Use of hot shoe FX1000 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old March 17th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
Greg I don't know about your metal plate on the FX1000 but on the Z5 is loose and with a sudden movement of the camera especially up and down you get the noise created by the loose plate recorded from the microphones right below it. Try it and see, but you have to wear headphones to hear it.

Stelios
Stelios, that seems odd to me. On my Z5, the metal plate has 2 sprung metal tongues in the grooves, which hold them secure - no rattling whatsoever. Perhaps on your particular example, the springs have got flattened slightly, allowing the plate to rattle. A simple solution may be to remove the plate "re-spring" the tongues and replace it. Or just leave it off...
Steve Renouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #17
Trustee

Steve
Thanks for your reply. That was it. Took the plates out (the front one was difficult to get it out) and "re-spring" the tongues as you have suggested and that did the trick. No more rattling.
I love these forums!!!

Stelios
Old March 17th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Steve
Thanks for your reply. That was it. Took the plates out (the front one was difficult to get it out) and "re-spring" the tongues as you have suggested and that did the trick. No more rattling.
I love these forums!!!

Stelios
Glad I managed to help with something!
Old March 17th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #19
Trustee

Steve
I see from your profile that you have both, Sony Vegas 8.0/8.1 and Corel VideoStudio 12. I also have Corel VideoStudio 12. I (Pro X2) and I am thinking of getting Vegas, Is it really that better from VideoStudio to justify the extra cost? Did you find it it easy to learn as easy as ViseoStudio? I have downloaded Vegas 7 last year (demo) but I found it very difficult and cumbersome to operate (compared ofcourse to VideoStudio). Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Stelios
Old March 17th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Steve
I see from your profile that you have both, Sony Vegas 8.0/8.1 and Corel VideoStudio 12. I also have Corel VideoStudio 12. I (Pro X2) and I am thinking of getting Vegas, Is it really that better from VideoStudio to justify the extra cost? Did you find it it easy to learn as easy as ViseoStudio? I have downloaded Vegas 7 last year (demo) but I found it very difficult and cumbersome to operate (compared ofcourse to VideoStudio). Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Stelios
Stelios
VideoStudio is certainly simpler to use than Vegas initially but with that simplicity comes limitation. Vegas has far more potential complexity but allows much more creative control. The level of complexity is totally within your control - depending on what you want to achieve - starting with simple cuts with a single timeline, to really complex multi-track extravaganzas. That's part of the beauty of it.

Really, the only reason I got VideoStudio 12 was to have access to previous projects, as I couldn't get Movie Studio Pro to install under VISTA. Movie Studio Pro was far superior to VideoStudio but still nowhere near as versatile as Vegas.

In Linux I have also used Cinelerra but you really need to know what's going on under the hood to be able to use all it's capabilities (command line stuff in preference to graphical UI).
I did produce some good results with it but, unless you're using it on a daily basis, the learning curve is really too steep to produce really complex projects.

My main reason for switching from Cinelerra/ManDVD on Linux was for the quicker, simpler workflow of Vegas/DVDA and the greater versatility of DVDA in terms of building menus etc. I'm still finding my way round Vegas (and a slightly different method of doing things compared to Cinelerra) but it's getting there slowly and with the help of the guys on here and SCS forums.

I guess, when it comes down to it, that's what you pay the extra for.
Old March 17th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Sony Vegas Studio Versions come with a built in tutorial that makes it pretty darn simple to use. It has a little hand that even shows you where to click on things. There is no way it could be easier to use.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #22
New Boot

Did you check out kdenlive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Renouf View Post
In Linux I have also used Cinelerra but you really need to know what's going on under the hood to be able to use all it's capabilities (command line stuff in preference to graphical UI). I did produce some good results with it but, unless you're using it on a daily basis, the learning curve is really too steep to produce really complex projects.
Did you check out kdenlive? While not as powerful in terms of features as Cinelerra, kdenlive is far easier to use, and its is making good progress in being able to handle AVCHD videos. kdenlive is based on ffmpeg, and updates are coming fast and furious with both kdenlive and ffmpeg in this area. For example the Linux equivalent of nVidia's Pure Video (known as vdpau) is now being supported by ffmpeg.

One needs to install the latest svn versions of both kdenlive and ffmpeg in order to obtain the necessary behaviour/performance. Some distributions are better than others in offering compiled versions of the latest ffmpeg/kdenlive svns.
Lee Matheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #23
Trustee

So guys what Vegas program shat I get? There are so may out there (Vegas 7, Vegas 8, Vegas 9 Vegas Studio...), Some help will be appreciated.

Stelios

P.S. Sorry if the subject changes a bit from the initial thread.
Old March 18th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Stelios, I recommend just purchasing the newest version of Vegas Movie Studio. But you should visit the link below and post your question there, its all about Vegas and they are very helpful.

What Happens in Vegas... - The Digital Video Information Network
Old March 27th, 2009, 02:53 AM   #25
New Boot

Shoemount

Does it not have a little plastic clip on? (you can use any kind even from a still camera, that will stop the noise)
Jo the metal plate is suposed to be there it is the "spring" plate to keep your acces. in place.
Ed
Ed Van Thienen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 04:26 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Garber View Post
Bummer. 10/20w lamps are a bit too intrusive for my taste.
It's a great little light and once you've put a Lumiquist Mini Soft-box diffuser in place, it's even better. You lose some light of course, but people won't be squinting as you film them. Once diffused it covers far more wide-angle, too.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #27
Major Player

I know this is getting OT but I have a Swit LED light and it is awesome. I replaced my 10/20 with it. Uses the same batteries and you can locate the battery anywhere on the camera to balance it out. It also has a dimmer.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Is this what you use Rob?

S-2010 On Camera LED Light with S-7200F Bracket for Sony

I'd like to see pics of it mounted, do you know of any?
Old March 27th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #29
Major Player

Jeff, that's it. Originally it was made for Varizoom but there was some kind of lawsuit with Litepanels so Vaizoom stopped selling them. If you go to the Varizoom site there is a picture but it's not great. I mount it on the top of the handle. When I used my WA lens it was nice because it balanced the camera. I used to use the 970 battery but now I use the one that came with the Z5. With the 970, I never came close to exhausting the battery. It seems like it would be flimsy but I've been using it for 1 1/2 years now. The dimmer is a must. It also has a diffuser the gives you good light coverage on the 16:9. I've recently been looking at the new Torch by Switronix. It has a built in battery so I'm assuming much lighter. We should make a separate thread on this.

VariZoom Lens Controls - Camera Controls, Stabilization Systems, Shoulder Supports, Tripods and Heads, LED Lights, Cranes, Monitors, Batteries

Switronix Product Details
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #30
New Boot

light

That is a great little light but the price is frightening I bought a SL-20LX Sima LED light with build in batt. for $79. cnd. and have seen similar ones at US sites for $49. us.
You can clip more then one together for more light (on one shoe) or have a spare one for longer use. They are very bright and give a nice neutral light. I likely will get at least one more.
I am playing with "softening" methods and do a custom WB when in use.
Ed
Ed Van Thienen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000