Wireless microphone systems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 17th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Wireless microphone systems

What would you guys recommend for a wireless system? I am going to shoot a wedding in a few months, and also have some random stuff lined up, such as dentist office/doctor/etc. I have been looking at the Sennheiser G2 100 model.
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #2
Major Player

In price vs features, the Sennheiser G2 system wins. If you can afford to spend more (perhaps a lot more), Lectrosonics is the industry standard. I have a Sennheiser system and love it. I have only had minor static in an 80x100 foot room filled with about 100-200 people with cellphones on. Very good for a sub $1,000 system.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

What kit do you recommend? I am looking at the $550 kit, but I am confused at what the $699 kit has to offer. There is some xlr wireless transmitter... Or I think that is what it is. Does this then allow you to use a condensor mic or a mic that needs powered?

And what is better the m2 or m4 mic?
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #4
Major Player

The XLR plug-on transmitter is for turning any XLR handheld or shotgun mic into a wireless mic. The G2 100 series doesn't provide phantom power, but the G2 500 series does.
The difference between the M2 and M4 I believe is the pickup pattern. One is omni and one is cardioid.
Old February 17th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

which would you recommend, for like a wedding or for an interview scenerio
Old February 17th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #6
Major Player

Sennheiser | Evolution G2 100 Series - UHF | EW112PG2 - B | B&H
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:21 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Haasman View Post
which would you recommend, for like a wedding or for an interview scenerio
The G2 kit is great - my friend is using it and he loves it. But you do need wireless mic for interviews. So you might want to add one of those to match the kit: Plug-on Transmitters | B&H Photo Video
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:43 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Sennheiser | Evolution G2 100 Series - UHF | EW112PG2 - B | B&H This is what I purchased.

I wanted a lavalier mic so you can't see it.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 03:46 PM   #9
New Boot

Steve... I've been following your thread since I'm also interested in getting a new mic set. One question, what kind of a camera mount do you use with the Sennheiser receiver? Or does the receiver have a built-in mount. I would favor a shoe mount that permits the receiver to lie flat on the camera rather that stick up.

Thanks, Bob
Bob Limberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:45 PM   #10
Regular Crew

The receiver mounts on the shoe, and I also ordered a Y bracket from adorama (free shipping on this item) for $29.99. This will allow shotgun mic and receiver at the same time.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:24 PM   #11
New Boot

Wireless mics and silk ties NO-NO!

I used my Sennheiser wireless omni a week ago on a ballroom dance instructor. My wife had cautioned me against using the mic on a silk tie. Sure enough any movement caused the tie to rustle and the mic would pick it up.

Otherwise the mic worked extremely well. Very strong signal with no dropouts.

cheers
Wayne Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:48 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Haasman View Post
The receiver mounts on the shoe, and I also ordered a Y bracket from adorama (free shipping on this item) for $29.99. This will allow shotgun mic and receiver at the same time.
Or you can get one of these: About Video Camera Wireless Receiver Bracket
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 09:53 PM   #13
Regular Crew

convert Sennheiser ME66 to wirelss???

Hi

I have a wired Sennheiser ME-66. What do I need to do to convert this to being wireless.

Is it simply get a transmitter for the end of the mic and a matching receiver?

Hoping I don't have to buy a new mic.
Martin Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 10:38 PM   #14
Major Player

You need the SKP100 or SKP500 depending on power requirements. The 500 provides phantom power.
Old February 24th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Limberg View Post
What kind of a camera mount do you use with the Sennheiser receiver? Thanks, Bob
I have a system that I have used for years. Really cheap and can easily be moved from camera to camera, if necessary. Industrial strength Velcro. I have often piggy backed receivers this way. I have never had one fall off yet. If you have to swap batteries or recievers, it makes them really easy to service. Of course, back in the day of BetaCams it was a lot easier to find a suitable flat surface to stick the Velcro to.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000