Looking for advice, please read. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 14th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #16
New Boot

Jeff & Tom,
I'm a with you on all this; just a little slow!
In one of my 3 camera wedding productions we used a TRV900, AG-DVX100 & HVR-Z1. I admit, getting all three to match was a challenge but in the end no one could tell any difference in PQ in terms of color & brightness from 3 drastically different cameras. Vegas can preform miracles!
I'm looking for major differences & it doesn't sound like there's major differences; only slight. This make my decision all the simpler.
Thanks!
George
George A. Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:39 AM   #17
Regular Crew

CF unit - How good is it?

Think I asked this question the other day but I can't find where I posted it.

Anyone out there using the CF unit with the FX1000?

I am keen to know how well it works and just how quick it is to transfer from flash card> computer and start editing.(I use Edius 5)

This is huge for me as I am just over tape and its time consuming ways.

I am about to produce a low funded panel based Aussie Rules football show where I will film a 2 hour game and then need to go back through the game and get out about 10 minutes highlights of goals etc.

Typical game is 4X30 minute quarters so I am thinking of using 4X cards dedicated to each qtr.

Q. How long would 30 minutes take to download to a computer via a flash card.
Q. How does the CF unit fit onto the FX1000 and is it portable?
Q. Is it reliable as I assume it works via firewire?
Q. What are the files that it creates to the flash media?
Q. How much is it and the 16 or 32 flash cards?
Martin Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #18
Major Player

Hello Martin. I have a Z7 with a MRC1 and I can answer some of your questions. I don't know how these prices would relate in Australia but B & H sells the compact flash unit for $885 USD. If your games are 4 - 30 minute segments an 8 gig card will record for about 36 minutes. But if it is anything like American football games, 30 minutes of play will last a whole lot more than 30 minutes and you might need 16 gig cards for each quarter, which will record for 72 minutes. I found some Transcend 16 gig - 300x cards for $150.00. With the kit, you get some mounting device to mount the MRC1 on the hot shoe of your camcorder and it would connect through the firewire port.

As for downloading. I use PP CS3 on a PC, quad core with 1TB hard drive just for video. I pull the card from the camera and put it in the media slot. I then copy the files to the video drive. That is a pretty quick process but to be honest I have not timed it yet. Then I open PP and import the files. After they are imported, PP then indexes and conforms the files. Import is practically instantaneous, but indexing and conforming takes a little time. As soon as the first file has been indexed and conformed, that file is ready and you could start working then, if you wanted to. And let the others process. My guess is that you could start working within 10 or 15 minutes on 30 minutes of video. But like I said, I haven't really timed it, but it seems really quick. I usually let everything finish before I will start working on any of it.

Martin, I hope this helps. So far, I am really enjoying the MRC1. Being a died in the wool tape guy, I didn't know if I would use it a lot but I am pretty happy with it and I can see my tape purchases really dropping.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #19
Regular Crew

CF unit

Thanks Greg on the info re CF unit it certainly sounds the way to go. I am so over tapes!

What about reliability? Tapes can get drop outs and head clog what about issues with the Flash cards?

Gee I would think anyone who films alot like I do then this would be a must.

In Nov/Dec I film around 10 dance concerts dual camera and so you are looking at anywhere from 3> 5 hours per camera.

Do 2 concerts a weekend and that is upwards of 20 hours down load.

Did you consider the hard drive option that also mounts on top of the camera? I take along a lap top at the minute but it means more gear and starting up windows and Edius etc etc....

Then there is audio to think about, the headset system we use, tripod position, is my B cameraman off the pot ....etc etc.

Hard business this video caper. Anything that saves time is a must do!!!!!!
Martin Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Martin , you may want to look at the Edirol F1 as these can be synced together for multicam, record two extra channels of audio( from mixing board etc) and use removable hard drives with NTFS files so no FAT32 file limit and direct use for editing. I don't have any personal experience and they are not cheap either. You could simultaneously record to tape for archive just like you would do for the flash unit.
F-1 Video Field Recorder

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #21
Major Player

I have not had this system long enough to say anything about it's reliability. But I have been using CF cards with my still cameras for several years and I have never had a single issue. For a while there, I was taking 3000+ photos per day, so they were getting tested somewhat.
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:16 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Martin,

This place has the best price for the HVR-MRC1K. I searched all over the internet and this was the absolute best price as of January 15.

Sony HVRMRC1K Memory Recording Unit | Full Compass

They are also a very reliable and honest company. I have done business with them before.
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #23
Regular Crew

You can see the instruction manual here

http://www.fullcompass.com/common/fi...20HVRMRC1K.pdf
Old January 17th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #24
Trustee

Adam, how reputable is this place for purchasing the Z5U?
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Full Compass is very reputable. It is very odd to me they have such a low price, they used to have higher prices for everything.

They are a brick and mortar store that has gradually built up their online operations over the years.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #26
Trustee

I just have one question about this HVR-MRC1K recording unit. Do they come in PAL and NTSC versions or versions do not matter?

"Edit" In other words can this unit work on a PAL and an NTSC camera?

Stelios

Last edited by Stelios Christofides; January 18th, 2009 at 10:10 AM.
Stelios Christofides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 04:45 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Ken,

Full Compass is very reputable. I didn't buy a Z5U from them so I can't speak about that directly.

But what I did buy in the past from them, they were very reputable, thorough and security conscious. I would definitely recommend them.

Stelios, I don't know. You might ask Sony about that. I would think it would depend on the video camera itself and not the HVR-MRC1K.
Old January 18th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #28
Major Player

I agree with Adam. I would doubt that there is a PAL or NTSC version. I think it just records whatever is coming out of your firewire connection.
Old January 18th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #29
Trustee

Thanks Adam & Jeff. I have to call them on Monday to see what their prices on since they don't quote the Z5 price in their add. I'm betting they won't be lower than B&H though.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #30
Trustee

Anyone hear of this place?

Sony HVR-Z5U HDV 1080p/24p Camcorder HVRZ5U
Ken Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000