Looking for advice, please read. - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 20th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #61
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Spektor View Post
Actually, Z7 at B&H is now $4 cheaper than Z5 + MRC1 ($4,879.95 vs. $4,099 + $884.95)...
Practically, the same price... Still cannot make my choice between them...

Things I am considering most - Z7's faster lens (approx. 1/2 stop @12x zoom), though Z5's is a bit wider: 29.5 mm vs. 32mm, and longer: 20x vs. 12x, and the placement of the cold shoe, where my light is placed - too close to the screen to open/close... Interchangeable lens for the same price is a bonus - I don't think I need it, neither can afford another one, but you never know...

Also, can anyone compare auto-focus on Z5 and Z7?
One thing to remember is that with the Z5 you cal also record on tape as well.

Stelios
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #62
Inner Circle

...as you can with the Z7...
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:07 PM   #63
Trustee

Adam I was under the impression that the Z7 records only on flash memory.

Stelios
Old January 21st, 2009, 03:30 PM   #64
Inner Circle

You might be thinking of the EX1/3. Anything with a "Z" in the front shoots to tape. Z7 does both tape and cards via the MRC1 unit, according to both Sony and B&H. Z5 is tape only.
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:29 PM   #65
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
You might be thinking of the EX1/3. Anything with a "Z" in the front shoots to tape. Z7 does both tape and cards via the MRC1 unit, according to both Sony and B&H. Z5 is tape only.
The z5 as it comes from the factory records to tape. The MRC1 unit does hook right on it and then the z5 can record to both (even simultaneously) as it looks to me. I do not own the unit myself, but have been looking at it from afar (somewhat longingly).
Mike Petrucco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:43 PM   #66
Regular Crew

Quote:
No. The Z5 is tape and MRC1
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:44 PM   #67
Inner Circle

Yes, sorry, I meant out of the box, as the Z5 doesn't come with the unit but the Z7 does. I think any cam with FW can record to the MRC1, although my understanding is that device control of the MRC may only be supported on certain models (although here I may be thinking of the HDD unit).

Edit: found it. From the Brochure for both the MRC1 and the DR60:

Versatile Recording Modes
Three recording modes can be selected to support
various camcorder models and operational needs.
SYNCHRO mode
When using camcorders that support external rec
control, such as the HVR-Z5U, HVR-V1U, HVR-Z1U,
DSR-450WS, DSR-400 and DSR-250, recording to the
HVR-MRC1 or HVR-DR60 is directly controlled by the
press of the camcorder’s rec start button.*3
*3 In this mode, a rec start delay of approximately 0.5 seconds
may occur after the camcorder rec start button is pressed.
FOLLOW mode
When using camcorders that do not support
external rec control, such as the HVR-A1U and
DSR-PD170, the FOLLOW mode can be used to start
and stop recording by the HVR-MRC1 or HVR-DR60.
In this mode, the HVR-MRC1 or HVR-DR60
periodically checks whether the camcorder is in rec
mode or not, and follows this status.*4
*4 In this mode, a rec start delay of up to 2 seconds may occur
after the camcorder rec start button is pressed.
Independent Recording
The HVR-MRC1 and HVR-DR60 can disregard the rec
trigger or recording status of the camcorder and
allow recording to be started and stopped using it’s
own control buttons. This allows control of the
HVR-DR60 independent of camcorder operations.*5
*5 In HDV mode, interruptions in time code and video may
appear in the recording when the camcorder rec control
buttons are pressed.

Here's a link to the whole brochure. The list above is on page 5.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/f...re_Final08.pdf

Last edited by Adam Gold; January 21st, 2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old January 21st, 2009, 04:49 PM   #68
Regular Crew

Quote:
Yes, sorry, I meant out of the box, as the Z5 doesn't come with the unit but the Z7 does. I think any cam with FW can record to the MRC1, although my understanding is that device control of the MRC may only be supported on certain models (although here I may be thinking of the HDD unit).
On the Z5 (don't know about the Z7, as I don't have one) there are several ways the camera can control the MRC1 - including RELAY, allowing you to continuously record for hours by recording to memory card whilst changing tapes (with overlap of course).
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:20 PM   #69
Major Player

If you change the tape while the camera runs doesn't that 'shake' the camera shot?. I don't have a Z5 but I would think changing tapes while recording would ruin a shot.
Old January 21st, 2009, 08:31 PM   #70
Major Player

