DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   Capturing 24P (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/141398-capturing-24p.html)

John Nouel January 11th, 2009 11:56 PM

Capturing 24P

I got the camera. Amazing upgrade from a A1U. I'm almost finish in learning how to use all manual menus; focus, wb, expousure, gain, etc. Now I'm learning how to capture 24p.

I use FCP. What I understand is that the camera dont record natively in 24p but do a scan mode and that after it is captured you have to do a reverse telecine (pulldown technique, I think is the name?) to remove the extra frames and have a real 24p.

I really don't know how I should capture the video correctly. All my life I have captured videos in final cut with a DV NTSC in wide and normal firewire. But I really want to do it correct this time. I think that if I capture it in DV NTSC I wont get real HDV and will not be able to do the pulldown proccess to get the 24p, is that correct?

Searching the internet I have read several opinions but I came across to options:

1) Setup FCP to Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i60, capture preset HVD-Apple Intermediate codec, Capture the video, and use reverse telecine.

2) Setup FCP to Apple ProRes 422, capture preset Apple ProRes 422, etc.

Where I read this, they talk about capturing HDV and capturing a 24 progressive scan file, but neither about the FX 1000 Camera.

So, you know more than me. Enlight me. What is the correct preset, proccess. Should I capture in HDV? DV? How do I get the 24p? What should be the iLink configuration in the camera (HDV? DV? AUTO?).

Thank you very much for the help and excuse my english, its not my first language.

PD. I tried both options up there but The final cut just says "Cueing Tape" and captures nothing. Thanks again.

Jeff Harper January 12th, 2009 01:32 AM

iLink conversion set to off on cam when capturing footage. If it is on I believe it downconverts to SD.

I use Sony Vegas so I do not know what settings you should capture with on FCP. But it is true that the footage when coming from the camera is 60i, and the pulldown should be removed at some point. It doesn't HAVE to be removed, but if it is it will be easier to manage. It will also smooth out, I've heard. I captured 24p footage for one event and did not do pulldown removal (it was not a paid job) and it turned out fine. I have been advised to use Cineform Neo Scene to capture which will properly convert footage to 24p.

You might try posting in FCP forum for more details on using with FCP.

Good Luck!

John Nouel January 12th, 2009 05:56 AM

Thanks

I will try posting the same text on the FCP Forum. But one questino, I thought that the option of iLink conversion on the camara was just to activate the firewire port. For some reason the camera wasn´t recognized until I activated that option. Maybe the CUEING and there is no capture because the camera is downconverting to SD.

Have you seen a similar problem with camera recognition? Via what do you transfer your file? Firewire from camera or a separate deck?

Thanks again!

Jeff Harper January 12th, 2009 06:02 AM

I do not mean to be short, but check your manual. That's what I would do. It is possible I am mistaken, that is just how I remember I have it set. I did look in the manual for you but couldn't find it, but it's in there, I've read it before.

If I am correct then the issue is your capturing settings are not correct in FCP, I suppose.

John Nouel January 12th, 2009 06:12 AM

Yes

You´re right, there is information in the manual about iLink and capturing in HDV. I still have a problem with the camera recognition but I think is a FCP problem. Thanks again Jeff.

Jeff Harper January 12th, 2009 06:53 AM

I'm pretty sure you are right, FCP is not recognizing the HD mode for some reason, don't think it is a setting on your cam that is causing you issues, but who knows?

Marco Giordani January 15th, 2009 05:12 PM

John I had the same issue with FCP. What I found out that if you have always captured in DV NTSC you have to go under the Final Cut Pro> Audio/Video Settings> and change them.

Sequence Preset-- I have set to HDV 1080i60
Capture Preset-- I have set to HDV
Device Control Preset--I have set to Sony HDV Firewire

After I changed those settings when I imported it worked.

Hope this helps...
-Marco