DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   CinemaTone? Do you use it? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/141456-cinematone-do-you-use.html)

Chad Dyle January 12th, 2009 08:48 PM

CinemaTone? Do you use it?

I own a Z7u and just purchased an FX-1000. I was curious as to how many of you adjust these settings in the camera or do it in post? I like the option of doing my color correcting/adjusting later. Are there any benefits to doing it in camera vs. later?

Greg Laves January 12th, 2009 10:01 PM

I have just started to experment with the picture profiles so I don't have a lot of knowledge in this area. A couple of days ago I shot video of a friend driving his truck. I used cinematone 1 (I think) because it is my understanding that it cuts down the dynamic range of the scene. In the past when I have done this, if the driver was exposed well then the background sky was completly blown out. If you don't see any detail in the sky then it is hard to put it back in during post. With the cinematone profile selected, I could get a good exposure on the face and I could still easily see the coulds. So I think there is something there to be gained that cannot come out of post.

Tim Akin January 13th, 2009 08:41 AM

I'm a firm believer in doing what you can in camera. You just have to make sure that's the look you want, going back can be a pain or impossible to do. In a controlled environment yes.....run and gun....never.

Cinematone 1, used with black compress, gives a look I like....in good lighting.

Jeff Harper January 13th, 2009 08:50 AM

I would think Cinema Tone would be especially effective for the getting ready footage, unless the room has dark or very warm look to begin with. If the venue is relatively cool then the Cinema Tone would be especially nice.

I have used it once but the background had a very rich, warm look to begin with and it was too much.

Tim Akin January 13th, 2009 09:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's two frame grabs you can compare. I think the resolution was reduced when they were uploaded. You can really see a difference in full resolution.

The one that says on is cinematone 1, black compress on.

Greg Laves January 13th, 2009 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 994212)
I would think Cinema Tone would be especially effective for the getting ready footage, unless the room has dark or very warm look to begin with. If the venue is relatively cool then the Cinema Tone would be especially nice.

Jeff, like I said I am just getting into this area but from what I read, Cineamtone would be good for high contrast scenes like you would encounter outside in the sunlight. Scenes where whites and light colors could get really blown out but shadow detail would be lost on the other end. I would think it wouldn't be ideal of indoor shooting where the exposure latitude is much less. But maybe someone with more experience in this area can clarify this.

Jeff Harper January 13th, 2009 01:05 PM

Wow Tim, the black compress really helped the black in your photo. Nice. I use that setting also.

Greg, thanks for the message about the shoe adapter!

Chad Dyle January 18th, 2009 10:09 AM

Tim,

I agree with your No to "Run and Gun". Each Bridal Prep is so different that I think my "washed out" standard look is better. Correcting in post is going to be the safer method for me.
Can these presets be saved/swapped from camera to camera on the Sony Z7u? My old Canon XHA1 had lots of user created profiles that I pulled from this forum.

-Chad

Steve Haasman January 18th, 2009 10:16 AM

Good question Chad. I'd like to start a section for FX1000 saved setting files... like they have for the xh-a1. There is a large archive of presets.

Tim Akin January 18th, 2009 07:24 PM

That would be good!

Douglas Call January 20th, 2009 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 994365)
Greg, thanks for the message about the shoe adapter!

Jeff what message did Greg give you about the shoe adapter? I think you can buy a shoe apapter offset for the front shoe adapter for a small light (like the Frezzi Micro) maybe you can use the rear shoe for your light which would still allow you to still use the LCD.

Jeff Harper January 20th, 2009 06:04 AM

Actually he gave me a link to b&h for a NRG adapter. NRG | 59111 Accessory Tri-Mount | 59111 | B&H Photo Video

Douglas Call January 20th, 2009 08:50 AM

That's great I found several other much more compact adapters as well. Below is one that fits in the mike holder.

thej-rod.com