Sony Unveils HDR-FX1000 , HVR-Z5J - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Closed Thread

Old September 5th, 2008, 08:33 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Too many new releases...so is this leaning towards being a new version of the V1 or Z1?
Old September 5th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #32
Major Player

ha, my Sony rep just replied back to me and said it won't work without a Z5.
Old September 5th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #33
Regular Crew

I'm really unimpressed with these releases feature-wise.

Same old, same old.

I read there's no real progressive. Why is that? I don't understand their passion with interlaced video. Canon consumer cameras have real progressive, right?

And the prices are through the roof, the FX7 was a good buy at $2500, this FX1000 should be no more than $3000, being already expensive at that.

I don't do weddings, events and such, my main interest is short movies and commercials, I thank god RED Scarlet showed up.
Old September 5th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #34
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fry View Post
Why are people shedding tears because the new cams are CMOS, not CCD, and swearing to keep their CCD-fitted Z1s and FX1s for years and years? Are CCDs really so much better? I thought CMOS had a few advantages, like less smear from bright lights and greater exposure lattitude for clearer shadows, etc.
One thing I have noticed with the CMOS is problems with my DIY 35mm vibrating adapters. With my little HV20, I have had some shots get a wiggly jello effect. I am assuming this is related to rolling shutter, and a specific frequency of the vibrating screen. I don't see this occuring on my FX1.
Old September 5th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #35
Major Player

sony mattebox/filterholder

This new accessory caught my eyes. I can't tell if it's gonna be cool or gimmicky.
VCL-HG0872K??????????? | ePROSHOP : SYSTEM5

Looks like only one stage and doesn't rotate.
Old September 5th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #36
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
Scott, did he give you a reason for this.
Besides the fact that they want you to buy a Z5.

Because if it is the same CF recorder that is being used with the Z7, then it will work with other cameras that have firewire.

Also if it won't work with anything else but a Z5, then how some the unit is being sold separately and before the release of the Z5 camera?

We can guess all we want, but it wouldn't be the first time that a rep didn't know what they were talking about. We'll just have to wait until these units come out.
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan C. King View Post
Brian a collegue of my has tried it and says it works but I need to call him and double make sure he was shooting hd
Really?!! Please do let me know what you find out from your friend. That would be fabulous news if that were true. This is one of the few Sony gadgets that looks to be MUCH, MUCH cheaper than the competition. Compare the street price of Sony's CF recorder to that of the Firestore FS-5 or the Edirol F-1. If it could do ProHD 720 24P, I'd be thrilled!
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min Lee View Post
This new accessory caught my eyes. I can't tell if it's gonna be cool or gimmicky.
VCL-HG0872K??????????? | ePROSHOP : SYSTEM5

Looks like only one stage and doesn't rotate.
Yeah I can't tell if that's just a mattebox or it's a wide lens with a mattebox built in? The "0872" in the name makes me think it's an .8x 72mm, but I don't see much of an element.
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:52 PM   #39
Major Player

man, i know he wants to sell me a camera :-). I still want one, but I don't want to
give up CCDs. How will the recorder work? will it require a firewire cable on older
cameras? I wish someone had some closeup pictures of the connectors.
Old September 5th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Standing View Post
Really?!! Please do let me know what you find out from your friend. That would be fabulous news if that were true. This is one of the few Sony gadgets that looks to be MUCH, MUCH cheaper than the competition. Compare the street price of Sony's CF recorder to that of the Firestore FS-5 or the Edirol F-1. If it could do ProHD 720 24P, I'd be thrilled!
Yeah when I know for sure I'll drop you a line.
Old September 5th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #41
Trustee

Quote:
man, i know he wants to sell me a camera :-). I still want one, but I don't want to
give up CCDs. How will the recorder work? will it require a firewire cable on older
cameras? I wish someone had some closeup pictures of the connectors.
Looking at pictures of it here, it looks ALOT like the same CF recorder that the Z7 uses.

HVR-Z5J | •i• | HDV | ‰f‘œ‹@ | •‘—E‹–—p | ƒ\ƒj[

http://www.sony.jp/products/Professi...c1k/index.html

And as I said it is the same CF module, then it will work with recorders with firewire ports. As there are users that have been using the Z7 module with Canon A1/Sony FX1, with success in both SD and HDV.

And as I said in an earlier post, a Sony rep told me that they would be releasing the Z7 Cf recorder for public use, sometime n SEP-OCT area. Which would be right in the ballpark of when the Z5 CF recorder is slated for release.

Coincidence? You decide. =)
After all Sony will sell a TON of these units if they release them. It would probably turn out to be one of their most successful accessories EVER. And we all know that Sony loves to make money. Even at the expense of their own products.
Old September 5th, 2008, 01:21 PM   #42
Major Player

on the sony cams, will you have to plug in an extra cable? will it mount to the battery
compartment like it does on the Z7? crap. I still want a new camera :-)
Old September 5th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Scott just by looking at it I can tell that it's the same piece. The only part of the name that has changed is the addition of the "K", which could be used only in japan anyway. Over hear it's called the MRC1.

It's two pieces the piece with the CF card slot hooks onto the back of the Z5 and Z7 and is powered by the cam. When using it on another camera you just put it on the included sled, put an L series battery on there and put it on a bracket that goes on your shoe mount (when I've used it I just used a longer cable and chucked it in a pocket) and you're off the races.

Remember the vast majority of hdv cameras are sony models so it makes no sense for them not to include the back piece and have it interface with only the Z5 and Z7, especially when the Z7 already ships with it. The back part also appears in the japanese pictures so it's all good!
Old September 5th, 2008, 01:40 PM   #44
Trustee

Quote:
on the sony cams, will you have to plug in an extra cable? will it mount to the battery
compartment like it does on the Z7? crap. I still want a new camera :-)
If it's like the Z7 module, then it will connect onto the back of the Z5 (like the Z7 does).

And on any other camera, whether it be Sony, Canon, JVC etc, you would have to mount the module onto any other camera via firewire and mount elsewhere, like on the handle via a handle bracket, velcro, whatever.
Old September 5th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #45
Major Player

right, the back design of the Z5 and Z1 should be the same, so there should be no
reason to have to take up the hotshoe to mount it. IF that's not the case, it might
be worth the cost of a new camera just to avoid the hassle of being tethered to a device
hanging off the camera. That's a pain.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000