Sony Unveils HDR-FX1000 , HVR-Z5J - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Closed Thread

Old September 6th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #61
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott Tucker View Post
Does anyone know if these two cams use the "new" Sony back-illuminated CMOS image sensor Sony announced on June 11, 2008 Sony Global - Press Release - Sony develops back-illuminated CMOS image sensor, realizing high picture quality, ne
That press release talks of:
Quote:
......a back-illuminated CMOS image sensor (pixel size: 1.75µm square pixels, five effective mega pixels, 60 frames/s....
which tends to make me think that in HD terms, a 5 megapixel sensor is going to be a Bayer sensor, with approximately 3000 pixels horizontally. Makes sense, should give a good 1920x1080 final image, equating reasonably well to three 2 megapixel sensors. In that case, with 1.75um spacing, my maths would imply a sensor size of about 1/4".

I suspect that we'll initially see the technology in consumer, rather than prosumer cameras. It's almost hinted at later in that press release:
Quote:
Conventionally, consumer digital video camcorders and digital still cameras have been required to ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroud Francois
So except if your camera as a good fit with the CF flash recorder, the hard disk version is still a better solution.
Not necessarily. With the CF recorder, you can shoot, take the CF card out (give to someone else if necessary) put another card in and start shooting again. Maybe the first card might be kept as a backup for a week or two, then formatted for reuse. I also suspect the CF recorder may have a faster boot up time than a hard disk version.
Old September 6th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #62
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
i might be wrong, but with the DR60, all the files had to be transcoded
That depends on your edit platform, the utility released for the mrc1 works with the dr60. For example info fcp it just transcodes my footage to prores right away.

Quote:
Hell, it thats the case, a couple of DR60s is all one needs
There that's why people weren't as excited about the dr60. I don't think anyone likes moving parts and I definetly think people don't like a capacity limitation.

CF cards are cheap, buying a few isn't bad at all and new sizes are always coming out. In half a year or whatever when 64gb cards are readily available the dr60 will have nothing on the mrc1. You can't change the hard drive, or pass it to another shooter, or to an assitant for offloading.

The mrc1 frees you from those restrictions.

Edit: Damn I didn't see Michael's reply, he basically nailed it. One exception though the sony fcp plug is crazy quick for me, I don't fell like I'm waiting.
Old September 6th, 2008, 04:03 PM   #63
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Leung View Post
can't waiting for the HVR-MRC1K compact flash unit for my XH-A1.

HVR-MRC1K

Sony Product Detail Page - HVRMRC1
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:02 PM   #64
Major Player

Quote:
man, i know he wants to sell me a camera :-). I still want one, but I don't want to
give up CCDs. How will the recorder work? will it require a firewire cable on older
cameras? I wish someone had some closeup pictures of the connectors.
Scott it will work with the older cams I have tried it with an FX1 and a canon V30 Its the same unit thats on the Z7. From a design point and cost point they would not make two different units. The unit has two parts the unit itself and a base which has the firewire connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Sony Unveils HDR-FX1000 , HVR-Z5J-m1.jpg   Sony Unveils HDR-FX1000 , HVR-Z5J-m2.jpg  

Sony Unveils HDR-FX1000 , HVR-Z5J-m3.jpg  

Last edited by Brian Rhodes; September 6th, 2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old September 7th, 2008, 04:40 AM   #65
Major Player

NICE! seeing you have it on an EX1, hell, I might just go for one of those
and then add this baby to it. sheesh, this business is a money pit :-)
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #66
Major Player

I have the Z7 with the memory card recorder and would like to use it with another camera. What is the best way to physically attach it to another camera?
Old September 7th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #67
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Dyle View Post
I have the Z7 with the memory card recorder and would like to use it with another camera. What is the best way to physically attach it to another camera?
I would use the shoe mount on the Cam. I am using my dr60 hard drive shoe mount.

here is one that may work see link.

Ikan | SM101 Camera Shoe Mount | SM101 | B&H Photo Video

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...r-xdcamcf1.jpg
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...r-xdcamcf2.jpg
Old September 7th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #68
Major Player

Guys, thanks for all the info! Scott, nice to see you here bro! One question and it may have been posted already, but how is the battery life on that with a standard battery???
Old September 7th, 2008, 03:24 PM   #69
Major Player

Thanks! i have to have a new place to hang out when I spend money, BUT, i think
I am going EX1.
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:51 PM   #70
Major Player

Quote:
NICE! seeing you have it on an EX1, hell, I might just go for one of those
and then add this baby to it. sheesh, this business is a money pit :-)
If you do remember it can only work with the ex1's SQ modes, not HQ mode, for that you need the EX1 hard drive unit.
Old September 8th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #71
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroud Francois View Post
...except if your camera as a good fit with the CF flash recorder, the hard disk version is still a better solution.
There are more exceptions. The CF recorder+media is less expensive, if you need to be able to record more than 60GB without offloading to another device, like perhaps for a weekend camping trip for example. If you need the reliability of solid state recording, the CF recorder is a better solution, like perhaps for shooting from a moving vehicle on rough roads for example.
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #72
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
There are more exceptions. The CF recorder+media is less expensive, if you need to be able to record more than 60GB without offloading to another device, like perhaps for a weekend camping trip for example. If you need the reliability of solid state recording, the CF recorder is a better solution, like perhaps for shooting from a moving vehicle on rough roads for example.
And Do not forget the cheaper Lexar 8gb SSD cards will work in sp mode on the EX1...
I am Thinking about purchasing the Z5 as a third cam. I am sure the price will be at least $600 or more in the US lower than Sony retail.
Old September 10th, 2008, 06:58 AM   #73
Obstreperous Rex

Here's an FX1000 article at B&H:

SONY'S HDR-FX1000 BREAKS THE MOLD | B&H Photo Video Pro Audio

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:30 AM   #74
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Not much there that wasn't already shared.
But I did find it interesting that Sony is going to re-introduce the FX7 at $1,999.

Maybe the announcement and release of the FX1000 was the real reason that Sony took the FX7 off of the market.

All in all the FX1000 looks to be a great camera, but not enough for me to upgrade all of my FX1's to FX1000's. But possibly pickup a FX1000 to add to my FX1 lineup. Then if I like, swap out my FX1's for FX1000's. Then call it a day for purchasing cams for the next 5 years or so.
Old September 10th, 2008, 07:32 AM   #75
Wrangler

Ho, ho, ho, the FX-1000 is going to fly off the shelves this Christmas! Low-light HDV + progressive shooting modes at US$1,999! This looks like Sony's full-on "real" replacement for the venerable old VX-xxxx series! That's exciting.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000