The Z7 does external (MRC1), synchronous (MRC1 and tape at the same time) and relay recording. When relay recording is selected the tape records first. When the tape reaches 5 minutes remaining the camera automatically starts recording on the CF unit. If your tripod will not hold the camera steady, you will probably see movement. The manual tells you that you will hear the noise of the tape changing proceedure. I would assume the Z5 would copy this scheme.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:02 PM   #71
Major Player

Has anyone test shot a Z5 and an FX1000, according to the video on B&H, the only difference is the XLR inputs. At B&H the Fx1000 lists at $3199.99 and the Z5 lists at $4099.99 I find it hard to justify the price difference for XLR inputs when I already own an XLR adapter. Anyone know the answer here from experience or demo? Thanks!
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:18 PM   #72
Inner Circle

It is my understanding that the differences are XLR, shockless gain and WB changes and MRC1 clips directly to the camera rather than being connected by an iLink cable in the case of the FX1000. So it is a neater package if used with the MRC1 and if one needs the shockless features.
The basic units are otherwise the same so I see no reason the performance shouldn't be the same either. Run and gun users may find the Z5's features a plus over the FX1000 though. Even for my hobby the shockless gain would be a real advantage in some circumstances though connecting the MRC1 with a cable wouldn't really be such a handicap for me.
Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:26 PM   #73
Inner Circle

Additionally, the Z5 does native 24p while the FX1000 does 24p over 60i. And the firmware is different, so there are a bunch more menu settings in the Z5 (much like the Z1 vs. the FX1). Debatable whether they are worth the price difference. Really an individual choice.

Lots of discussion about the differences between to two cousins here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-hvr-...0-hvr-z5j.html
Old January 21st, 2009, 10:45 PM   #74
Major Player

Quote:
Additionally, the Z5 does native 24p while the FX1000 does 24p over 60i. And the firmware is different, so there are a bunch more menu settings in the Z5 (much like the Z1 vs. the FX1). Debatable whether they are worth the price difference. Really an individual choice.

Lots of discussion about the differences between to two cousins here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-hvr-...0-hvr-z5j.html
Adam thanks for the link. I just poured through the 13 pages of discussion on that thread and from what i can tell it is 9 pages of speculation before the product was even released. The links out on the thread go to documents I remember reading last year and no new information. i saw a lot of comparisons between the Z7 and this line (probably because some people had Z7's at that time) but very little comparison between the FX1000 and Z5U. Also that thread has been closed by CH, so that brings me back to my question.

Has anyone on here actually shot with an FX1000 and a Z5U and can they give firsthand testimonial to what the differences are other than XLR audio inputs, 24p, and MRC attach point?

I never shot with Z1 or Fx1, so that doesn't really translate well for me. I have seen some of Jeff Harper's footage with the FX1000 and it seems awesome but is the Z5 any better?

I have not seen the notation about the FX1000 not doing 24p but that is okay because i don't fool with 24p, did it with the XL2 and saw no benefit only additional headaches in the workflow. But good intel on that because another thread reader that might be important to.

Rob-"shockless gain and WB changes" I haven't heard that term before. Are you saying that the transitions are smooth rather than the harsh changes we expect here? Which model has this feature and which does not? I can see how the WB would be a good feature (like following the bride and groom from inside to out with a smooth transition in WB) but I lock gain when i shoot so I dont usually change it. (personal pref)

MRC1 attachment, yeah i forgot that one, the B&H vid noted that too. Fx1000=no mrc1 attachpoint (but you can mount shoe or other) and Z5U attaches over battery.

So in summation we have
FX1000 24p over 60i / Z5U 24p
Fx1000 no MRC attachment point/Z5U direct attach
FX1000 no XLR / Z5U XLR

still fuzzy on gain and WB settings and which settings the firmware adds to Z5U not available on Fx1000.. Any thing else to justify the $900.00 price difference and the reason B&H lists FX1000 under consumer cams and Z5U under prosumer/ENG?

Looking to decide soon. Thanks and sorry about the long post.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:12 AM   #75
Inner Circle

I think you've probably nailed the main differences. In terms of the different menus, I suppose the best way to compare is to download the manuals (readily available everywhere) and open up two PDF windows and compare them.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/hdrfx1000.pdf beginning on page 64.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/hvrz5u.pdf beginning on page 66.

(By the way, many Sony manuals are available at this link if you just plug in the exact model number in exactly this format at the end. Make sure you get the prefix right -- hdr is consumer and hvr is pro -- and leave out the hyphen. No rhyme or reason as to which ones are or aren't available, though.)

Last edited by Adam Gold; January 22nd, 2009 at 01:20 PM.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000