DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/)
-   -   FX1000 UV Filter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z5-hdr-fx1000/144396-fx1000-uv-filter.html)

Dave LaNasa February 22nd, 2009 11:00 PM

FX1000 UV Filter

Hello all, I am new to this site, I am getting an FX1000 next week and I would like to order a UV filter so I have it when the camera arrives, I have done searches and still can't figure out which one would be the best for this camera, I understand some do not fit with the lens hood on, also cost is not an issue I would like a nice quality one, thanks in advance.

Greg Laves February 22nd, 2009 11:12 PM

I know that Nikon makes some great (expensive) filters. Their circular polarizer is on my wish list. All of their lenses are designed to be very thin to reduce the possiblity of vignetting.

I expect to get flamed for saying this, but I don't use UV filters for normal usage. For one reason, I find that it does reduce the available light very slightly. I fully understand the benefits. It is just a choice I make.

Tom Hardwick February 23rd, 2009 03:20 AM

Greg won't get flamed, he'll get a manly hug round the shoulders from me. You don't say why you want a UV Dave - remember that all glass absorbs UV, so adding an extra element to the lineup of 15 is totally unnecessary and what's more, somewhat degrading.

You shooting in sandstorms maybe? Then a UV will protect your front element. But with focal lengths down in the 4 mm area avoid using filters for as long as you can as the flare levels can increase dramatically - especially as your stock hood's efficiency will be reduced by fitting one.

If you MUST then make sure its a SHMC filter. You'll be effectively adding another element to your zoom's line-up, and being the front element remember it is the most important of the lot.

tom.

Dave LaNasa February 23rd, 2009 10:35 AM

Thanks, I guess it does not have to be a uv filter, just something that will protect the glass from dust and possible damage, it just seems that people use a uv filter for that.

Tom Hardwick February 23rd, 2009 10:41 AM

Yes, people used to use a UV for 'protection', but that was generally in the 35 mm film days when surface multi-coatings were a lot softer and focal lengths a lot shorter.

Martin Duffy February 23rd, 2009 04:46 PM

To UV protect or not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 1016902)
Yes, people used to use a UV for 'protection', but that was generally in the 35 mm film days when surface multi-coatings were a lot softer and focal lengths a lot shorter.

Tom a friend of mine borrowed my FX1000 the other day and being the nice guy he is he bought me a "Hoya" UV filter.

Are you suggesting its best to not use a UV filter as it degrades the picture quality a little?

Do you simply not put anything in front of the lens?

tar.

Tom Hardwick February 23rd, 2009 05:45 PM

Martin, you've bought a 20x zoom lens that has 15 elements in its lineup, the most important of which (from a flare control pov) is the front element. OK, you don't think Sony has given you a good enough front element, and you want to add another. Fair enough, but do make sure that it's a Hoya SHMC UV, and no other.

When you add a filter you effectively shorten the lens hood, thus reducing its efficiency. And it's at wide-angle that you need the front element to be absolutely spotless simply because of the enormous dof at focal lengths in the 3 mm area. Adding an extra piece of glass adds two air-to-glass surfaces that you must keep spotless. Difficult, as many shots into the light will attest to.

So in answer to you question - no, I don't put anything in front of my lens - except my T* coated wide-angle converter. Mind you, if I was asked to film a sticky-fingered children's party I might relent for the day.

Surface coatings are really hard these days. My Zeiss T* multi-coated spectacles are cleaned every day under the tap, and dried on pulped Canadian Redwoof (kitchen towel). The coating is as perfect as the day I got the glasses. So don't be afraid of cleaning your front element, gently and carefully, with a well-washed micro-fibre cloth.

tom.

Martin Duffy February 23rd, 2009 07:42 PM

Lens protection

[QUOTE=Tom Hardwick;1017191]Martin, you've bought a 20x zoom lens that has 15 elements in its lineup, the most important of which (from a flare control pov) is the front element. OK, you don't think Sony has given you a good enough front element, and you want to add another. Fair enough, but do make sure that it's a Hoya SHMC UV, and no other.

Thanks Tom, I jsut never forget the scratch I put on my old TRV900. Never knew how it got there but a UV filter would have saved it!

The other thing is to that these cameras now come with these great lens hoods and so the risk of getting damaged is much less.