z5 vs v1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 6th, 2009, 09:46 PM   #1
Trustee

z5 vs v1?

anyone compared the two?

have v1p, very happy with it but have a lot of hours on it and am thinking time to get a new camera.

is there a significant advantage to getting a z5?

all my work is studio / daylight / controlled - no low light / wedding style...

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #2
Major Player

While my situation was not exactly the same, it was very close. I had a V1U and I now have a Z7U. You mention that you usually have controled light so that the low light capabilities of the Z5 will not be a big difference. As for your wedding videos, I have heard several opinions that the Z5 is less bothered by flash photography than the V1, but I have no idea if that is a fact. Both of the cameras have 20x lenses and they share similar lens characteristics except that the Z5 is something like 20% wider which is a significant and usefull change. The Z5 now incorporates Exmor technology which will result in less video noise. And one of the most significant improvements, as far as I am concerned is the huge resolution increase in both the EVF and the LCD. I always felt that I needed to have an external monitor to assure sharp focus with the V1. But I feel I can trust the EVF and LCD on the Z5/Z7 to show me true focus without the need for an external large HD monitor. And one other improvement is the capability to add the MRC1 to the Z5 and operate it fully through the cameras controls. I hope this helps, Leslie.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:48 AM   #3
Trustee

thanks greg.....

actually i misrepresented myself a bit, it should have read:

all my work is studio / daylight / controlled - NO low light / NO weddings

that said, your opinion was most welcome, thanks.

one of the disadvantages to living 'rurally' here is my nearest supplier is over 300km away, so i sort of try and get a handle on things before i go to see them - there's nothing like a bit of touchy-feely before actually making a decision i know....

perhaps you could elaborate on the z5 being 20% wider - wider than the v1? what would that be relative to the sony .8 kit wide angle which i have attacked all the time (a weight i could well do without sometimes, but necessary).

thanks for your time,

leslie
Old February 7th, 2009, 08:18 AM   #4
Major Player

I should have stated that better, I guess. The lens on the Z5 is a wider ANGLE lens than the V1. That is what I was referring to. The Z5 lens is wider, the V1 has more telephoto. I think it is about the same as the .8 wide angle kit added to the V1.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 04:30 PM   #5
Trustee

again, thanks greg,

you've cleared up a couple of major points for me. i suppose my next step will be getting down to sydney for a hands on look at one.

all the best

leslie
Old February 7th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I think the biggest plus of the Z5 is the 1"/3 chips, a huge 78% more surface area than the 1"/4 V1 chips. This makes a very noticeable difference to the dof at any given focal length and aperture.

The CMOS chips don't sit well with electronic flash though. Canon and JVC with their new camcorders have stuck with CCDs until this problem is resolved. And don't forget Canon are masters with CMOS in their DSLRs.

The top screen is far better placed than the 'PD170' position adopted by the V1, but the Z5 is noticeably bigger if this bothers you. Like Greg says, the 20x zoom goes from wide to tele - better than the V1's normal to tele.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 04:50 PM   #7
Trustee

thanks tom,

dof is, of course, a major attraction, as for cmos - well i've only ever caught a few camera flashes (during press conferences and the like), and so far haven't had any complaints. i rather like the image from cmos as compared to ccd...

am curious to get my hands on one just to experience the various observations regarding the lens...

thanks

leslie
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000