DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   Z5u to ship on the 20th (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/139463-z5u-ship-20th.html)

Jeff Harper November 12th, 2008 03:08 PM

FX1000 shipping at end of month

For those interested, B and H informed me today the FX1000 will be shipping at the end of November. Sony told me the same thing the other day.

Edit: Just saw that Amazon says will be released Nov 22. This is the first concrete date I've seen anywhere since the Nov 5 date was removed from all websites a few weeks ago.

Jeff Harper November 14th, 2008 04:01 PM

Shipped today!

Notified by b&h my FX1000 shipped today! I am shocked and delighted!

Jamie Roberts November 17th, 2008 04:11 AM

This is a bit exciting! I wasnt aware that Sony were bringing this camcorder out. I have a FX1. I have had a quick look at a overview of the FX1000 and it sounds like it has a few improvements. Im presuming they are making a PAL version. It would be nice to have the progressive scan. Not sure about the 'still photo' capabilities though. I guess it's not impacting on the camcorders HDV capabilities so cant hurt!

Has the FX1000 got better wide angle/close up capabilities?

I hope you share your thoughts on the camcorder when you have had a play with it!

Cheers

Jamie

Sean Seah November 18th, 2008 07:58 PM

Yes they will be producing a PAL version of cse! I'm most interested to find out if the CF card module can work. although it can be mounted there are no internal wiring so a Firewire must be connected. Another question would be the power supply for the CF writer. I'm so excited!

Ralph Bowman December 11th, 2008 11:06 PM

Z5u to ship on the 20th

B and H told me that they will be shipping my Z5U on the 20th of December. Looking forward to receving it.

Ralph Bowman

Hugh Mobley December 13th, 2008 06:29 AM

The Z5 is some camera, saw long demo at Expo at Sony booth. I believe it may replace the V1, and put the new digital recorder on it, the only issue is the Z7 comes with it and price is same, the 20x lens is the thing, I want that 20x lens, like I have on V1. The images it produces are perfect

James Larkey December 13th, 2008 04:22 PM

I have an FX7 and I understand many of the benefits of the Z5/Z7 in low light but I primarily use my FX7 outdoors in sunlight with nice results.
Should I experience a noticeable increase in picture quality under same lighting if I decide to go with Z5/Z7.
Watching the Vimeo clips of the Z7, picture seems to be better but not sure if I just "want" it to be better to justify a purchase.

Also, If I do decide to upgrade, what is the difference of the FX1000 shooting 24/30P but recording to tape as 60i where the Z5/Z7 record directly to tape as progressive.

While a technical explanation would be nice, I would like to know if one method produces a better image than the other etc..

And does the Z5/Z7 require you to record to tape while recording to CF card or can you record solely to the card without tape inserted.

Thank you in advance.

James

Jeff Harper December 22nd, 2008 05:36 PM

I'd suggest if you are happy with your images don't spend money on a new cam. If you're not having problems I wouldn't mess with it. If you're doing this for a living, you should probably consider, but even then, if what you have is working why bother?

24p vs 60i? I've seen a demo shot with the 24p feature and it was nice.

I've played with this feature but not recorded with it yet. I look forward to shooting a wedding with two of these cams in 24p mode January. I need to learn more about what it entails before I attempt it though.

To me I am always surprised that there is a question regarding differences between 1/4" sensors and 1/3".

It is similar to wondering what the difference is between 1/3" and 1/2" chips. There simply is no comparison.

That's why I say if you're already happy, I'm not so sure the expense is justified.

William Ellwood December 22nd, 2008 06:20 PM

To me, one of these cams is certainly the way forward in my quest of creating entertaining and quality movies. I work mainly for the fun of being creative, but want eye-candy that standard-def just can't give in the company of HDV.

I am waiting to upgrade from a standard def, and native 4:3 format VX2100. Either of these models seem to be a great upgrade. Of course I'll be looking to hear from users more experienced than me to highlight the pros and cons of going for a FX1000 or Z5.

