Looking for advice, please read. - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 18th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Yes. Check their ratings on the web. Probably the worst-reviewed reseller in history. Stick with B&H.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #32
Trustee

Thanks Adam. I'm trying to find who I can buy these units from that are out of town so that I can avoid the big tax hit. B&H is in my local area.

One reseller is Calumet Photo that seems to have a good rating.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Thanks Adam. I'm trying to find who I can buy these units from that are out of town so that I can avoid the big tax hit. B&H is in my local area.

One reseller is Calumet Photo that seems to have a good rating.
Go with Full Compass, as was said. They are very reliable and great to work with.
Old January 18th, 2009, 05:17 PM   #34
Trustee

I just need to see what their price is. Calumet at least has the same price as B&H.
Old January 18th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #35
Inner Circle

I don't trust any place that won't list their price online and makes you call them. What are they hiding?
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #36
Trustee

Yeah Adam, I agree. But I'll let you know what I found out tomorrow. If it didn't have a good reseller rating, I'd stop here.
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #37
Inner Circle

If you are talking about Full Compass they do not list all of their prices online. They cannot compete strictly on price all of the time, and they try to sell you on the service aspect of their business by encouraging people to call for prices. While I'm not sure if that is who you are referring to Adam, Full Compass is very reputable and is an authorized dealer for for all of the products they sell.

Companies that compete on aspects other than price do the same. In my case they are not companies that I can usually afford to deal with. When you make initial contact with Full Compass you are assigned an account manager. When you do business with them it is their intention to develop a relationship with you.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 07:07 PM   #38
Inner Circle

This may all be true, and even if it isn't I'm sure they want you to believe it is. But I've never viewed B&H as competing on price; their prices are rarely the lowest but I buy exclusively from them because I know I will get what I ordered, at the price I ordered, quickly and with a minimum of fuss. I don't need an "account manager" to quote me a price or take my order, and making me call them up just to get a quote is creating more work for me, not less. I don't need to build a relationship with the guy who's going to slap a shipping sticker on the box he's putting on the UPS truck.

Besides, the place to get unbiased info and friendly advice is right here, no? You certainly aren't going to make big financial decisions based on the advice from someone who has something to gain directly from the money you spend and whose compensation structure is unknown to you.

I know it sounds like I am shilling for B&H but honestly I have no dog in this fight. But the Internet is rife with tales of how people get sucked into buying useless overpriced accessories on the phone or, worse, get abused and hassled if suddenly they don't buy the "upgraded" version of what they want.

If a retailer can't take the time or doesn't care to give me all the info I need online, I just move on.
Old January 18th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #39
Inner Circle

Having an account at Full Compass myself, I can assure they do not pressure or bait and switch, which is what you are referring to.

They have been in business as long as B&H and have a sterling reputation.

It should not be insinuated that a company has something to hide simply because you do not understand how they operate.

If you have not dealt with them or have even second-hand knowledge of dealings with them don't bad mouth them or imply negatives in a public forum.

Companies and individuals spend years building their reputations, and it dumbfounds me how quickly people will judge or throw stuff out in a public forum without having firsthand knowledge of what they speak.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Ken,

I wouldn't deal with them (Zoomania).

Check this out

Zoommania - store.yahoo.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

That web-site Store Ratings and Reviews by Real People - Trusted Online Shopping can tell you a lot about companies.

Calumet is very good. Full Compass is very good. I think Full Compass is a little higher on the price of the Z5U.

Also Adorama Camera has a good price and I have bought many things from them in the past. However, they are in your area.

Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera

Also buydig.com but I never dealt with them. They have a decent rating on Reseller Ratings

BuyDig.Com - buydig.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

BuyDig.com,The Internet's Digital Superstore

Another option you can do is have it shipped to somebody in a neighboring state and then have it shipped to you. That way you would avoid paying tax on a $4000 video camera.

Also check this

hvr-z5u - Google Product Search
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #41
Trustee

Adam, thanks much! That's very useful info and I do appreciate it. I've never heard of some of these guys. I've bought a lot of stuff from B&H, but when it comes to a $4,000 cam, you'd like to save on the tax.
Old January 19th, 2009, 12:18 AM   #42
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Adam, thanks much! That's very useful info and I do appreciate it. I've never heard of some of these guys. I've bought a lot of stuff from B&H, but when it comes to a $4,000 cam, you'd like to save on the tax.
Ship it to me :-) I live 15 min away from B&H but in NJ. Then come over same day and pick it up. Hit me up with PM and I'll help you out.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 01:42 AM   #43
Regular Crew

That's a great idea.
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #44
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
It should not be insinuated that a company has something to hide simply because you do not understand how they operate.

If you have not dealt with them or have even second-hand knowledge of dealings with them don't bad mouth them or imply negatives in a public forum.
Jeez, Jeff, chill. No one attacked you or your preferred vendor. I was just speaking generally. And you shouldn't assume someone doesn't "understand" something just because they follow a different buying paradigm.

For the record, I meant no disrespect to Full Compass or anyone who chooses to buy there. I was just sharing why it wasn't right for me.
Old January 19th, 2009, 01:48 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Ken,

Here's another 2 pages with a lot of good info on prices, reviews and blogs.

hvr-z5u shopping

and hvr-z5u reviews & articles
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000