0.3x Fisheye Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old February 21st, 2009, 12:58 PM   #1
New Boot

0.3x Fisheye Lens

Hey, I'm new to the fourms and i've been searching around to see whether or not there is a 0.3x Fisheye for the Z5 or FX1000. I called around and Century says they won't be making one because of a vingetting issue. Does anybody know how bad this issue really is? And is it because when your zoomed out 100% the lens on the camera is already a wide? I've been told by a local store that if need be I can buy the fisheye for the Z7 and it will fit, however I don't entirely want to shell out $1200 for a fisheye lens thats going to be rubbish for my camera. Any input or alternatives would be very much appreciated on this topic, thanks.

PS. The cameras are being used to film rollerblading.
Nigel Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 01:46 PM   #2
Major Player

I have similar question since I want to get FX1000. Does anyone put wide-angle lens on FX1000/Z5? How much wider the image gets? I like the W/A distortion look, so it's not a problem.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 03:50 AM   #3
Major Player

There are mixed opinions about this, but I feel, that you do not need a WA. Note, that the FX1000 already has a very wide end as it comes from the shop. 29.5. And that wide is without disturbing distortions.
Jo Ouwejan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:07 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Ouwejan View Post
There are mixed opinions about this, but I feel, that you do not need a WA. Note, that the FX1000 already has a very wide end as it comes from the shop. 29.5. And that wide is without disturbing distortions.
I agree - and that's great for "regular" use, but both Nigel and I want that fish-eye look as it gives extra dynamic effect. So the question is - did anyone try to put 72mm 0.7x/0.4x W/A or 0.3x fish-eye adapter onto FX1000/Z5 lens?
Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:49 PM   #5
New Boot

I want to see what the Century guy has to say about this. Obviously they tried it to come to the conclusion that it wasn't worthwhile to make it.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:59 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Vignetting issue? With a fisheye lens? The whole point about a fisheye image is that you get a circular image contained within your rectangular frame. In other words vignetted corners are par for the course.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 03:26 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
Vignetting issue? With a fisheye lens? The whole point about a fisheye image is that you get a circular image contained within your rectangular frame. In other words vignetted corners are par for the course.
Some fisheyes dont vignette at all, they just greatly distort the image.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 01:50 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Ah - full frame fish-eyes. These are few and far between in the video game (they see 180 degrees corner to corner) but powerful wide-angles that barrel distort hugely are ten a penny.

Worth starting here on the Raynox site Nigel:

Raynox Video Camcorder Accessory Lens Index

as they do a huge selection of lenses and have very good demos on line.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:51 PM   #9
New Boot

Thanks for the response Tom, unfortunately still not quite what I'm looking for with the Raynox lens'. I think Lukas and I are both looking more off for a lens like this one.

http://ideal-photo.de/Bilder/Vorsatz...0089Kamera.JPG
http://ideal-photo.de/Bilder/Vorsatz...0091Kamera.JPG

I know Century makes one like it for the Z7 that fits on the Z5 as I mentioned before. I'm just uncertain of its performance due to these rumoured problems with vignetting that I imagine are quite bad for them to not release the lens.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:12 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Joseph View Post
I know Century makes one like it for the Z7 that fits on the Z5 as I mentioned before. I'm just uncertain of its performance due to these rumoured problems with vignetting that I imagine are quite bad for them to not release the lens.
I think there is nothing else to do then just make a trip to B&H and try few adapters on FX1000/Z5.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:52 PM   #11
New Boot

Fisheye on Z5u

I've used the 0.4 fisheye by 16x9. Doesn't have a circular field and is a bit soft at the corners at times (keep app. small) but not too bad since the effect is more than worth it. Makes clouds and big horizons look great. There's a bunch of that lens in there but most surely check shots at 1:00, 1:14 and 1:32 also the end sitting shot @ 2:10. Overcranked a bunch of that footage as well and was able to audio trigger the smooth slow feature to get shots of myself when I was by myself just before I would hit a jump!!
(Better Life on Vimeo)
This was the first test tape I did when I got the camera, still trying and figuring some things out but have been generally blown away by what I can do for the price!!
Thanks for all the recommendations on the camera. It's an excellent film tool
Rich Strang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:20 PM   #12
New Boot

Thats a pretty sick video and some seriously sick DJ's/ trails. What do you ride? Thanks for the lens idea I'll definitely look into that unless Lukas finds a good fish at B&H.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:34 PM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
What do you ride?
Santa Cruz Bullit as well as a Transition Double, Also got a V-10 for when stuff gets real big
The camera is almost as fun as the bikes especially when I'm feeling my age
Rich Strang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:48 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Thats a pretty sick video and some seriously sick DJ's/ trails. What do you ride? Thanks for the lens idea I'll definitely look into that unless Lukas finds a good fish at B&H.
That's exactly what I wanted to see :-)
Old February 24th, 2009, 03:19 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Wow Rich - lovely film! Brave cutting indeed. And even braver jumping - those boys (you included) are mad, and it shows up well.

Such very short focal lengths need spotless spotless optics though (you know what I mean), but this is a nit-pick in a film that's so full of variety in pace.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000