Suggestions - Batteries for FX1000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 24th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Suggestions - Batteries for FX1000

Need suggestions where to buy genuine sony batteries for my FX1000.

i know b&h is 99$ us
But im in Canada and our money doesnt worth much these days lol

Best price I found so far is 150$ cdn :S

And 30$ cdn from ebay.ca (hong kong or china)

Would you guys trust buying from hong kong?
its 30 + 12 cdn shipping. Seems like a good deal, and its all genuine sony batteries.

thanks for your help!
Jean Rousseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Inner Circle

At that price they're probably counterfeit. Many stories about this all over the web.

I can't understand why people cheap out on the one thing that can bring your entire day to a screeching halt, and for which the price difference for a quality product is only pennies per day over the life of the item.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Here you go, Jean....

Sony NP F970 Camcorder battery - Li-Ion 6600 mAh

Sony NP-F770 - Google Product Search

Use this to check on the sellers

Store Ratings and Reviews by Real People - Trusted Online Shopping
Adam Folickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm wondering if the replacement for np-f970 from adorama (54$) would be a good option?
Since it's from a source we can trust, i guess it may worth a try.

Is anyone able to use a aftermarket battery on their FX1000??
Old January 25th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Rousseau View Post
I'm wondering if the replacement for np-f970 from adorama (54$) would be a good option?
Since it's from a source we can trust, i guess it may worth a try.

Is anyone able to use a aftermarket battery on their FX1000??
I haven't purchased my FX1000 yet, but I would say no to the Adorama Sony batteries.

While Adorama is a very trusted reseller, their Sony batteries are missing the correct memory chip that Sony uses n their batteries. They will work with older Sony gear, but not newer Sony gear.

I say this because I purchased a few of these to use with my Sony HVL-LBP LED lights, and they don't work. The reason seems that Adorama doesn't use the right memory chips in their batteries. This is a problem with many off market batteries, as Sony has specific memory chips in their batteries that they change from time to time.

Adorama, and even Lenmar batteries work fine with my PD170's and FX1's, but not with the Sony LED lights. So I can pretty much guarantee that they won't work with your FX1000. As I have already heard reports of off market batteries having this problem with the Z5/Z7/FX1000 etc.

I will know persoanlly in a week or so, when I pickup my FX1000, but I would highly suggest spending the extra cash and purchasing authentic Sony batteries. As I m not expecting the FX1000 to work with after market batteries.

Yes Sony batteries are expensive, but you are guaranteed that they will work and they last you forever.
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #6
Major Player

I have several made by Lenmar I used with the Vx's that work fine with the 1000's. Just purchased another from the Battery Bank, it also works fine.
Old January 29th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Can you give me the exact model number so I can order one that will work with my FX1000, thanks

is it LIS-970P

thanks in advance
Old January 29th, 2009, 02:07 PM   #8
Contributor

This is correct. Do not order the previous model 950 as they had an older chip in them.
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #9
Regular Crew

thanks,

I'm trying to find a place to order 2 but i cannot find one that can ship to Canada, any suggestions? thanks

I've seen price from 55$ to 79$ but I dont want to pay over 60$

J-F
Old March 9th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #10
New Boot

I bought a no name 970 battery for my fx1000, it seems to work fine in the camera and it tells me minutes remaining, but when I run a battery check when the camera is off it tells me not to use this battery, if I keep using it will it damage the camera? I assume it is saying that because it has an older chip.
Dave LaNasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #11
Inner Circle

I would never buy anything but a Sony battery. The others are just not the same.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #12
Major Player

I've always used Sony batteries and have always had great results. You're spending a few thousand on a camera, why buy cheap batteries. The NPF 970 does a great job. With my PD-170 I go all night without ever turning off my camera. Now the Z5 is another story. With the MRC-1 attached, the camera is a battery whore. Then again, small price to pay for lightweight, solid state backup.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Morse View Post
With the MRC-1 attached, the camera is a battery whore. Then again, small price to pay for lightweight, solid state backup.
Before I got my Z7, several of the reviewers said the camera sucked up batteries. So I was prepared for that. But my experience has been pretty good with the battery life. At a recent full day commercial shoot, I had the camera on all day long (9 hours) and I used one NPF-970 and maybe 25% of a second NPF-970. I was shooting on tape and the MRC-1. I was pretty pleased with that. On a shoot this afternoon, I had a battery that had been used on another shoot for about 2 1/2 hours last Friday. I never charged it and I shot approximately 3 hours with it this evening. It is fairly dead now. The camera says it has only 45 minutes left but I know that is probably optimistic. BTW, I always have the LCD and EVF on all the time, as well.

On another note: I had a borrowed FX1000 when I first got my Z7 and 1 of my Sony original NPF-970 batteries would give a high temp warning whenever I put it on the FX1000, but it ran (and still runs) perfectly in the Z7. And the battery never was above 70 degree f. I never figured that one out.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Laves View Post
At a recent full day commercial shoot, I had the camera on all day long (9 hours) and I used one NPF-970 and maybe 25% of a second NPF-970. I was shooting on tape and the MRC-1.
That's what I used to get on my PD-170 but not on the Z5. I used it for about 4 hours of which it ran continuously for 1 1/2 hrs. It went dead at the end. I have the LCD and viewfinder on at the same time, along with the MRC-1, so I don't know if that decreases the life. I'll be experimenting a lot more in the next couple of weeks and I'll see what happens.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #15
Trustee

The MRC1 definitely shortens battery life. I'm not sure by what %, but it's easy to see when you connect or disconnect it.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000