FX1000 has arrived - first impressions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 20th, 2008, 04:31 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.C. Luke View Post
Hi Jamie

You can read a bit more on this info CMOS Rolling Shutter hope you have understand more about CMOS Chip

Thanks KC.

That article freaked me out a bit! I use a 'figrig' alot in my work with my fx1. In reading that article, would this no longer be possible if I bought the FX1000 due to the 'skewing' and 'wobble' associated with the CMOS technology. It certainly made it sound like any hand held use is or non static shooting is potentially going to cause some distortion of the picture. That dampened my enthusiasm a bit!!

I look forward to hearing Jeffs thought after shooting his wedding job on Saturday.

Thanks for the link (I think!)

Cheers

Jamie
Jamie Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 04:37 PM   #17
Trustee

I've been using both the FX7 and HV20 for a little over a year now and the skew & wobble seems to vary from camera to camera. The more expensive FX7 has less of a problem with it than the HV20. You can hand hold either camera without having these problems, it's usually very radical movements such as whip pans and extreme shaking of the camera that will give you trouble and how often are you going to use terrible shaking shots anyway?

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 04:55 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
You can hand hold either camera without having these problems, it's usually very radical movements such as whip pans and extreme shaking of the camera that will give you trouble and how often are you going to use terrible shaking shots anyway?

Thanks Ethan, thats reassuring.

I would like to say I have never had to use terrible shaking shots in my work but ummmm, there may be one or two that have shown up due to lack of other options!! My skills are still a work in progress!!

Jamie
Old November 20th, 2008, 06:22 PM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

I am so far out of it that I didn't even realize that this camera was shipping... time to fire up a new board...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 08:06 PM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
I am so far out of it that I didn't even realize that this camera was shipping... time to fire up a new board...
If Sony doesn't stop releasing cameras so often you're gonna double the number of sub forums in less than a year.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #21
New Boot

Ok, looking at the images they are soft as you say, so I will wait for a better image.

I did notice that the sharpness of the lens seems to be consistant to the edges. Which is good since that is one area I was hoping to improve over my A1.

Again, it is hard to tell from the downconvert and soft image, but I don't see any real CA at the edges to talk about so that is a plus.

Now, lets see how sharp it can really be!

Thanks for the first images. I know it's a pain to stop what you are doing to post these things.

Paul
Paul Therrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #22
Inner Circle

No Paul, posting is no trouble...it is the finding something worth shooting. Obviously when shooting my bride getting ready and the church, etc., I will come up with some decent stuff to show.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 09:48 PM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
If Sony doesn't stop releasing cameras so often you're gonna double the number of sub forums in less than a year.
Ain't that the truth... between their HDV and XDCAM lines, all the Sony boards here will outnumber our Canon, JVC and Panasonic boards put together. I can't really double them up, either... the HD1000 needs to be on its own, and even though the FX1000 / Z5 are really replacements for the FX1 / Z1, they'll need to be kept separate because they work differently. Keeping all this stuff organized is a constant struggle.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 03:56 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Stills from FX1000 shot November 22, 2008

Still shots taken from video clips shot with FX1000 on auto settings.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/album.php?albumid=37
Old November 23rd, 2008, 04:27 AM   #25
Inner Circle

for me it looks darn good, but definitely soft
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 04:28 AM   #26
Major Player

Those shots look very nice indeed particularly if they are 'still' frames from some footage.

How did handling the fx1000 compare to your previous camcorder (was that an FX1?) Did you notice much difference?

Cheers

jamie
Old November 23rd, 2008, 08:09 AM   #27
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Still shots taken from video clips shot with FX1000 on auto settings.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/album.php?albumid=37

So these are very soft. I remember my few days with the Z7 I had to bump up the sharpness a bit. Sony's default sharpness is a little low, most likely to further soften the noise in the image.

Does the FX1000 setting allow for the sharpness correction?

As an example of what I am trying to match or beat...

I did a frame grab from the timeline and scaled it to 800x600. You will see 2 images. One says WITH sharpness and one just says Image v2. The one without sharpness is a 1440x1080 image scaled to 800x600 and uploaded, the one with sharpness is the same image but corrected to try and mimic what I see on my HD monitor and timeline. I think the timeline is still a little sharper, but it is close.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/members/p...ame-grabs.html

It has to beat my A1 so I am trying to determine if a setting change can close the gap, or will I have to move up to the EX1 and just be done with it.

Thanks again for posting!

Last edited by Paul Therrien; November 23rd, 2008 at 08:59 AM.
Paul Therrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2008, 11:45 AM   #28
Inner Circle

I must admit these images are a bit softer than I had expected or hoped for. On the other hand they are not quite as soft as the stills suggest. Unfortunately they will be soft in DV after downconverted.

Remember that it was nearly dark when these where shot and there was no lighting from my camera or otherwise.

Frustrating thing yesterday lighting everywhere was "soft". In the house all indirect lighting, no lights allowed. The church lights were all aimed straight down and created extremely harsh shadows on faces, absolutely terrible.

Anyway, I was slightly disappointed in low-light with the camera, but keep in mind I ran auto except for white balance all evening. No doubt the picture could have been tweaked. It was much too fast paced and rushed the entire day for me to play with anything and risk ruining a shot.

The FX1000 is close to the PD170 in low light, but I will know more after I look at some comparison footage later.

Overall, I am disappointed, but not so much that I will not keep the camera. If I could have afforded the EX1, that is what I would have gotten.

For the money and for what I do, I am, overall, satisfied with the camera so far. It is a huge step up for me.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 01:21 PM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroud Francois View Post
for me it looks darn good, but definitely soft
Soft ?? From the description, these were shot at dusk, on an overcast day, and these are grabs from an HDV frame of video.....You would expect that the image would exhibit some degree of diffused image...
Old November 23rd, 2008, 02:51 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Chris, you are correct in your assesment. Shot in dim conditions, still grabs, etc.

On the other hand, I find it simpler to downplay the quality rather than defend. I was disapponted, as I said, but my disappoinment was really based upon the circumstances I was dealt more than the quality of the camera. I wanted pristine, well-lit conditions and got the opposite for the entire day.

I knew that the images would be judged as soft, beause they do appear soft. Considering the lack of lighting, they were fine.

I gotta tell you the viewfinder on that camera is unbelievable. It is a pure joy to work with. It is as close to WYSIWYG as I could imagine it could be.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000