Sony Unveils HDR-FX1000 , HVR-Z5J - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Closed Thread

Old September 5th, 2008, 01:53 PM   #46
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
right, the back design of the Z5 and Z1 should be the same, so there should be no
reason to have to take up the hotshoe to mount it. IF that's not the case, it might
be worth the cost of a new camera just to avoid the hassle of being tethered to a device
hanging off the camera. That's a pain.
Scott the Z5 and Z7 should have the same back.
The Z1 has a different back, where the battery compartment isn't as deep as the Z7. So the module would not be able to attach in the same manner.
Old September 5th, 2008, 02:47 PM   #47
Trustee

See this article to show that you can indeed use this recorder with other cameras via firewire port. This was the statement that was called out.

"The memory recorder can also connect to other HDV camcorders using a standard IEEE1394 cable."

Sony launches two DV-tape hi-def camcorders News - PC Advisor
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #48
Inner Circle

Will either of these cameras record progressive footage?
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:52 PM   #49
Inner Circle

Yes, from what I've read the FX1000 will shoot progressive but record to 60i, while the Z5 will shoot and record true progressive. For both models I think it's only 24p and 30p.
Old September 5th, 2008, 04:02 PM   #50
Major Player

Heys check this page and it clearly shows that the mrc1k can be used with other cameras so it is definetly indentical to the z7 part:

HVR-MRC1K | 商品情報 | HDV | 映像制作機材 | 放送・業務用 | ソニー
Old September 6th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #51
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
I read there's no real progressive. Why is that? I don't understand their passion with interlaced video. Canon consumer cameras have real progressive, right?

And the prices are through the roof, the FX7 was a good buy at $2500, this FX1000 should be no more than $3000, being already expensive at that.

I don't do weddings, events and such, my main interest is short movies and commercials, I thank god RED Scarlet showed up.
Interlaced video is still a useful way to increase resolution with limited bandwidth, and the Canon HDV cameras aren't technically "true" progressive cameras (effectively yes, but not literally).

The list prices are a little high but no more so than the FX1 and Z1U at launch, and especially after allowing for four years of inflation. The FX1000 in particular could set a new standard for affordable low-light HD recording, which has been an ongoing concern with cameras in this price range. If the feature set and price don't meet your needs there are lots of other options to choose from, so no worries there. We'll see how "Scalett" fits into all this when it's finalized and shipping.
Old September 6th, 2008, 06:01 AM   #52
Major Player

CF recording...ahhh...can't wait. Hate dumping tapes.
Old September 6th, 2008, 06:05 AM   #53
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shaw View Post
...the Canon HDV cameras aren't technically "true" progressive cameras (effectively yes, but not literally).
Actually they do indeed produce progressive video. Final Cut Pro and other NLE applications use their standard 1080p24 and 1080p30 capture settings for Canon Frame mode. The software can't detect any difference between Canon Frame mode and progressive scan video because there isn't any difference -- as far as the software is concerned, Canon Frame mode is progressive scan. The software doesn't fall victim to marketing hype.

The problem with implying that one particular method is "true" is to imply that other methods are "false," and that's not the case here. There is nothing false about Canon Frame mode -- it is indeed progressive scan. When two or more methods produce identical results, one method can't be more "true" than the other. "True" used to be an absolute term which these days has unfortunately been beaten down to an obscure abstraction by a lot of marketing hype. We strongly suggest not buying in to marketing hype. Look at the results instead: Canon Frame mode is progressive scan. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #54
New Boot

NEW Sony back-illuminated CMOS image sensor ???

Does anyone know if these two cams use the "new" Sony back-illuminated CMOS image sensor Sony announced on June 11, 2008 Sony Global - Press Release - Sony develops back-illuminated CMOS image sensor, realizing high picture quality, ne
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:55 AM   #55
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Actually they do indeed produce progressive video. Final Cut Pro and other NLE applications use their standard 1080p24 and 1080p30 capture settings for Canon Frame mode...
Thanks for jumping that Chris, I was about to post the same thing. If anything it sounds like the FX1000 records 24p the way the hv20/30 does, no flags.
Old September 6th, 2008, 07:58 AM   #56
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott Tucker View Post
Does anyone know if these two cams use the "new" Sony back-illuminated CMOS image sensor Sony announced on June 11, 2008Sony Global - Press Release - Sony develops back-illuminated CMOS image sensor, realizing high picture quality, ne
I doubt it, I think it's the same paired down version of the EX1 sensor the Z7 uses. I think it's too soon for a back illuminated cam from when the info was released.

One think about sony's marketing is they will make sure you and everyone knows when they're shipping back illuminated cameras. They will yell it at us.
Old September 6th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #57
Regular Crew

Any idea what the lux rating will be on the FX1000/Z5?

Will it be just as good as the Z7 in low light?
Old September 6th, 2008, 10:18 AM   #58
Inner Circle

everybody seems to think that the new compact flash recorder is a good thing, but it is to forget that Sony offer since a long time the equivalent device with a hard disk.
the DR60 is a better value for your money , since it cost today 999$ (same price as the CF recorder) , got 60gig hardisk included (no CF card included with the other recorder).
both are accepting video from a firewire feed and are about the same size.
So except if your camera as a good fit with the CF flash recorder, the hard disk version is still a better solution.
Old September 6th, 2008, 10:22 AM   #59
Major Player

i might be wrong, but with the DR60, all the files had to be transcoded, with the CF
recorder, they do not. Or are they both drag and drop now? Hell, it thats the case,
a couple of DR60s is all one needs
Old September 6th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #60
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
i might be wrong, but with the DR60, all the files had to be transcoded, with the CF
recorder, they do not. Or are they both drag and drop now? Hell, it thats the case,
a couple of DR60s is all one needs
It all depends on your editing application.
If you used FCP, there was many problems (since FCP can edit m2t files) using Log and Transfer with the Sony Plugin for FCP. So when you transferred files, they all had to be transcoded.

But since ClipWrap arrived that isn't even necessary, as all yo hvae to do is drop your m2t files into ClipWrap, and they will be re-wrapped in a QT HDV wrapper. This is a huge timesaver, and negates the need to have to rely on the Sony plugin to function properly in FCP.

Now if you use other NLE's such as Premiere Pro, Vegas, Edius, Avid, it's as simple as drag and drop and edit.

I prefer the CF recorder, as I have the ability to swap out cards, and don't have to worry if my hard drive will get filled up during a long shoot. Also the CF recorder is much lighter than a hard drive recorder, plus no moving parts.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000