Steadicam Merlin - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 11th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Tim, is your model with a plastic or metal gimbal?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #17
Major Player

Ok...gotcha Ethan. But I'll tell ya, if you add any more weight to that rig you will definitely want the vest, or use it in very short spurts.
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #18
Major Player

I think it's plastic Jeff, but I'll look when I get home and let you know for sure.
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Akin View Post
Ok...gotcha Ethan. But I'll tell ya, if you add any more weight to that rig you will definitely want the vest, or use it in very short spurts.
I know you are right about that, Tim. Ten pounds or so held in that position, I can imagine I'd be good for maybe two minutes tops. If I do buy this thing, I will have to build strength and endurance in my arms to use it for any length of time. I imagine it would take some serious endurance to get even 4 minutes of smooth continuous shots with it.

I'll look forward to your reply about the metal vs plastic. Thanks for your helpfulness, Tim.
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #20
Major Player

It is my understanding the Merlin with a metal gimbal will hold up to 7 pounds. Double check that first before you start throwing weight at it!

I've used my Z1 with a big, thick battery on it with no issue. However, my forearms aren't like Popeye's so I recently bought a HV30 specifically for the Merlin.

Whew!
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Cavett View Post
It is my understanding the Merlin with a metal gimbal will hold up to 7 pounds. Double check that first before you start throwing weight at it!

I've used my Z1 with a big, thick battery on it with no issue. However, my forearms aren't like Popeye's so I recently bought a HV30 specifically for the Merlin.

Whew!
Since you've used both heavier and smaller cams with the Merlin I'd be interested to get your thoughts on the differences between the two.

I've found that smaller cameras are harder to control and tend to get a little more finicky than the larger cams. Your take?

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Blake I was thinking the same thing about getting an HV30 for use with the merlin. It would be a killer combination in a well lit environment, but Ethan puts a damper on that idea!
Old February 11th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Blake I was thinking the same thing about getting an HV30 for use with the merlin. It would be a killer combination in a well lit environment, but Ethan puts a damper on that idea!
I never said it was impossible, just that I find the little guys harder to fly. My uneducated theory is that it's a mass issue, the greater mass of the larger cams tends to hold them in place better and makes them slower to change direction. Keep in mind that this is my personal opinion and who knows what other's experiences are.

I'm also a pessimist and tend to put a damper on most ideas.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #24
Inner Circle

I know that my heavier FX1000 is much better on tripod than my old 2100, the added weight really makes a difference.
Old February 11th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Compact flash

Quote:
I know that my heavier FX1000 is much better on tripod than my old 2100, the added weight really makes a difference.

I'll back that up Jeff. That was the first thing I really liked about the 1000/Z5 was it's just beautiful on the tripod.

Seems weighted nicer than TRV900/VX2000 and Z1 on the legs.

Hey I had a mate in yesterday and showed him just how quickly my old TRV900 goes in and out of rec/pause back into record.

He was blown away.

This is just something I am going to have to accept with the FX.

I guess all cameras have their pitfalls and one has to just work around any issues but gee I still can't get over seeing a shot and not being able to record it.

Should have waited for a Z5 as I understand recording to the Compact Flash unit gets around this problem.

I think I read this correctly on a post a week or so ago.

If this is correct this therefore would mean that one would be recording more footage to Flash card and less to tape because recording to tape has the 2-4 second delay when doing a quick rec/pause/rec sequence.

Hope that makes sense.

Can anyone out there back that theory up?
Martin Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Tim, is your model with a plastic or metal gimbal?
It's plastic Jeff.

There's a Z1U with a 970 listed in the Merlin cookbook which gives the weight as 5.2lbs.

Here's the link: Welcome to Tiffen - Steadicam Merlin Cookbook Settings

Panasonic HVX-200 5.4lbs here: http://www.merlincookbook.com/user.php

Last edited by Tim Akin; February 11th, 2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: added link
Tim Akin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Duffy View Post
Should have waited for a Z5 as I understand recording to the Compact Flash unit gets around this problem.

I think I read this correctly on a post a week or so ago.

If this is correct this therefore would mean that one would be recording more footage to Flash card and less to tape because recording to tape has the 2-4 second delay when doing a quick rec/pause/rec sequence.

Hope that makes sense.

Can anyone out there back that theory up?
Martin, I've got the Compact Flash Reader on order, but I'm pretty sure it elminates the delay since it starts a new file every time you hit record & stop. The Z5 has to be set to 'follow' as opposed to synchro if you use the Z5 without tape.

As far as the theory that you'd be able to record more to flash by eliminating the delay, it does make sense.

The Reader is really the major point for me going with the Z5 over the 1000. I think Sony really dropped the ball by not having external device control on the FX1000, but then again they may have thought that omission would sell more Z5s.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Martin, I have regretted on more than one occasion I didn't hold out for a Z5. I was in a hurry and bought what I could afford at the time.

The advantages are too numerous.

The FX1000 will work out fine, but my third cam will be a pro model, whether it be a Z1 or Z5.
Old February 11th, 2009, 06:02 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
If I do buy this thing, I will have to build strength and endurance in my arms to use it for any length of time. I imagine it would take some serious endurance to get even 4 minutes of smooth continuous shots with it.
Sounds like a good excuse to get or use the gym membership. Who says being a videographer won't get you in shape! :-)
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Martin, I have regretted on more than one occasion I didn't hold out for a Z5. I was in a hurry and bought what I could afford at the time.

The advantages are too numerous.

The FX1000 will work out fine, but my third cam will be a pro model, whether it be a Z1 or Z5.
Jeff, having used several FX1's and Z1's together, I can tell you that optically speaking, you I could absolutely not tell the difference in the footage taken. In other words, they are a perfect match to use as a set.

I have read that the FX1000 and the Z5 are in the same scenerio. Yes there are features on the Z5 that aren't on the FX1000 but from a visual perspective, those two should mate perfectly in a 2 camera shoot. So when considering your 2nd cam, I'd forget about a Z1 and go straight to the Z5...

Jon
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000