FX1000 has arrived - first impressions - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old November 25th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #61
Inner Circle

Ron, I looked for it in the menu, didn't see it listed. I wish I knew what it was...maybe under a different name?

Someone throw me a bone here, what is black stretch?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #62
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I disagree. Brooke and Jeff's video looks fantastic to me.

He was using a light most all of the time, clearly, but still, the colors are excellent and the contrast was very good. It can be picked apart, etc., but all in all that is close to stunning footage.
Yes i said it looks good but would not go to the fantastic stage watching on a pc monitor from vimeo,sr 12 and fx7 film exported and played on my pc look good as well also on my large plasma,the fx1000 does look like a great machine but i did say why its sadly probobly not for me.Who knows things might change in the future.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:34 PM   #63
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Ron, I looked for it in the menu, didn't see it listed. I wish I knew what it was...maybe under a different name?

Someone throw me a bone here, what is black stretch?
Page 39 of your manual. You set it in a picture profile, and you can stretch (add more gradations) or compress (crush all dark tones to black). First time this appears in a non-pro cam for Sony. "Knee" does the same or similar for highlights, and this is on the FX1000 as well. Also detailed on page 39.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 01:08 PM   #64
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
Page 39 of your manual. You set it in a picture profile, and you can stretch (add more gradations) or compress (crush all dark tones to black). First time this appears in a non-pro cam for Sony. "Knee" does the same or similar for highlights, and this is on the FX1000 as well. Also detailed on page 39.
You got there before me Adam. The value for me in theatre and I am sure for wedding guys, is that with stretch on the blacks/shadows( lowest levels) have more detail, and with knee set lower the whites don't overload. Something that consumer/prosumer cams have just not had compared to the true broadcast equipment. The new Panasonic HMC150 has this too to appeal to the event users. My SR11 seems to do a better job of this than the FX1 giving the impression of more latitude.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #65
Major Player

which XLR adapter would you recommend for FX1000;
is there any device allowing to connect HVRMRC1K to fx1000???
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 08:33 PM   #66
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Boruch View Post
This is what I use with my FX1 XLR Adapter XLR Pro Audio Adapter The XLR-BP XLR Audio Adapters For Camcorders XLR Adapter. As far as the HVRMRC1K I think an iLink cable is all you will need to connect to any DV or HDV camcorder.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #67
Major Player

Quote:

These have been recommended for their low noise capabilities.

Camcorder XLR Audio Adapter/Preamp: Buy Direct and Save
Tim Akin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 08:35 AM   #68
Trustee

I second, third, and fourth the Juicedlink boxes.
They are by far the quietest and best performing of the XLR adapters out there.
Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:17 PM   #69
Major Player

The only thing I need to know before I order the camera is LOW LIGHT compare to lets say VX2100; can somebody post some stills from these two, please?
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:35 PM   #70
New Boot

I'm told that it is way better than the vx 2100 in any way plus you have tha option of recording in different formats!
Juan Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 03:55 PM   #71
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Hernandez View Post
I'm told that it is way better than the vx 2100 in any way plus you have tha option of recording in different formats!
First I have to see this before I believe it, I have owned a vx2100 so if the person that told this to you can provide some comparing shots?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:29 PM   #72
Regular Crew

Quote:
The only thing I need to know before I order the camera is LOW LIGHT compare to lets say VX2100; can somebody post some stills from these two, please?
I too am currently using a VX2100 and my main point of interest is the autofocus ability of the FX1000. I shoot a lot of figure skating competitions and ice shows and the VX2100 AF is great for tracking the skaters among busy backgrounds. I've even used the VX2100 through the glass for hockey and it did great. It also handles the cold temperatures found in skating rinks.

I'm really hoping the FX1000 at least equals the VX2100 in these areas as I would really like to get one.
John Gayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:32 AM   #73
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Hernandez View Post

Please read post #38 in this thread. My experience from shooting with the two side by side is the FX1000 is NOT better than the VX2100 in low light. The FX1000 is very good in low light but not AS good. I do not regret the purchase, because I believe for the money I got a lot of camera. Got my money's worth for sure.

I had said in a previous post that the FX1000 is way better, I was mistaken. I was wrong.

I wanted something better in low light than the FX1, and I certainly got it. It produces great images. I believe stunning images are possible in the right hands.

I say that if you watch the Vimeo video posted of Brooke that demo says more about the cam than words can.

In the dark it still looks dark, and it does not perform miracles. My expectations were completely unreasonable while waiting for the cam, but I emphasize I am very happy with the FX1000 anyway.

I still hate the menu scroll wheel, and still have lot to learn about the cam. I've only run it for one wedding and then I put it away and still haven't taken the time to learn it properly, but I know that when I get familiar with it it will be fantastic. I am still bogged down with editing but come January I will be shooting with it lots to learn it better.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; December 4th, 2008 at 07:07 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 04:21 AM   #74
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
First I have to see this before I believe it, I have owned a vx2100 so if the person that told this to you can provide some comparing shots?
I have that VX2100 as well more than many years and still strong.

Just take note on VX2100 user. VX2100 HAD CCD chip set. FX1000 CMOS CCD chip set. For those like to take events with flashing camera alround, than it may not good to buy.
Old December 4th, 2008, 04:42 AM   #75
Inner Circle

John, the auto focus is stonger on the VX2100 than the FX1000. In fact the auto-focus is downright frustrating at times on this cam. If you don't need widescreen and /or hi-definition footage you will be disappointed. If you do need widescreen or HD it is a great option if you can't afford an EX1 or some other more expensive cam.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000