z7/S270? Some of the articles say it will fit onto the Z5, implying it won't fit directly onto the FX1000....
There's no mention of it in the accessories section of the FX1000 brochure, so it's most likely not compatible, unfortunately.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:03 AM   #25
Regular Crew

New Hdr-fx1000

This seems like a nice 2nd cam. What do you guys think? Good price too.

The inclusion of their EXMOR processor should really improve the low light abilities like it did on the SR12.
Old September 5th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #26
Major Player

Basically a fixed lens z7u with fx branding and and z5 branding. Sony wants everyone's market! The xha1 has come competition? Interesting time, these are cams I honestly didn't predict. Gotta call my sony rep for fun now!

Everyone who wrote me asking about the MRC1 being sold separately, like I said september!

Edit: Also no Zeiss branding! But I never believed they were actually zeiss lenses in the first place, I've always thought that they bought either the rights to the design or to the coating, so that probably changes nothing.
Old September 5th, 2008, 08:03 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurth Bousman View Post
are you guys talking about the cineform hdmi recorder ?
No these are the Sony versions.... so far from what I read the recorders are firewire implimented
versus HDMI... so the sony ones are not in the same ballpark as the future cineform and
the CD XDR/Nano.. But the Sony ones are at a nice cost level for what they do...

Last edited by Ray Bell; September 5th, 2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old September 5th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #28
Obstreperous Rex

Like the FX1000, the Z5 includes HDMI output... it's about time the pro cameras get this.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old September 5th, 2008, 08:12 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan C. King View Post
Everyone who wrote me asking about the MRC1 being sold separately, like I said september!
So the CF recorder mentioned in the Z5/FX1000 announcement IS the same as the gadget included with the Z7? That makes more sense. If it's not available separately yet, then that explains why my searches for "Sony CF Recorder" on my favourite video equipment shops didn't find anything. Funny, I thought it was on sale already... Hey-ho!
Old September 5th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Standing View Post
Is the Z5 a fixed-lens version of the Z7? If so, it seems priced a bit high...

I'm assuming the memory recorder is the same one used on the Z7/270. It would be nice if Sony came out with one that would record JVC ProHD 720 24p as well. Probably too much to hope for.
Brian a collegue of my has tried it and says it works but I need to call him and double make sure he was shooting hd
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000