DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   Carrying strap for Z5U (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/142278-carrying-strap-z5u.html)

Bill Ackerman January 24th, 2009 10:38 AM

Carrying strap for Z5U

I'm a long-time still photographer that has joined the stampede to this new-fangled movin' pictures thing. I've had the 5ZU for a few days now and am having a blast playing with it - amazing little tool - so much to learn. It'll be a while before I can contribute anything of real substance, but here is something some might find useful:

For carrying the Z5U in the field, I have attached it to my BlackRapid RStrap (BlackRapid: Home). For me, it is perfectly matched to the Z5U. When not in use, the camera is out of harm's way behind my back, resting partially on my butt, with much of the weight distributed along my back, not the neck or shoulders. When I need to shoot some video, it is up and ready to use instantly. A clip in the tripod mount allows the camera to be quickly disconnected. I did not feel confident in the one provided, so I replaced it with a stronger, more secure one. The manufacturer said they would be shipping a better clip in October, but they have shipped nothing yet. Also, I know some photographers who do not like the RStrap. I think your body shape has a lot to do with how comfortable it is and how easy it is to move the camera into position.

So, I have been taking my new 5ZU everywhere, shooting as much as I can to learn more about video. The RStrap has made this much easier.

Bill

Adam Folickman January 24th, 2009 01:22 PM

Bill,

I watched the videos on the product. It looks like a cool product.

Does the Z5U feel bulky because of the weight if it rests on the lower part of your back ?

Also I would think you really have to be careful when moving around because the cam is not in view in your front.

Bill Ackerman January 24th, 2009 01:36 PM

Adam,

Not bulky at all. Of course I feel the weight of the camera, but it isn't uncomfortable and, since the camera is mostly behind me, the size isn't a factor. I'm used to carrying around a Nikon D300 with a big 200mm f/2 lens and the Z5U feels like a feather in comparison.

Bill

Greg Laves January 24th, 2009 06:01 PM

I have always used straps on my still cameras. I just can't imagine not using them without straps. However, I never use straps on any of my video cameras. It just seems like they always get in the way. I guess that doesn't make much sense. I have had numerous discussions (arguements) with a still photog friend of mine who refuses to put straps on his cameras because he feels the straps always get in the way.

Adam Folickman January 24th, 2009 08:42 PM

I use them on video cameras because I like to carry it around my neck.

I use this one for my digital camera and also my video camera. It is good because it is designed so the weight of the camera doesn't feel as heavy as it really is.

Op/Tech USA | Reporter Two Camera or Binocular & | 6501011