DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   Z5 v Z1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/142493-z5-v-z1.html)

James Curran January 27th, 2009 09:08 AM

Z5 v Z1

Hi all.

I've been contemplating purchasing a Z1E camera for a while, but now that the Z5E is out, I'm rethinking it all. One quick question - if the Z5E better than the Z1E how come it is priced lower? Is this to get people interested in it?

For recording interviews indoors with controlled lighting would the differences in quality be noticeable between the Z1E and Z5E?

Many thanks.

Gareth Watkins January 27th, 2009 09:36 AM

Hi James,

I own a Z1 and its a great camera, but looking at the spec of the Z5 if I were to chose now I'd take the Z5.
Just a few reasons:
Image is apparently better, it does proper 25P, it has a better zoom range. It allows tape and solid state media, it has 3 ND filters, and an iris ring on the lens, comes with a stock microphone...sure there are more...oh yes as you say its cheaper!!!

cheers
Gareth

Zach Love January 27th, 2009 11:58 AM

Z5 is going to be the better bet in every feature except for:

Z1 has CCDs (vs CMOS)
Z1 can do NTSC & PAL!

Do a search for the CCD vs CMOS to see why people don't like CMOS, then take a peek around the Z7 / S270 forum and see that none of the owners for the last year have had a problem w/ the CMOS.

As for NTSC & PAL, this is probably a feature that only 0.5% of owners use. You can pay Sony extra to convert the Z7 to NTSC & PAL.

I think the real question is Z7 or Z5.

The street price for the Z5 + CF card recorder is about the same price as the Z7. I personally like the Z7 more, but the Z5 has a 20x lens, which is the biggest selling point to the Z5 (I have to assume that the Z5 has better auto lens controls too). Other than that, the Z7 has more expansion possibilities, as well as a much nicer 4 position ND filter wheel.

Ilya Spektor January 27th, 2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zach Love (Post 1002006)
...I think the real question is Z7 or Z5.

The street price for the Z5 + CF card recorder is about the same price as the Z7. I personally like the Z7 more, but the Z5 has a 20x lens, which is the biggest selling point to the Z5 (I have to assume that the Z5 has better auto lens controls too). Other than that, the Z7 has more expansion possibilities, as well as a much nicer 4 position ND filter wheel.

Add to the Z5 vs. Z7 dilemma:

Z5 has a built-in stereo-mic (Z7 doesn't) but, due to that, the cold shoe is placed too close to the LCD screen... Also, even Z5's lens is wider and longer, at the same 12x Z7's standard lens is about 1/2 stop faster...

Uli Mors January 28th, 2009 01:29 AM

z7 vs z5

I´ve shot with Z7, Z5 and Z1/FX1.

The z5 is the "everyday handheld all situations" camera. Especially when the Iris Ring is set to "Exposure Mode" (controlling wide dynamik ranges by fluently changing SHUTTER > IRIS > Gain) the z5 is setup very fast.

Though I like the idea of changing lenses, Z5 has a nice zoom range (but you loose f-stops when zooming in), good wide angle and a crips picture.

Simply spoken, the hvr-z5 is a great event camcorder.

I also tried a HVR-Z7 on a high-end wedding film and I found it quite heavy after a while (like the z5 better) and wasnt too convinced about the smoothness of the focus ring when in full mechanical mode (z7 can be switched from manual to servo focus mode). My broadcast canon lens (YH12x4.8) is much smoother and more easy to set millimeterwise while shooting, perhaps this was a preproduction issue, dont know.

Since it will be a B-camera for my existing XDCAM HD I prefer the Z5 over Z7 because of its compact size and ease of use.

LCD is a big improvement over Z1/FX1, pic quality seems equal (?) but z5/z7 are more light sensitive, thats the next reason to go for it.
Be aware of flashlights (CMOS, Rolling Shutter) when doing slomos in post, thats the only drawback for my standard shootings, never had other issues with CMOS (I do no car racing videos...).

CF Recorder works like a charme, I´d wish to set CACHE RECORDING to less than 10s , 10s is a bit too much when shooting a lot of small clips (would like to have 2-3s as an option).

ULI

Greg Laves January 29th, 2009 01:31 PM

I have shot with the FX1, Z1, V1, Z7 and FX1000.

My opinions mirror Uli's opinions. Including the stiffness of the manual focus adjustment on the Z7. Except that I just found that everything seemed to fit me just a little better on the Z7. So that was my choice. I found the weight difference to be a non-issue with me. Any camera is too heavy for handheld work if the wedding toasts ramble on too long, for example. Even the VX2100 can get too heavy. But the bottom line is that I would be thrilled with either the Z7 or Z5.

If I were trying to decide today between a Z1 and a Z5 or a Z7, there is no real choice, IMHO unless the Z1 is much, much cheaper.

Paul Kepen February 4th, 2009 01:40 AM

Z-7/Z-5 weight difference

From the specs, it does not appear that there is much of a weight or size difference between the Z-7, Z-5, or even the EX-1. Ofcourse the specs don't include with battery. In your opinion after using both, is there a substantial weight difference, or does the Z-5 just have a better balance to it. Thanks - PK

Uli Mors February 4th, 2009 06:52 AM

Mass difference is about 1/2 kg (Z5/z7 to EX1).

Though that doesnt appear to be much, the ex1 is not that easy to hold while shooting handheld. I did no A/B comparisons at the same time, but I am sure the z5 is the winner regarding weight and comfort (handheld).
On the other hand , the EX1´s superior picture quality may be worth a hurting arm ;-)

ULI

Paul Kepen February 4th, 2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uli Mors (Post 1006337)
Mass difference is about 1/2 kg (Z5/z7 to EX1).

Though that doesnt appear to be much, the ex1 is not that easy to hold while shooting handheld. I did no A/B comparisons at the same time, but I am sure the z5 is the winner regarding weight and comfort (handheld).
On the other hand , the EX1´s superior picture quality may be worth a hurting arm ;-)

ULI

Thanks ULI,
that is interesting given that in the specs on the brochure's Sony puts out there is not that much difference. The battery must be quite a bit heavier.
Does anyone have clips comparing the two (Z-5/Z-7 to EX-1) that can be downloaded - full resolution to compare the difference in image?
Vimeo is great, but it's still adding more compression and degredation, thus you can't really see the actual image quality. My Canon HV-20 looks better then these - and I know that can't be the truth :)

Uli Mors February 5th, 2009 03:48 AM

The difference is visible (for pro customers): EX1 has less mosquito noise (35mbit compression vs. 25mbit HDV) and its Full HD picture needs no stretching (= no interpolation).

AND: The EX1 is 1/2 inch , lens is more "pro" , while Z5/fx1000 are 1/3 inch.
Dont forget the iris closes to STOP 3.4 when zooming in - means: avoid tele in lowlight!

Again: To me the EX1 / EX3 is a professional "broadcast quality" camcorder in a nice small housing while the Z5/FX1000 is a professional HDV camcorder.

If you need more pic quality and if you have the money, the ex1 is the better choice: quality-wise...

ULI

Ken Ross February 5th, 2009 10:03 AM

But let's not forget that editing with the EX's are a bit more taxing on computers.

Tom Hardwick February 5th, 2009 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uli Mors (Post 1006886)
Dont forget the iris closes to STOP 3.4 when zooming in - means: avoid tele in lowlight!ULI

At the price point we're talking Uli all lenses ramp like this - even the Z7's. The Z5 just looks as if it does it more, but that because (like the XHA1's) it has a 20x zoom.

So your warning applies to all camcorders.

tom.