A friend with a Z7 records only in interlaced mode, though to clear the horizontal lines he exports in progressive mode, so the choices of progressive mode options on the cameras would seem irrelevant to some.

And I like the idea of the new audio-limiting feature, meaning the likes of 600 watt marshall amps going off in the background (at the pub he films) don't screw the sound levels, thanks to their impressve sound level compensating electronics. Does the Fx1000 have this audio recording setting anyone?

These two also have the ability of recording at 200 frames a sec for 3 second bursts. In a high photo-flash environment, would this feature of recording 3 seconds at that speed, help compensate for the rolling-shutter grabbing only a section of the flashes images?

Fx1000 or Z5 - when they available over here in the UK, seem a great upgrade. But which one? Please respond peeps...

Robin Burrows December 23rd, 2008 09:13 AM

Recording to various media, Z5 and benefits

You can record to CF and Tape, CF only or Tape only on th eZ7. The Z5 is billed to be the same.

The FX7 will be worse in low light using a 1.4" sensor and may be worse at rolling shutter artifacts.

I have not tried one as it is a compromise Im not willing to take and for SD my PDX10s do very well even though they have almost 1/5th " sensors

The FX7 will have less control over depth of field and the dynamic range is not so good.

It is however a very good camera.

The Z5 is billed to replace the Z1 and much closer to PD170 performance but not much.

Talking to Sony its taken a lot of firmware tweaking since releasing the Z7 to improve it to what it is today and will only shine properly when used manually as with the Z7.

I bought my Z5 new with MRC1K for £3800 and the Z7 was £4400 I think this is a big saving!
Sony are increasing the prices next week though.
Robin

Robin Burrows December 23rd, 2008 09:16 AM

Which one?

If you have the money and are interested in using it properly or for money get a Z5 every time. Its flexible and the audio option no comparison. Especially with a sennheisser me66 k6 or 416.

The silver support for 2 years is well worth it almost being like insurance.

There are a few extra features but if you want to play at home get the FX1000 and if you want better audio get an XLR box later in life once you have learned to use th ecamera better BUT... It will add weight and make the camera bigger.
Robin

Sean Seah December 23rd, 2008 09:49 AM

Has anyone taken delivery yet?

William Ellwood December 23rd, 2008 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Burrows (Post 982849)
I bought my Z5 new with MRC1K for £3800 and the Z7 was £4400 I think this is a big saving!
Sony are increasing the prices next week though.
Robin

Are you certain that the prices will really go up? And can you pm me or tell me where you ordered yours?

thanks and Merry Christmas to all on this board.
Billy

Tim Akin December 23rd, 2008 11:37 AM

James, I can't say what the difference is between Z5/Z7 and the FX1000 as far as the way they record 24p, but I have been playing around with 24p and 30p on the 1000 and 24p is way to strobie. I use Vegas 8 which seems to handle 24p and pulldown pretty well. Not sure how well Vegas handles "HDV 24p" which is what I've been shooting. 30p is better, (doesn't seem to handle vertical or horizonal lines real well), but Vegas doesn't have a preset for it and I'm not sure how DVD players handle 30p. I would like to use progressive for our next wedding (this Saturday) but I'm not sure, may just stay with 60i and deinterlace in post.

Robin Burrows December 23rd, 2008 01:18 PM

Z5 order

I ordered mine from H Preston in the UK. They are not as flashy as the likes of creative video etc but are friendly very supportive, easy to get to and will do what they can to help.

After dealing with both Id do H Preston any time given all the pluses and minuses. Plus I live round the corner!

They do lots of deals and can and will work out a cheaper price if they can for you. Just ask. sometime sif they are busy they can be a bit stressed but they deal with big kit with big people and have a lot on their plate.

The price increase will be either from the end of this week or sometime next week as far as I can gather.

Sony prices on line on Prestons site are not minus VAT but they do take that into account.
They have no MRC1Ks in any more but have 12 cameras left last time I checked.

Give em a ring and ask.
Robin