HVR Z5 exceptional ignore the rolling shutter malarky - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 18th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #61
Trustee

Quote:
I met up with a Norwegian film crew filming football for TV2 last week and they dont use HD at all in Norway but were filming everything on XDCAM EX1 or PDW series XDCAM shoulder cams. Funny if its only meant for SD. Its a lot more time and hassle than is needed.
It depends on what they are filming. HD is useful for archive and future use, and it can also make much better downconverts to SD than a native DVCAM camera, even a shoulder mount. I had to intercut a couple of shots taken with my 510 with an EX, and the results were very, very noticeable even on the final SD DVD. The 510 is a really, really good camcorder too. If that thing was HD it would be perfect. I love the pictures that the EX produces, but I actually enjoy *using* the 510, which I don't with the EX cameras because they are so much more finicky and plasticky.

It also depends who they might sell the footage to as well. I'm sure they have their reasons.

Quote:
I wouldnt mind meeting up and having a chat about stuff its always good to make contacts and discuss.
If you email me I can give you my phone number and we'll sort something out. It's always good to meet other people i the same field, especially if they are on my doorstep! :-)
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #62
Archivist for SMECC

pan crop and hd! shoot wide then crop it in!

Think of it this way..... you can shoot wide with hd or hdv then use the pan crop tool in Vegas ( or whichever editor of choice) and just pull out what you want!

Similar in thought of shooting wide at action sports with a really high megga pix still camera camera and great lens and cropping out what you want..

I bring the hdv into Vegas and then crop away

if it is just a record shot movie I down convert it before edit it but still... have that higher res tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wyndham View Post
It depends on what they are filming. HD is useful for archive and future use, and it can also make much better downconverts to SD than a native DVCAM camera, even a shoulder mount. I had to intercut a couple of shots taken with my 510 with an EX, and the results were very, very noticeable even on the final SD DVD. The 510 is a really, really good camcorder too. If that thing was HD it would be perfect. I love the pictures that the EX produces, but I actually enjoy *using* the 510, which I don't with the EX cameras because they are so much more finicky and plasticky.

It also depends who they might sell the footage to as well. I'm sure they have their reasons.

If you email me I can give you my phone number and we'll sort something out. It's always good to meet other people i the same field, especially if they are on my doorstep! :-)

See The Communications and Computation Museum at:
Museum Website

See The Glendale Arizona Videosphere - KKAT-TV At:
Glendale Daily Planet KKAT-TV CouryGraph Productions

Click For Red Camera In Action
Ed Sharpe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000